This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Loving" the Bad Economy...

...but only for one specific reason. The bosses think there won't be enough money to have a Christmas party for the faculty/staff of our school this year. Which is music to my ears! Is there anyone else who has never gotten to actually ENJOY holiday parties where they work because they're expected to serve the food and drinks and clean up the mess? I really hope they don't manage to pull something out of their butts for a party this year so I don't have to spend several hours pretending to enjoy serving punch and cleaning up the crumbs and washing all the damn dishes.

During the IT boom, one of my former employers held Black-tie Christmas parties. Roast beef, fresh shrimp and a full bar.

My current employer is having a pot luck. I'll pass.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Mr Jedi and I are skipping his company party this year. There's only so many company functions we can put up with being the only sober ones when there's nothing to do but drink. Lousy finger foods and all the booze we're not going to drink do not make for a fun time.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

At my age, I'm glad they're a thing of the past.

Although I will admit a certain nostalgic wistfulness when I look back at the early-90s "open bar, drink till you drop, make out with someone inappropriate" Christmas parties.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          At my age, I'm glad they're a thing of the past.

Although I will admit a certain nostalgic wistfulness when I look back at the early-90s "open bar, drink till you drop, make out with someone inappropriate" Christmas parties.
          Mmmm, Earthlink keg parties. You're off the phone for these 2 hours, try not to get so wasted you can't return back to work.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            During the IT boom, one of my former employers held Black-tie Christmas parties. Roast beef, fresh shrimp and a full bar.
            My employer held a party like this last weekend.
            Just after 3 months of lay offs where people were terrified when the HR manager walked towards them.

classy
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I am not aware of any specific holiday party as of yet. Last year we did one with just our department, completely off-site and outside of normal operating hours. I liked it better than the eat-on-the-fly parties at the old job. Very few people showed up though. Still, was nice to drink on the company dime.

For the last few years, the entire time period of Dec 23-Jan 3 has been free meals in the employee dining room. I'm all for anything free. Not quite a party though.

As for the holiday itself, we have a Vietnamese concert on Christmas Eve and a Chinese concert on Christmas Day. *complete lack of excitement*
              "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
              "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
              My MySpace
              My LiveJournal

Comment

One of the few things I miss from my last job is the holiday dinners. The GM would get staff from hotels in the next city to come staff for us so everyone could go out (then we'd do the same for them). Usually had the dinner at a steak house and we could order appetizer, dinner, and desert all on the company dollar.

Comment

Quoth FArchivist View Post
                  Mmmm, Earthlink keg parties. You're off the phone for these 2 hours, try not to get so wasted you can't return back to work.
                  Earthlink had keg parties? when was this? I worked for them for about 10 minutes once when they took over our local isp and shut our doors.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I co-own a small company. We don't do Christmas parties due to having multiple locations (would be tough to coordinate). We give out Christmas bonuses instead. I assume employees prefer this.

Comment

I refuse to attend my company's Christmas parties. I hate those people at work, so what on earth would make anyone think I'd want to spend time with them out of work?
                      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post

My current employer is having a pot luck. I'll pass.
                        the Jewelry company I used to work for (now deceased by 10 years) used to hold a formal company party in the fall at a fairly exclusive Country Club the owners belonged. nice meal and an open bar. MY Ex and I used to pretend it was like the HS prom but with all of the adult type amenities ie. booze, wine, great fresh prepared food, nice music, etc.

most of the other company parties were not really all that interesting.
                        Last edited by Racket_Man; 12-05-2010, 06:55 AM.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                          Earthlink had keg parties? when was this? I worked for them for about 10 minutes once when they took over our local isp and shut our doors.
                          2001-2002 in the Atlanta call center. It was a holdover from the MindSpring days, who were the majority of people in the call center.

Which ISP was it?

Comment

that depends.

i'm not exactly looking forward to the company party next week cos i'll ahve to get a new pair of pants for it but... i guess i'll get paid? i dunno.

but back when i was in the navy i liked them cos hey... it was a treat. and for the holidays it meant christmas prizes. for the big commands it was a handful of big-ticket items. for one of my smaller commands it was smaller items but everyone got something (which i liked better). and the party was hosted away from work so we didn't ahve to clean up.

Comment

I get free food, don't have to deal with anybody at work, and paid overtime on Christmas..what is not to like?
                              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X