This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for privacy of information

This is on the credit reports we get from one of the three major credit bureaus. At the top of the page, the customer's social security number is truncated to four digits. About two inches down the page, the social security number is repeated again, in its entirety. What's the point of truncating it?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

The top is likely information for filing and sorting purposes while the information below that is the actual detail of the report, which would have as much as they can gather and legally share.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Once went to Home Depot and bought a few little doodads. The receipt prints out, and the cashier takes a black marker and crosses out some info on the top of the receipt. Puzzled, I ask her why she did that. Apparently a computer glitch was printing out the cashier's SSN# on every single receipt. Supposedly management was "working on a solution". Mmmhmmm.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That's terrible! I don't want that on my receipts I don't even feel comfortable saying it!
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          Apparently a computer glitch was printing out the cashier's SSN# on every single receipt
          That's a hell of a glitch... why would there be a record of her SSN on the register anyway?
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

don't worry, all you need is the last 4 numbers to confirm you're someone at many places these days

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
              don't worry, all you need is the last 4 numbers to confirm you're someone at many places these days
              True that is - my Internet service is under my mom's name, and if I want to make a payment over the phone, I have to give the last digits of her social security number to "prove" identity.

Comment

One of my first programming assignments at my job was to fix one of the letter writer programs so that it printed the customer SSN on a different part of the page. Where they had it before, it was right about the address, and sometimes showed thru the window on the envelope.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
                  Unfortunately, even the last 4 can be too much information. The first five numbers are based on when and where you were born, so if they have that information and the last 4 digits, they can figure out the rest of your social security number.

Comment

Working...
                  X