This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of our reporters died...

I got into work a few minutes late today and noticed that the two editors here were on phones away from their desks, and that there were way fewer reporters around then there should have been. There was just this sense of foreboding in the air...it's hard to describe but it's like you can tell something bad is going on. But welcome to the newsroom, I thought maybe the older folks up here (there are plenty, the editors included) might just be upset over President Ford's death. But while I was still sorting things out on my desk to get ready for the day, one of the editors came over to me and told me they'd found Sheila dead in her home. She was only in her 30's or 40's, if that, but they think it was natural causes. We had been trying to contact her yesterday but just figured she was out of pocket for the holidays.

Just kind of trying to pull myself together at the moment and get to work on my obits here. I know already I'll be writing her's later and I can definitely say I'm not looking forward to that one coming in. I have a bit to wait and get the idea sunk in, though, since I'm sure an autopsy will be done.

I didn't see Sheila a lot because she worked out in one of our branch offices, but she'd come by now and then to pick up her paychecks or talk to the editors about something. I remember on either her first or second day here, while she was waiting on her office to get set up, she came and sat at the desk next to me and worked for a while and the two of us chatted nonstop about wrestling for at least half an hour.

All the editors have gone to her mother's house to check on her and make sure she's doing okay, so I'm de facto in command while they're gone. Wish me luck, pray for me, or whatever it is ya'll do because I figure I'll be holding the place together for the next few days and I could use all the help I can get.
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

I am so sorry to hear that.

Poor thing.

My sympathies to you and your co-workers, and to the woman's family.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that! That must have been quite the shock for you and the office. My condolences.
      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Currently in the process of doing whatever it is I do on your behalf, Myst.

Sorry to hear about the sad news and sending all good wishes your way.
        Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Working...
        X