This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polite Teenagers

Theres a girls volleyball team staying at the hotel. All of them are in the 12 to 14 age range. The team was hanging out in the hallway outside one of our ballrooms where an event was taking place and I was tasked with asking them to move. There hadn't been any complaints or anything, but they were taking up the entire hallway and would have been in the way for people leaving the event.

So I head down and greet them and let them know there's a great place to hang out just down the hall if they wouldn't mind moving. The responses I got were shocking:

Sure.

No problem.

Sorry if we're in the way.

Sorry for being so loud.

I really want to find their parents and thank them.

What a miracle. Teenagers with manners? It's unprecidented.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
      What a miracle. Teenagers with manners? It's unprecidented.
      FZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
      BSOD
      brain reboot

dang how in the hell did you get soo lucky?????

Thank the parents??? OMG Give them rooms for FREE
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Ironically at my hotel, most of the teen/preteen sports teams are usually pretty well behaved. It's actually the adult teams we have the most trouble with. (Had to actually call the police on one adult team once.)

Maybe there's a little bit of hope for humanity's future after all...
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

To be fair, most of the teenagers I actually know (as opposed to the ghastly ones I read about) are lovely. My friend has three teenagers, aged 14, 15 and 16, and they are all lovely, thoughtful, considerate, hardworking kids. The BarefootSprog and i spent a week up in Norfolk with them, and the kids were wonderful, and made my littlie feel like part of a big family - she LOVED having big sisters and a big brother!

Similarly, there were quite a lot of teenagers on the yard where I used to keep my horse and again, they were smashing, polite, helpful kids.

I suspect that the majority of teenagers are pretty decent really, its jsut the awful ones are SO awful, that we can't see past their awfulness (is that even a word) to the good kids.
          A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
          - Dave Barry

Comment

I used to work weekend night audit at a small hotel. I'd hear horror stories from the week-day night audit about sports teams being rude/noisy/etc. But the teams I had on the weekend were quiet. In 3 years, I think I only had to tell 2 rooms to quiet down, which they did. Of course when I saw the coaches, those coaches ruled with an iron fist, lol.
            Last edited by bainsidhe; 01-31-2011, 12:34 AM.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Most of these kids are away from their parents so it's a treat for them.

why would they mess that up?

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
                Most of these kids are away from their parents so it's a treat for them.

why would they mess that up?
                Actually most of their parents were there in the hotel. That might have contributed to the good behavior.

Comment

When I was 17, my friends and I hired out a holiday home out by the lakes. The owners of the house did not normally hire out to under 21's, but decided to break their policy for us just to test the waters (a pretty big risk in my opinion, there were 18 of us!!)

A couple of days after we all returned from the holiday, the owners called us to thank us, saying we left the house in the best condition they had ever seen it. Apparently when they hired it out to adults, things would often need replacing, such as carpets, doors and windows.

I'm quite proud that we were considered to be nice teenagers

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                    Ironically at my hotel, most of the teen/preteen sports teams are usually pretty well behaved. It's actually the adult teams we have the most trouble with. (Had to actually call the police on one adult team once.)

Maybe there's a little bit of hope for humanity's future after all...
                    My brother was the basketball coach for the local high school for a year & the kids on the team were all very well-mannered,they came over to my house one day "Mr Frantic,Coach told us you might have some scrap wood for our bonfire?"
                    Showed 'em the woodpile & they picked up every scrap,then thanked me profusely.
                    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Unfortunately it's the 10% of the population that behaves rude and hostile who destroys things for the rest.

Comment

Quoth Daemonmonkey View Post
                        Unfortunately it's the 10% of the population that behaves rude and hostile who destroys things for the rest.
                        They're also the ones who get 100% of the attention/publicity.

Comment

Working...
                        X