This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep me in your thoughts, prayers, or whatevers

I applied at a temp agency today, and they'll let me know if, or when, they have something for me. I hope it's soon.
    Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Good luck to you.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Veteran of temp agencies here. A few suggestions, if I may:

Call them once a week to check in. This will remind them of both your availability AND existence, and keep your name fresh in their minds as jobs come in.

Don't forget to update them if you take any courses or training that expand your skillset.

Register with several more agencies. I can't stress this enough. That way when one agency goes through a drought or has someone on staff that just plain doesn't like you (it happens more than I like to admit), there are other options.

Temping can be both positive and negative. Stressful, because as a temp you can be let go with no notice, there are periods where there is no work, and some agencies can be horrible to work with. I reached the point where I refused to consider any placement that lasted less than six weeks, but I had been with the agencies for long enough that I had a reputation as a very good, very available worker and that was the only demand I really had (aside from decent pay - if they're charging the client $18 or more for my services, be damned if I'm going to let you pay me less that $12).

All that being said, good luck and I hope you get some interesting placements.

On the flip side, it gets you into places you might otherwise never work at, and it allows you to gain a much wider variety of experience than working at once place will give you. You may discover a type of business that you really enjoy working in that you wouldn't have considered before.
      What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
      X