This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not the competition!

I had my first paying photography job this weekend. It was great, I got more experience and it was paying tribute to the country's veterans and putting wreaths on the headstones of veterans who had passed away. I spent time with a great group of Civil Air Patrol cadets too.

The only problem was with a woman who was working as a blogger for a news group. I got there an hour early to help set up and to check out where I was shooting, to plot (the Cadets called me "the sniper" ) and receive any directions from the woman who hired me.

The blogger came right up to me while I was scoping out the area with my camera and doing some test shots to ask if I "was the competition". I explained that no, I was just invited as the event photographer and asked if I could help her out at all. I was thrilled that there was news groups showing up since this was an awesome event that deserved the coverage. I pointed out who was running the event and who the officers of the Cadets were.

Shortly after that a cadet stopped me to point out I had a shadow. She was following me and after I would take a shot then move on, she would go up to the spot and take a similar shot. That was kind of amusing and a few cadets that I had made friends with told me I should do some strange shots to see if she would do it too.
    The annoying part was she began to step INTO my shots. I had a few shots ruined by her walking in front of me, or bumping into me, she would even look at me when she did it. She also did this to a news paper photographer who showed up too. I ended up checking out her blog this morning and showed it to a friend who was looking at some of my shots. He agreed that quite a few of her shots were similar to mine. I have to say I'm kinda pissed off about it, I spent quite a while in the morning planning how I was going to shoot, setting up and making sure that I would get some damn good shots and she strolled in a couple minutes before the event started and followed me around.

The good news is the woman who ran the event LOVED the sample shots I sent her and said that mine surpassed the photos in the news, she even said some brought her to tears! I'm SO proud and she decided that I'm going to be the photographer at any of the other events they have in the future including this same event next year!
    I can't wait to do this again next year, hopefully then I will have a job and can donate a wreath too.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

It's too bad you had to put up with an untalented, hack blogger but it's cool that you got such great recognition. In the future I'd suggest telling someone like that if they are going to steal your shot positions, to at least wait until you're done. Or possibly to get the bleep out of the way already.

Comment

Quoth jedikuonji View Post
      In the future I'd suggest telling someone like that if they are going to steal your shot positions, to at least wait until you're done. Or possibly to get the bleep out of the way already.
      I plan to, especially if I end up dealing with her again. I was nervous to do that since this was my first job and I didn't want to seem unprofessional.

At least I got to see her shiver in the cold, she really wasn't prepared to hike around in a chilly windy day in cemetery with steep hillsides. I also took quite a few shots where kneeling or laying down was a must. So the cadets got a kick out of watching her try to figure out how to stay clean while copying. After she left I got a play by play from them. I was dressed professionally but practical so laying in the grass for a minute to get a shot wasn't a big deal.

The surprising part was I wasn't mistaken for a 16 year old! Woohoo! You have NO idea how often that happens. I'm rather thrilled about that actually.
      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

She obviously has no eye for a good photograph, while you do.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

I suppose so.
          I'm still unsure about myself, I have horrible self esteem, doesn't help that my Mom told me I shouldn't charge and my photos are good cause I have good equipment.
          I keep having to tell myself that I'm good, having the woman who hired me tell me how great I did helped me quiet a bit.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

But she was getting too too much into the intimate-tion.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
              doesn't help that my Mom told me I shouldn't charge and my photos are good cause I have good equipment.
              Bah! This is BS and you know it. Your mom needs to buy a clue or three. The best equipment is worth nothing, if you don't know how to work with it. And without a good eye for the right moment, knowledge about picture composition etc, pictures will look bad.
              I bet even with a point and click camera your pics look great!
              No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                The best equipment is worth nothing, if you don't know how to work with it. And without a good eye for the right moment, knowledge about picture composition etc, pictures will look bad.
                Quoted for truth.
                The good camera will get you more options and better optics. A good photographer will get better pictures with the better camera.
                Except for a few things like autofocus, the good camera will probably confuse the bad photographer and actually take worse looking pictures.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate you saying that, I work really hard at my shots. Hopefully I will get even better and get to do it professionally. I guess I'm finally making a step in that direction.

Comment

Excellent, and do we get to see a couple of the better ones?
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      Excellent, and do we get to see a couple of the better ones?
                      I'm going to try and post them in my deviantart gallery once I get permission from the woman who hired me since she paid for them. Once I hear back I will post the link.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                        Thanks guys, I appreciate you saying that, I work really hard at my shots. Hopefully I will get even better and get to do it professionally. I guess I'm finally making a step in that direction.
                        Squeak, it is obvious from your writing that you are passionate about your photography, and care about doing right by your customer and your art. As long as you have that attitude, you're more profesional than most people I've worked with.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

shoulda taken a picture of her, and see if she took one of you. or just take a photo in the complete opposite direction and see her reaction lol!

i need to take more photos :/

Comment

Posted shots

Here are some of my Photos, all of them are mine except the 2nd one down on the right under the gallery link section. (does that make sense?)

Comment

o man that woman was VERY unprofessional.

My boyfriend does professional photography as a hobby. i remember one of his stories ... he attended a wedding and another photographer was hired. He made a point to coordinate with the hired photographer, to make sure the other man had the best shots etc. (though in my boyfriend's case the hired photographer managed to lose all the photos, so he ended up making a wedding album on his own for the couple).

Comment

Working...
                              X