This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUPID COWORKERS!! Whaaarrgarrrbl!!

For the love of.. I cannot comprehend what my workplace was thinking, hiring "Support" reps solely based on their ability to speak a non-English language. I mean it - that was the ONLY requirement... these folks have NO tech background, NO logical troubleshooting ability, and NO ability to work through a problem on their own!

Even when the answer is staring them in the face. :|

Here's a real-life example I got shoved in my face this morning:

A = Agent Idiot Boy
    M = Me

A (walking up to my desk): Do you remember that old email delivery issue we had last week? I think it's the same issue.

M: Uhhh.. you think what is the same issue?

A: Oh, this customer is getting an error message when sending email to <domain>.

M: And what was the error message?

A: Uhhhh... (Walks back to desk, doesn't return)

So I do some digging, and turn up this gem, IN THE TICKET Agent Idiot Boy has in front of him! I'll bold the really relevant parts, but, y'know.. if you READ the information in front of you, then you just might find an answer!

From: Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@pp0100irs001.ciscomail.com>
    Date: 03 May 2010 20:07:51 +0000
    To: <user@domain.com>
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

The following message to <otheruser@otherdomain.com> was undeliverable.
    The reason for the problem:
    5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old)
    554-<ServerDetailsDeleted>

<Company> requires that all mail servers must have a PTR record with a valid Reverse DNS entry. Currently your mail server does not fill that requirement. For more information, refer to: <SITE>'
    Reporting-MTA: dns;

Final-Recipient: rfc822;<otheruser@otherdomain.com>
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old)

------ End of Forwarded Message

So, basically, the Idiot Boy got this case, got confused by all the words, and wanted to hand it off to someone else.. when the big words that confused him included the resolution to his issue.

This ended up being something that's pretty significant - fortunately, we reviewed the ticket after dumdum walked away, or it would have sat for another full day (he's off tomorrow).

You're a tech, but you cannot read through large blocks of text, you do not know how to use Google (another story) and your primary skillset is speaking another language - not tech support. PROTIP: You're NOT A FREAKING TECH.

This guy needs to get fired, so he can get his tech chops up with an ISP, not a top-level SAAS company like mine. God, I hate working with this guy.

Ouch! This guy really has no place in professional tech support.
    It's pretty obvious why the mail wasn't delivered and what/where to check, but you have to read and understand a mail header.

So, who deleted the corresponding PTR record for the MX record in the reverse lookup zone file? Or did the zone transfer got messed up? <ponder> I can think of lots of reasons why the poor mailer-daemon didn't receive a response to it's reverse lookup request, but it all boils down to there's something wrong with the DNS-server and that is a very bad thing!
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

It's not even that complicated.

I've been explaining to people at my work why emails were bounced for over a decade.

.... most of them still can't manage to figure out how to do that for themselves... >.<

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
      X