This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Enough To Leave You Scratching Your Head

I had to explain to a customer what a cake donut is tonight. Yep, that's right. I had to take him over to our donut case and show him the cake donuts in there. Our most common donut, the one we mix up oursevles, drop in oil and cook, is our cake donut. There was an entire tray there. He pointed to come cinnamon buns and ring donuts in the case and asked if those were cake donuts. No. Sorry. I walked away shaking my head and wondering WTF. Seriously.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Actually I was going to ask what a cake donut was.... then I googled First time I've heard the phrase
    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Never heard the phrase myself, the only types of doughnuts we get over here in England are ring or jam filled

still I assume that your cabinet is clearly labelled so I can see the suck
      "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
      Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Never heard of a cake donut either...
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Cake donuts rise from being cooked in the oil. If I remember my food history right, I believe they were introduced in America by Dutch settlers.

Yeast donuts are allowed to rise (or rest) 'before' being cooked in oil. This is the type of donut most people are familiar with.

*edit* Both types rise while cooked in oil, but the textures are different due to amount of flour and other ingredients, one is a batter, the other is a dough.

Cake donuts have a batter consistency similar to cake batter both before and after they are cooked. They also allow for add ins, like berries and nuts in the batter, whereas yeast donuts do not and must be topped or filled with such things after being cooked. Cake donuts are 'almost like' muffins or cupcakes being cooked in oil instead of the oven.

Both cake and yeast donuts are yummy in my opinion.
          Last edited by r2cagle; 06-08-2010, 04:43 PM.
          Make a list of important things to do today.
          At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
          Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Wow, um, brain burp on my part, maybe? See, our cake donuts are the main thing we make. Just...donuts. Ours look kind of like this Yummeh. Cagle, thank you for the eloquent explanation. What made the customer brain-burpy was the fact that, again, these are the main donuts we serve, and everyone who knows our stores KNOWS that!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Eh... no problem... I grew up in Pennsylvania, right across the border from New York... the land of Amish, Danish, and German settlers. I know my doughnuts. Eh... take that back... I edited prior post.

But I still go for the funnel cakes - everytime.
              Last edited by r2cagle; 06-08-2010, 04:39 PM.
              Make a list of important things to do today.
              At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
              Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I've never heard of the term cake donut either

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                  Never heard the phrase myself, the only types of doughnuts we get over here in England are ring or jam filled
                  Hey, there's more than that around in England. The local Sainsbury's to my office (central London) does custard filled (as I only found out today, due to a co-workers birthday).

Comment

For a different sort of donut treat, get a package is dairy case rolls (not biscuits). Poke a hole in the middle of each roll, then deep fry to a golden brown (be sure to flip them over part way through). Drain then sprinkle with powdered sugar. The result is something like a cake donut. My mother used to fix them all the time when I was a kid since they were much cheaper, and quicker to make, than regular donuts.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I used to tell customers that the yeast rings were the fluffy donuts, and the cake rings were the chewy ones.

Worked most of the time.

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
                        Actually I was going to ask what a cake donut was.... then I googled First time I've heard the phrase
                        Most people don't use the cake part because your standard doughnut will be a cake doughnut. As opposed to a raised (the yeasty ones, and the ones that get filled), old fashioned, or buttermilk.

I want to know what people consider to be a "ring" doughnut, though. The 'net doesn't seem to have a consensus on that one.

My mom used to make buttermilk doughnuts once in a while. Sooooo tasty.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          I want to know what people consider to be a "ring" doughnut, though. The 'net doesn't seem to have a consensus on that one.
                          ^-.-^
                          Ah that's easy.. one with a hole in the middle
                          Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            Most people don't use the cake part because your standard doughnut will be a cake doughnut. As opposed to a raised (the yeasty ones, and the ones that get filled), old fashioned, or buttermilk.
                            Not around here. Yeast donuts are the norm. You need to specify if it's not going to be the fluffy yeast donut or people will think you'll pulling one over on them.

I love yeast donuts, particularly when they're still warm, but not a hugs fan of cake donuts. Probably because when I think of a donut, that's not the texture I want, so it's disappointing.
                            The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

this thread makes me very hungry .....

Comment

Working...
                              X