This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a minor pet peeve...

If you want us to send a letter or a card for you and you supply us with the address to mail it, and said address is an apartment or condo and each one is lettered instead of numbered, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER IT AS "#B"!!! "B" IS A LETTER, NOT A FREAKIN" NUMBER!!! The "#" sign indicates a number dammit!!

Write it as Unit B or Suite B or Apartment B!!!

There, I feel better now. :-)
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

In this case the # sign doesn't mean number but is a declarative that this is a specific unit at a common street address

I used #C19 on mail all the time for one apartment complex and it got there fine.

plus, without an address 2 field, some street names are long enough that online and on paper many places don't leave room to write out an entire additional word
    Last edited by flyingember; 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      PLEASE DO NOT ENTER IT AS "#B"!!! "B" IS A LETTER, NOT A FREAKIN" NUMBER!!! The "#" sign indicates a number dammit!!

Oh gourd, that pisses me off too!

So much, in fact, that when I hear it, I'm often tempted to go to the ATM machine, withdraw some cash, then go to the Tavern for a few hours, down several pints of beer, and come home and kick the hot water heater!

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
        So much, in fact, that when I hear it, I'm often tempted to go to the ATM machine, withdraw some cash, then go to the Tavern for a few hours, down several pints of beer, and come home and kick the hot water heater!

Mike

Why are you calling it an Automated Teller Machine Machine? While there do you inter your Personal Identification Number Number? And, why are you heating hot water?

My pet peeves.
        Last edited by Lurking Sockpuppet; 01-29-2011, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Aw Damn!

I forgot about PIN Number!

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Or electronic e-mail. Where I work they actually have a message posted that starts out, "If you didn't sign up for electronic e-mail notification...."

Comment

The standard form of address over here is almost specifically set up for apartments. It goes:

P. Suomalainen
              Street 56 C 22
              12345 CITY

The 56 is the building number, the C is the block within that building (roughly speaking, one block means one stairwell), and the 22 is the flat number within that block. No hash marks required.

Office buildings are slightly different - if several companies share a building, either the building number with the company name will be sufficient, or the floor number is added. So, for an obsolete address I used to know well:

Company Name Oy
              Eteläinen Makasiinikatu 4, 5. kerros
              00130 HELSINKI

Comment

When putting a guest's info into our system, I'll always put #A, just 'cause I'm far too lazy to type out "Unit" or "Ste."

What I have found annoying, though, is a new address on my paper route that's for #202D. There is no "D" building. It's all one building at this complex, so there's just "202". Where is the D coming from????
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

"B" IS A LETTER, NOT A FREAKIN" NUMBER!!!
                  Are you sure it isn't the capital 8? <bfeg>

Sometimes it's the program writing out the mailing address that's been programmed to type # in front of the ap.nr. Given that, if it's the client typing it into a free-text field, I'm with you.

Comment

I think it's ok to have # before a letter if there's an actual digit in the combo. Example: #L9 But I personally would write L9 and be done with it.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                      What I have found annoying, though, is a new address on my paper route that's for #202D. There is no "D" building. It's all one building at this complex, so there's just "202". Where is the D coming from????
                      Sub-unit perhaps?

My boyfriend used to live at a house, and the house had a single address, with no division. But the rooms inside the house had letter designations because the owners rented out individual rooms.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X