This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired, just in time for the holidays

I was fired today, about 90 minutes into my closing shift. Seems the serial number on a TV that I took back did not match the serial number on the box.

Tuesday, I took a TV back that was purchased on Black Friday. Guest said the TV was not working properly. I scan the receipt, scan the UPC on the TV box, scan the serial number on the box, and it checks out. Take the TV behind the counter, measure the screen, make sure the make and model are correct and then process the return.

Well, since the serials don't match, the store won't get any credit for the returned TV, which came out to just above $750, so I was fired.

I'd like to point out that when I was trained, I was taught to check the make, model and screen measurement. Nothing was said about the serial numbers. Though, honestly, thinking about it, it's a tad common sense-ish. I have to wonder if this was more a 'final straw' situation since I had been a touch vocal about the scheduling inequities of late. I mentioned that during my termination and it was dismissed with a 'the computer does the schedule.' I was also told that I should consider myself lucky that they aren't going to prosecute for the theft of the TV. -=sigh=-

My birthday is in 5 days, Christmas in 15. Earlier this week I was telling Plaidman about finding 5 good things everyday to make the bad seem less bad. Well, I don't have anything right now. Sorry Plaid, I'm not practicing what I preach.

That totally sucks. It may seem like common sense to check those numbers, but if they didn't train you that way, it seems unfair to use it against you. Not that any management anywhere is ever interested in being fair.

And that "the computer does the schedule" is B.S. Somebody had to touch that program somewhere along the line, plus stuff like that can be changed if you know how, which you bet your butt someone in management does know how to do.

Sorry this happened right before the holidays.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm so sorry. This is very sucky. If they didn't tell you to check the serial numbers, then they shouldn't fire you for not checking the serial numbers. I hope a better job comes along for you quickly.
      The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Bet the store just had to lose a few people due to bad sales numbers or something.

And how could they make a theft charge stick over your simple mistake? Fire you for negligence, sure, but how can they prove you were in on any theft?

They had it in for the OP from the beginning. This just became the reason she got fired. Bah humbug.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I assume there's no right of appeal? You said you checked the serials and they matched.

Rapscallion

Comment

I asked around today and the prosecution threat was empty. The AP guy was just being a jerk. As far as appealing the decision, I found out today that I was scheduled one day next week, so the idea of them looking to get rid of me seems likely. Odd though since all the managers kept telling me how good of a job I was doing.

In exchange, my Mom has bought me a plane ticket to go home for my birthday next week.

Comment

I feel really bad for you. Unfortunately, these places get rid of people for the most frivolous reasons.

Comment

Yes. They're trying to get rid of me at my job these days, because I've lost all my patience with everyone and everything.

Have you checked on unemployment benefits?
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

So sorry to hear that.

Comment

That sucks.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                      In exchange, my Mom has bought me a plane ticket to go home for my birthday next week.
                      Well, it sounds like you have a few good things, now, at the least.

Yeah, their threat of prosecution was a scare tactic to get you to stop asking them questions they didn't have real answers for.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Thinking good thoughts for you - because this sucks.

I don't even understand the point of returning the wrong television if they are the same make, model and presumably value ??

I hope the cheating SC who did this has something karmic and sharp/stinging/blunt and painful coming there way.

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                        There's one thing to be thankful for - caring and generous family.

Hopefully in the longer term this will lead to a better job prospect. Today, this week or this month this is obviously a horrible situation. Looking back over a year or some years it may itself become a thing to be thankful for - a push to do something new, or to lead to a chance job you like more. If the SC is due some karma you should be too.

Good luck.

Victoria J

Comment

*oodles of hugs*
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm so sorry. We're all hoping you land on your feet.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post
                              Thinking good thoughts for you - because this sucks.

I don't even understand the point of returning the wrong television if they are the same make, model and presumably value ??

I hope the cheating SC who did this has something karmic and sharp/stinging/blunt and painful coming there way.
                              I suppose the customer had bought two TVs by mistake and just used the wrong box when he returned one. He might be shocked if he knew what the consequences were.

It sucks . I hope the unemployment goes through before the holidays.

Comment

Working...
                              X