Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I Have Tonight Off. (aka, My Ex is the Gift that Keeps On Giving)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I Have Tonight Off. (aka, My Ex is the Gift that Keeps On Giving)

Note: This has fratching potential, so let's not go there, 'kay? I'd appreciate it, but the mods would appreciate it more, I'm sure.

Anyway... Are you sitting comfortably? Let's begin. I was scheduled to work tonight, but now I am off. I'm off because this is what the human resources department at my factory came up with to make sure that I can continue to receive the medications for my HIV that keep me alive.

To make a long story short, the state of North Carolina pays to keep me alive by funding a program that pays for medication for state residents who suffer from HIV. When I was entered into the program, economic times were good and people whose gross incomes were up to 300% of the federal poverty line got their medications paid for. Thus, anyone who made $32,490 per year or less, before taxes, got their medications paid for by the state.

In a normal year, I'll make enough money to be within nodding distance of that amount. I and that amount will recognize one another in the corridor, nod our friendly hellos and be on our way, but we won't stop and chat.

This year, however, I would have made a bit more than that had I not realized it in time and gone to human resources this morning the minute I got free from my doodad-inspecting responsibilities. What would have bumped me over the limit was about ten days of overtime I was forced to work back in the summer thanks to my ex (You can read about it here -- scroll down a bit.) who put me in a deep financial hole.

So... Had I not caught it in time, and had human resources not been willing to work with me, I would have been dumped from the program that gives me the medicine that keeps me alive. It would have been doubly bad, because I learned from talking with a social worker at my doctor's office on the phone this morning while human resources was working their phone magic with our factory's corporate offices, that because economic times are no longer good, the state of North Carolina has lowered its income threshold to 125% of the federal poverty line. Meaning that I would have had to at the very least, quit my job and either attempt to go on disability (a process that can take more than a year to achieve and which is humiliating, such as when they forced my mother to prove she was blind and made my father take off his prosthetic legs to prove he was actually missing his legs), get only a part-time job, or just try to sponge off the government in some way. Any way you cut it, it would have meant disaster for me.

All because I had to work overtime to get myself back on sound financial footing, and that because I allowed my ex-boyfriend to run through all my money and put me deeply into debt.

The solution that human resources worked out was that I not come in tonight and not get paid for it (ordinarily you can opt to have a paid vacation or personal day if you have to take a day off), and defer the two remaining paychecks this year until January 13th. By doing so, my income for the year will be about $600 below the threshold allowed for me and for other people who entered the drug program before the recession. If we apply in time, we're grandfathered in under the rules that were in place at the time that we were entered.

If we do not apply in time, or if something else unpleasant arises, we are taken off the program and are left to die a horrible death. One of the most horrible deaths a person can die, in fact. Meanwhile, this coming year, as it did this year, the state will cap enrollment in the program and there will be a waiting list for those who didn't reapply in time and for those who will be diagnosed later in the year. In 2010, more than 500 people were on the waiting list for North Carolina's AIDS Drug Assistance Program. In 2011, there will likely be more. Many, if not most, will not be helped because there's no money, and anyone who was on drugs but gets dropped from the program will be in a bad position if and when they ever find another way to fund their medicines. HIV/AIDS is a tricky little shit and constantly adapts to the body's defenses and to medication. That's how it kills you, and that's why, if you stop taking medication and let it build up a defense, your old medicines won't work anymore -- and you get to see if new medications, with all their fun and amusing side effects such as physical deformity (to name but one) might work instead.

However hopefully, because I am taking tonight off, I won't get to find out for myself.

The kingdom was lost for the want of a nail, and hauntedhead almost died for the want of a pill.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 12-16-2010, 03:12 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope everything works out for you.

On a lighter note, overtime is the root of all evil in business. It's a good way to lose out on bonuses and other perks because it can cause major budget issues with upper management.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

*hugs* I hope it all works out for you too. Take care of yourself and remember we're all here for you.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Oh damn. Good for your HR at least.
        I hope it work out. That's all I can say here.

Comment

Holy shit! That's ridiculous. No one in this country should die because they can't afford their medicine.

Sounds like your HR is a gem though. And your ex can go straight to hell.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Wow. I'm so glad your HR is willing to work with you on that. I've worked places before where I'm not so sure they'd have done that.

Also, I've never heard of a state funded HIV medication assistance program before. I knew that medicine was prohibitively expensive, and I'm really glad there's assistance for those who can't afford it. As AnaKhouri said, noone should die because they can't afford the medication.
            Coworker: Distro of choice?
            Me: Gentoo.
            Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Good to hear it may work out...I didn't realize you were sick so good luck to you...I hope it comes through.

And yes it is sad that people have to die or go bankrupt because medications are so expensive...and god forbid a hospital trip is needed...that could easily drive you into the poorhouse and into collections cause who can afford to pay that, even after insurance?
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

And yet some people claim HIV isn't a big deal anymore, just because there's medicine for it...

Hoping all goes well!
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I'm sooooo glad this worked out for you! Yay for an HR department that actually cares!
                  The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

I keep my fingers and various other bodyparts crossed for you. Your HR department is great, I'm glad it has worked out just fine.
                    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

hope you can get your meds.

and that you ex suffers for doing that to your finances.

Comment

*Mod Hat Off*

hauntedhead, my thoughts go out for you and I hope everything works out well.

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                        Note: This has fratching potential, so let's not go there, 'kay? I'd appreciate it, but the mods would appreciate it more, I'm sure.
                        *Mod Hat On*

This is already being ignored, I see. This thread is about what IS, not about what SHOULD BE. "Should be" belongs on Fratching, and everyone is invited to take the Fratching side of this situation over there and discuss it.

This is NOT a thread I want to see closed, so let's not force that to happen, m'kay?
                        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Wow I can't beleive that you have to go through all of that just to be able to get your medications, at least you have a, HR depatment that can help you.

Comment

Haunted, I'm so glad your HR is willing to work with you - this is a very serious situation, and I'm glad. Very glad.

I know what you're talking about - my meds for something else have changed. And the new ones cost a lot of money. If the program I'm on is nixed, I'm in deep dookey.

Give thanks, and keep an eye on your paystubs!
                            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

From time to time, it hits me how close I've come to being dropped from the medication program. On Thursday night, the night I had off, I went to the small, informal service my church holds. Toward the end of that Thursday night service, there's always communion, and the group attending is usually small enough so that everyone can join hands and stand around the table. We'll talk about our concerns and our praises, ask for prayers, and I tried to give up my praise but couldn't. I broke down crying instead.

I won't really be able to relax until I get word back from the social workers at my doctor's office that I've been accepted into the program for 2011. Usually it's a matter of timing. The state is very strict on who they'll take, but so long as you bring the required ID and proof of income, and you apply the instant you're able -- so long as you follow their strict rules, in other words -- they'll take you. However, I can't help but feel on edge because my income level will be so close to the cut off.

I'm just trying to stay calm and take things as they come.
                              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Working...
                              X