This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't kill you.... You're Welcome!

Not really sure if this person was a total SC, but it was a case involving a severe lack of manners.

Background: Since Tim Horton's is a restaurant type thingie, food allergies were of course a concern. We used peanut oil on our cookie sheets, so the food was out for anyone with nut allergies.

I was working the evening shift, 3-11, I believe. Nice shift, there's a dinner rush, then you've usually got plenty of time to get things organized and arranged so the midnight shift has a little less to do. Plus, usually there aren't any tour buses around this time.

Lady comes in with someone whom I presume to be her sister and asks me if the soup has any eggs in them because she's allergic.

I sort of immediately panic because I have no clue, so I tell her I'll go check. There was nobody else in line and drive thru was empty, so I check what kind of soups we have on today, then take off into the back.

I spent the next ten minutes or so finding the boxes with the appropriate soup mixes and learning more about egg and egg by product names than I ever wanted to deal with in my entire life while trying not to drop rather densely packaged boxes of soup on my head. Every few minutes, I also have to peer out in the front to double check that there aren't any more customers gathering. To my great relief, one of the soups we have on doesn't seem to have anything I can recognize as egg or egg related.

So I come out of the back, beaming and tell her that she does indeed have an option.

She orders that, pays, gets her food and all is right in the world and as there is no ambulance called, it's safe to assume there were no gastrological difficulties.

You'll notice the lack of a thank you, though.

Now I don't consider this going above and beyond the call of duty or anything and food allergies are a damn serious business and not to be messed with, but you'd think that someone taking ten minutes to double check would at least warrant a thank you or some other kind of acknowledgement.

Am I overreacting on this one?
    "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
    - Raven

Not overreacting

I don't think so. People with allergies know how hard it is to be able to go out to eat. One would think that this woman would have made some comment of appreciation. Positive reinforcement for the restaurant and all...
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

A significant number of people with allergies ... don't.

One lackwit phoned us claiming that we'd added gluten to our wheatbran, what with us having added a warning that it does, in fact, contain gluten. She did her level best to tell us that she would die if she ate gluten, being a coeliac.

After some exchanges, the customer services person asked her if her doctor had given her a list of food to avoid. What had a doctor to do with it, asked the alleged customer. It turned out that she'd filled out a questionaire in the back of a magazine and it had proved she's got coeliac disease.

Most also don't know the difference between an intolerance and an allergy. Quite a number of people have intolerances to one degree or another - milk has a reaction on me similar to a chemical attack - but they're generally harmless.

Still, it sells the stuff.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        After some exchanges, the customer services person asked her if her doctor had given her a list of food to avoid. What had a doctor to do with it, asked the alleged customer. It turned out that she'd filled out a questionaire in the back of a magazine and it had proved she's got coeliac disease.

Rapscallion
        This is why they should boot all those stupid hypochondriac quizzes from paranoid ladies' magazines. The only 'self-determining for a doctor's query' ones they should keep are pregnancy tests, Meningitis posters and those things that lead you from a to b to answer on what to do if someone falls down (epilepsy, diabetes, heart attack etc.)
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I'll admit I've self-diagnosed my only food allergy, but that was because a small bite of crabmeat gave me the exact same reaction I get from a properly diagnosed allergy to grass pollen.

But I'll also make sure to say thank you when I ask someone to check if something has shellfish in it. Granted, I say thank you after I get my food anyway. Maybe that's why some places in the food court give me bigger helpings ^_^
          Last edited by Arcade Man D; 01-13-2007, 05:52 PM.
          Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

I am gluten intolerant (NOT celiac disease), but the only way to prove it medically is to have me eat a bunch of gluten and then they take a biopsy of my intestines (yes, cutting into my body in a surgical procedure) and seeing if the sample shows signs of destruction and freaking out. My older son has the same problem.

Both of our doctors said flat out that if not eating gluten worked, then don't eat it. Getting the biopsy was a painful and excessive procedure for verifying a condition that would be treated the same way after the test as it had before.

However, if the symptoms were extreme and indicated celiac disease they would have had the test done.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

And many people with allergies seem to believe (SCs are everywhere!) that the world should completely remake itself for them. They'll expect restaurants to provide meals just for them that would require the restaurant to clean and bleach much of the kitchen, and make everyone else in the restaurant wait, just so they can eat out. Then, when the diner is told that it can't be done, they go into full SC mode.

Have you heard how some schools here in the U.S. have a zero tolerance policy for peanuts? No student can bring in any form of peanuts (good-bye PBJ) if even one child has serious peanut allergies.

These children are so allergic that supposedly breathing in a few molecules of peanut will cause them to go into anaphylactic shock. So the parents demand that the school be peanut free.

My problem with this is that did the parents restrict the child to only their home and school? Of course, not! They take their children out in public, to restaurants, to friends' homes, even to grocery stores filled with peanut products, and somehow the children survive this.

Your allergies are your responsibility (as much as possible, someone wearing a ton of cologne around the office that you can't avoid is different).

People suck.
              Document everything

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                This is why they should boot all those stupid hypochondriac quizzes from paranoid ladies' magazines. The only 'self-determining for a doctor's query' ones they should keep are pregnancy tests, Meningitis posters and those things that lead you from a to b to answer on what to do if someone falls down (epilepsy, diabetes, heart attack etc.)
                On a lighter note, a mate of mine took for a laugh one of those magazine pregnancy tests and it came up positive. The problem? My mate is male.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Every man should read some Cosmo quizzes. They're scary and should be banned.
                  Document everything

Comment

I survived a decade in retail. There is little that terrifies me.

Rapscallion

Comment

Food allergies

I should mention, that a good friend of mine is completely allergic to milk, not lactose intolerant, but allergic to the other chemical thingie that makes up milk. It's to the point where she'll have a reaction if her boyfriend was eating something cheese and doesn't brush, floss and gargle before kissing her. There's a risk of death involved, it's a serious thing.

So yes, I've seen her get rather annoyed when she finds that her burger has cheese on it, and she has to ask the servers a ton of questions about food preparation, but never to SC proportions. To some servers, she would probably seem like an SC for being so fussy, but she always explains the situation. I mean, she's trying to save her own life here.

That being said, she always tips extremely well and she always offers sincere and profuse thanks to the server.

Wow, that got longer than expected.
                      "Being crazy was the only thing that kept me from going insane."
                      - Raven

Comment

A significant number of people with allergies ... don't.

Rapscallion
                        I can't eat nuts, and I check for the warnings on packaged foods and if I'm not sure about something in a restuarant I will ask the waiter. But I'm not really allergic, either, just phobic. I had a bad experience once and haven't eaten them in years. But I don't make everyone else in the world responsible for making sure I don't eat something.... I have a friend who really is allergic to peanuts and he's less uptight about food than I am. Go figure.

-ams-
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Writer Cath View Post
                          Now I don't consider this going above and beyond the call of duty or anything and food allergies are a damn serious business and not to be messed with, but you'd think that someone taking ten minutes to double check would at least warrant a thank you or some other kind of acknowledgement.

Am I overreacting on this one?
                          Nuts to the whole "above and beyond" idea, the whole concept of manners as a general practice is lost on most folks.
                          Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

And this is why, when you fill out those questionaires there is a disclaimer saying either "for entertainment purposes only", or "if you get XXX result, go see your doctor". But of course she didn't read that far...

Comment

I told my mate to go see a doctor after his result on the pregnancy quiz, after all it means he's a medical miracle. XD
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X