This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Roast recipie?

Does anyone have a good pot roast recipie?

I am making it for the first time ever and want to make it goooood!

Thanks in advance!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

I did a roastbeef here the other day, though it was oven made but still by "pot roast method". That was also the first time I tried it out, and it was successful.

First, brown the meat in the pot at high heat (approx. 1 minute per side, make sure that the roast is brown on ALL sides.

Add some stock (amount depending on the size of your roast + the size of your pot - enough to cover approx. an inch of the bottom of the roast) along with seasonings/herbs of your own choice. I prefer fresh thyme, but other herbs (or perhaps a whole bouquet garni) can also do it.

Lower the heat, put a lid on the pot and let simmer for a while. It depends on the size and type of the meat how long it should simmer - the best method is to check the core temperature of the roast with a meat thermometer, if you have one of those. Make sure to turn the roast over now and then.

Once the roast has reached the right core temperature, take it up from the pot, pack it in tinfoil and let it set for approx. 15-20 minutes. While the roast sets, strain the remaining stock over in a saucepan and use it for gravy.

Serve with oven-roasted potatoes and/or stirfried carrots.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Here's my recipe. Serves either 12 people, or 2 people for a week. Or it makes for a BUTTLOAD of leftovers.

Large (3gallon or larger) pot
      1 5lb pot roast
      64 oz chicken broth (you may not use all of it)
      375ml red wine (friends of bob can use water, or beef broth)
      1 box Pomi chopped tomatoes (trust me, it makes a difference)
      1 lb new red potatoes
      1 large Spanish or yellow onion (or a bag of pearl onions if you don't want to chop)
      5 large carrots
      4 cloves garlic, slivered
      herb/flour mixture (oregano, parsley, thyme, salt, fresh-ground pepper, flour)
      whole, fresh rosemary stems
      bay leaf
      olive oil

Rough chop the potatoes, carrots, and onion and set aside.

Mix the herb/flour mixture and put on a large plate.

Prep the roast. Trim off any membranes, wash, etc. Take a long thin knife and poke holes all over the roast, in all sides and insert the garlic slivers.

Put the large pot on the stove, turn heat on medium/medium-high and coat the bottom with olive oil.

Roll the roast in the flour mixture, making sure to get all sides.

Brown the roast on all sides (I find tongs are easiest for this). Take out and set aside. Add the onions and sweat them a bit (until translucent). Then add the carrots and potatoes, and let cook for a few minutes. Pour in enough broth to cover the veggies and bring to a simmer. Add the roast back in.

Pour in the wine (or other liquid) and Pomi, then enough broth to come mostly up the sides of the roast. Toss in the whole rosemary stems and the bay leaf. You don't want the liquid covering the roast, that'll give you too thin of a sauce.

Let cook for 3+ hours, or until the roast is falling apart.

Remove the whole pot from the heat and set up your blender (immersion or standing).

Remove the roast from the pot and set to the side. You'll be shredding or cutting it in a bit, but for now it needs to rest.

Remove the bay leaf and the rosemary stems (the leaves will have fallen off the stems, don't remove them).

Puree about 75-80% of what remains in the pot. This is to taste - I like a thick sauce, but I also like to have chunks of my veggies left over. So sometimes I don't put as much liquid in, so I can accomplish this.

Cut the roast to taste. Some people prefer chunks, others prefer shreds.

Boil up some rice or egg noodles, and serve the roast over them.

It's intensive, time-consuming, and a bit gourmet, but absolutely delicious.

(remember, if you're using a standing blender, let the liquid cool before blending it. You can use that time to cut the meat up.)

Comment

I always just used garlic and a packet of Lipton onion soup mix. There's probably a recipe on it. Used carrots, onions, potatoes, and sometimes celery for veggies.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I'm more casual.

1 roast.

1 pot.

Some water.

Whatever veggies I have that need using up and would taste good with beef.

Brown the roast.

Brown any onions, garlic, whatever. Lightly toast some dried herbs and spices.

Put browned stuff, veggies, in pot.

About 1/3 fill with water.

Taste the water/veggies/herbs-and-spices mix. Add additional herbs and spices if it tastes 'wrong'. (This may not be possible for people without the experience I have, sorry.)

SLOW simmer for multiple hours, turning the roast occasionally. Once the outer sections are cooked, break a bit off and taste it. Again, if need be, add extra herbs or spices.

Continue slow simmering until it's starting to fall apart when you touch it.

Take the roast out, let it stand. Do whatever you want with the broth, but it's too nummy to just throw out. Makes a great gravy, or a great soup starter.

Serve as desired. Mashed potato goes great with it.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I use my slow cooker.

Throw the roast in.

Cover roast with cream of celery coup and dry onion soup mixture.

Add can of soda.

Add veggies.

Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours.

Yum.
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Here's a slow-cooker one--very convenient...just set it up and it'll be ready when you come home.

Hardware:

1 crock pot
              1 skillet (I prefer cast iron)
              1 pair of tongs

Software:

2 carrots
              1 onion
              2 ribs of celery
              1 pound (half kilo for non US readers) of mushrooms
              2 cloves of garlic (or more if you like)
              1 3# (1 1/2 kilo) chuck roast
              1 tablespoon (15 mL) ground cumin
              Salt
              Pepper
              Cooking oil (olive--but not extra virgin, canola, corn or soy are all fine)
              1/4 cup (60 mL) of balsamic vinegar
              1 quart (liter) of beef stock or broth (home-made best, low-sodium from an aseptic package)
              Red Wine

These steps can be done the night before (I do that all the time):

Heat the skillet over high heat.
              Peel the carrots and onion.
              Coarsely chop the carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms.
              Mince the garlic
              Place the vegetables in the crock pot
              Season both sides of the chuck with the salt pepper and cumin
              Lightly cover both sides of the chuck with the oil
              Sear the chuck in the skillet 3 minutes on each side.
              Remove the chuck from the skillet

Place the chuck in the refrigerator if working the night before directly to the slow cooker if you're working that morning.

Remove the skillet from the heat and deglaze with the balsamic vinegar.
              Scrape the pan and pour the liquid onto the vegetables in the slow cooker.

On the morning, place the chuck on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.

Pour the beef stock over the chuck and vegetables.

Add enough red wine to barely cover the chuck.

Place the lid on the slow cooker.

Turn the slow cooker to 'LOW'.

After at least 8 hours, serve.

I like to serve this with brown rice, egg noodles would also be good. Here's the easiest way to prepare brown rice.

Yes, I often do this the night before as well--just stir the rice into the slow cooker mixture just before serving.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Boozy's Pot Roast:

1. Toss still-frozen pot roast into slow cooker.

2. Add potatoes.

3. Think about adding onions or some such shit, realize I'm out of onions.

4. Go to store to buy onions.

5. Return from store with potato chips, day-old cheddar buns that were on sale, and three DVD's from the bargain bin. No onions.

6. Watch one of the DVDs.

7. Husband now home from work, wants to eat dinner.

8. Pot roast now cooked, too late to do much with it; add copious amounts of red wine at the last minute.

9. Drink copious amounts of red wine.

9. Still not much flavour to the pot roast, but so corked on the wine that you don't really give a shit.

Enjoy!

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

OMG, Boozy.

That was awesome!
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Yeah, I think I like Boozy's the best!

I prefer to cook roast in a slow cooker, but if you don't have one, you can do this on the stove.

I have discovered that the key making an amazing roast is two completely counter-intuitive things:

1. Cheap is better. Do not buy an expensive roast. You want a cheap chuck roast.
                    2. You know how your slow cooker instructions tell you to add water? Not for this. Add no water.

Brown the roast well in a large pot (if you use a pot for the whole process instead of a slow cooker, just skip the "Transfer to slow cooker) step.). I brown it with salt, pepper, onions and garlic in olive oil. Brown it till it's got a nice dark seared layer on it. Don't let your olive oil smoke, so keep the temp below the smoke point.

Dump the entire thing, oil and sauteed onions and all, into a slow cooker if you are going to use one. Any vegetables you use go on the bottom under the meat.

Vegetables I use are usually carrots, greenbeans, and mushrooms. And more onions. Next time I do it, I will use parsnips. My mom uses potatoes, which I don't use because I am a low carber. However, her roasts taste better than mine. So, yeah.

Empty one or two cans of diced tomatos over the top of the whole mess.

Cook it all day on high (if you are doing it on the stovetop instead, just simmer it with a lid on all day. The meat should fall apart when it's done. It may even look a little pink, but it should fall apart so bad you have trouble getting it out of the pot in one piece.

Comment

Mushrooms!

I knew I forgot something. Yeah. One package of mushrooms. Either button or mini-portobello.

Comment

thanks for the recipies guys, I had to adapt what people suggested becasue I didn't have certain stuff.

I took the pot roast and sealed it on all sides, chopped three onions and 3 cloves of garlic and fryed them lightly before adding them to the pot and two chopped and peeled carrots. I would have added celery but I didn't have any. I also added some mrs dash, chilli powder (I didnt have paprika) and thyme. Then half a litre of chicken stock (it was only a small roast which came up half way up the sides of the roast and chucked it in the oven for 3 hours. I was going to leave it longer but it looked really cooked. When I tried to turn it, it started to fall apart so I thought it was ready.

I shreded it up and boiled down the liquid to a really thick gravy. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to leave it in the gravy or pour it on the top so I kinda did both. I served it with some roasted acorn squash and peas. YUM!!!!!
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                          thanks for the recipies guys, I had to adapt what people suggested becasue I didn't have certain stuff.
                          That's how the best recipes come about--by accident or substitution
                          Quoth Kiwi View Post
                          When I tried to turn it, it started to fall apart so I thought it was ready.
                          Yes that's how you know it's done.
                          Quoth Kiwi View Post
                          I shreded it up and boiled down the liquid to a really thick gravy. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to leave it in the gravy or pour it on the top so I kinda did both. I served it with some roasted acorn squash and peas. YUM!!!!!
                          You can go either way there. Pot roast is a very forgiving piece of cow--it's hard to screw up, except possibly by under cooking.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I use a slow cooker for my roast, and a method similar to boozy's --- sorta.....

the night before - cut up potatoes and carrots place in separate bowls of water with lids; store in fridge over night

in the morning - cut up onion
                            put about an inch of water in slow-cooker (onions will slightly float)
                            add 1 cap-full of Kitchen Bouquet
                            put still frozen roast in slow-cooker
                            season with salt, pepper, garlic(powder), beef bullion if i have it, and 1 pkt either brown or onion gravy
                            cover with lid, make sure slow-cooker is plugged in and on high
                            Leave for work

when mom leaves work and heads home - remind her that the veggies are in the fridge, which bowl they're in and on what shelf so that she can add the carrots

when i get home from work, find out if she's added the potatoes - if not add them

wait appx 1 hr, then check done-ness of veggies;
                            using a measuring cup scoop off about 1 - 1.5 cups of liquid into a sauce pan, add 1 pkt gravy mix; heat til the consistency desired -

serve and enjoy

Last night we did one that was a cross between a roast, a soup, and shepherd's pie:
                            sliced carrots - put on to boil
                            "stew" meat - browned w/ onions and celery; add to boiling carrots - reduce to simmer
                            make instant mashed potatoes - a little thicker than one would normally;
                            serve in a bowl w/ mashed potatoes on bottom then ladle the beef and carrot "soup" over
                            it was yum, and if we'd had a wine open i'd've used it to enhance the beefy flavor.
                            I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
                            X