Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

Has anyone been fired from Wal-Mart?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Bagger

Default Has anyone been fired from Wal-Mart?

Ok, without getting into too many details, I am most likely facing termination from Wal-Mart after more than 5 1/2 years. If you get 4 write-ups within a 12 month period you're automatically terminated. I'm at 3 right now with a 4th pending (2 were massive brain farts that I had, and one was bogus for "poor job performance"). After the 3rd one I was very angry and went home, went on my facebook account and posted a rant that ended with "Wal-Mart can kiss my ass!" One of my "friends" printed it out and it ended up in the hands of the store manager. I'm pretty much cooked, as this violates the "social media policy."

Has anyone here been fired from Wal-Mart? Will this be a "not eligible for re-hire" situation, as I don't want prospective employers finding out that they wouldn't hire me back. Also, what is their policy on telling people why you were fired? Do they disclose the reason in detail, or do they just say "we wouldn't hire him/her back?"

I admit I messed up, but I don't want to have to work in some sort of crappy job for the next 2 years just to get some more job history because I messed up.

Also, what is the best way to handle the issue when asked why I left my last employer on job applications and interviews? I'm seriously freaking out here that I completely screwed myself over and I've been kicking myself for 2 straight days.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Whys Acre

hoo boy... and that's what this site if for... ranting anonymously.

I don't know anything about Walmart policies. But maybe you could go to store manager and throw yourself at their feet and beg for mercy?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Moderated Poster

Delete it, claim photoshopping.

I was fired from walmart, no-rehire. I doubt you'll be eligible for rehire if you're "publicly" badmouthing the company. Technically, they're not allowed to say anything other than you were terminated, but everyone finds ways. I don't think they can say exactly WHY you were fired.

Or quit before they fire you so you can say you quit. I'm kind of serious about the photoshopping thing though, especially if your manager is technologically impaired.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Moderated Poster

This is why I don't rant on facebook, unless I block the few people I have let on from work from seeing it but even then try not to rant to much just little things. OF course I had a thing about my hours posted today and now my dad stormed into my room to bitch at me becasue I made the mistake of finally letting my mom on my facebook since she promised not to bitch about every little thing. I guess some things are better left not said.

edit:
Also, I could see if you were actually making threats but venting shouldn't be held against you, I second the. PROVE it. Which is why if, I'm every told again someone said I said something its going to be "Can I hear the audio?"

Last edited by underemployeed; 06-23-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Bitter shell of a human being

Where I worked, it was almost impossible to get fired. There was a guy that would not show up for days on end, they would fire him, and he would show up for his next shift and they wouldn't say a word.

Another guy that regularly sexually harassed all the women (multiple complaints), took pictures of their butts on cell phones, stalked them in the break room, and didn't get fired until a customer complained.

And they would rehire people 6 months after they actually HAD fired them for not showing up, to do the same job.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:18 AM
graveyard cashier

I can understand the fear with the policies the way they are. I have discovered that I was put on a no-rehire list for Wal-Mart since working there for just over 4 years. It does not seem to matter what they fired you for though, most other companies will look at hiring you anyway. Yes, I will admit that I was fired for a very dumb reason, and had bogus write-ups as well. I was accused of sexually harassing a fellow employee that was the one doing the harassing, I got the write-up when I complained about him to one of my managers. So to any company you put in your resume to I suggest you simply tell the truth, tell them that while yes you made a few mistakes you are willing to learn from them. I bet that you will have a better job very quickly. I did that with one of the places I have worked since then and it was much better, at least until I got a manager who had issues with my religion (another tale for another time). That said, where I am now I am much happier than I ever was at Wal-Mart, the only thing I miss is the discount, really. Good luck either way. Oh, and whatever you do, if you think the manager is an idiot, don't EVER tell them. Trust me, that was not a good idea, even though it felt really good to tell him what I thought. Okay, I admit that write-up I deserved, and I signed it admitting that I knew I deserved it. Sadly, I found out about the no-rehire the same day I learned that the manager that had fired me had also moved to Texas, go figure.
Sorry, I did not mean for this to get so long. I did chalk the whole mess up to lessons learned though, and try to keep my mouth shut a little more now. Again, good luck.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Photo lab victim

You can appeal right up to the district office. Also they came out with a 1800# for open door issues last week due to the open door policy not being uniformly applied so you can go higher if you need to. Do not Friend people on face book if you work somewhere and are going to complain about it. And rehire is decided store to store but if you are in the system as a no-hire only that store can remove you from the list. Some stores are liberal in removing people, others are hard asses. Your best bet is to try and get one of the other write-ups removed.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Front End Supervisor

Wow, wish I had been there when they had that open door policy.

I know there is also a lists of when you can be hired back. My friend could have been hired back after a year of not showing up on time. They are supposed to go through with it on your exit interview, but I didn't do my exit interview because they forgot or something (manager was canned and so no one else thought to do it even though most knew.)

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Moderated Poster

Also, get a livejournal and add no one to it. Friend lock all the entires. You get to rant all you like and no one ever sees it. Even more secure, create a folder on your computer and write up all your rants in word. They never hit the internet. Its just safer. A lot of companies have a "bad media" policy now.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Awesome bitch

Or, you know, just bitch out loud and leave it off the internet. If it's online, and they're determined, they WILL be able to access it. If it's not online, nothing to find.