This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news thread

I got back from holiday after spending a bit too much (loved it all!) and was met with a bill for the second half of my year's water. £206. I pay every six months. I paid, then started to think seriously about going onto a water meter.

The company reckoned on my figures that I'd save half that. Meter is now in and they said they'd take the money out of the excess I'd paid. Seems it was a little bigger than they'd usually do that from and I'm going to get a cheque back for £150.

Oooh yes! I'll have to fork out monthly for my water now, but that's a nice lump sum to return.

Any good news from anyone else?

Rapscallion

A year ago they gave everyone a 2.5 percent pay cut.....due to the economy. Today I got handed a check that made up for that pay cut....almost $500. That's after taxes. They decided to give the money back to everyone...so yay extra christmas money

As for the water meter, you weren't on one before? how does that work? I was paying for water at my last apartment but I don't here.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Standing rates based on value of house is the standard way they do it. Meters are optional and most people would pay less. The water companies resisted it strongly, but the gubmint made a stink about how people would use less and therefore create less carbon if meters were more widely available. The public face is very pleasant from the companies, but the boardrooms are likely to have gritted teeth.

Rapscallion

Comment

My good news recently was my tax.

After finally getting around to lodging my tax return and expecting the standard $100-$150 refund I usually get, I was stunned to find out I was getting $1100 back

The extra money meant I could splurge on my hubby's christmas present and get a pair of "five finger" shoes that I had been wanting.
        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

My boyfriend's sister is paying for him to come see me or for me to go see him some time while I'm home on break.

A friend of mine passed her exam to be a Maine state trooper. That's exciting since she's been working toward getting into the Maine police academy for years now.
          Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

I survived the first semester of nursing school with a 3.4 GPA. No small feat, especially since I know several students who are being kicked out after failing 2 of the 4 courses.

Comment

I'm getting married in two weeks.
              Military Spouse Support.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I just got an e-mail from a student thanking me for the comments I wrote on her paper and telling me how much she enjoyed the class and what a great TA I am. After last night, getting to read some kind words really made my day.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                  I'm getting married in two weeks.
                  Who's the lucky other person?

In other news, one of my utility bills is going down by £16 as of January. My previous gas supplier owes me about £35, which may be in the pile of crap on my floor. I suspect they're still to send it out, though.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
                    After finally getting around to lodging my tax return and expecting the standard $100-$150 refund I usually get, I was stunned to find out I was getting $1100 back
                    Why wait so long if you know you have a refund coming?
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Speaking of good news: Having been at the new job for less than a year, I figured I would be disqualified for getting a bonus. I was pleasantly surprised to discover otherwise.

Then, I was told that in past years it has been approx. $800, less 25% federal tax and then state tax, etc. So maybe $500 take home. Not too shabby for money I wasn't counting on.

Got my bonus yesterday and the take home was $2 shy of an even $1,000.

Since it was 'unplanned' money, I did the right thing and I'm dumping the full $1,000 onto my credit card. By the end of this month I'll have paid nearly $1,800 towards my balance. Good bye and good riddance, Mr. Debt!

Comment

My annual toy drive for Toys for Tots was very successful. I collect almost 1,000 toys and $1,320.00 in cash.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I was panicking because my CI (Cochlear Implant) controller (the part that I wear like a hearing aid on my ear) was acting up and I have only 2 weeks until college starts, AND I'm broke because I just paid for tuition and whatnot ($1500 to replace,) and found out that a local Deaf & Hard of Hearing support group is going to help get me a replacement!!!
                          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Some of mom's tests just came back as not being cancer, so we're still waiting on the results of one more but this is really encouraging. Also, I get to go visit family for Christmas (I spent Thanksgiving alone and it sucked).

Comment

I took Mom in for her knee replacement yesterday & everything went great! They'll do the other one in 3 months & if it goes as well my brothers & I have promised to take her dancing
                              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X