Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You got it for free and your still not happy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You got it for free and your still not happy?

I was in the supermarket the other day and a lady in the line in front of me had a price issue. Usually the sales at this supermarket run Saturday to Friday but they have just changed it from Wednesday to Tuesday (who knows why but they had a BIG ASS SIGN at each of the entrances stating this fact).

Her grapes scan in at the non sale price and the cashier had to do a price check. The supermarket is being slammed so there are no runners to do the price check that very second and the manager calls over to the cashier to do the price check herself as the fruit section is right beside the checkouts.

The cashier tells the customer she will be back in 30 seconds and the lady starts yelling at her (the cashier just kept walking towards the grape stand ignoring the ladies rants) so she turns to me, don't ask me where I developed this six sense to get in line with problem customers but I stand there and raise my eyebrows at her with an unimpressed glare then roll my eyes. Rude I know, but don't involve me in your ranting if you don't want my opinion.

The cashier is gone less than 45 seconds and this woman is literally huffing and puffing and UGHing loudly then 'apologuising' to the line up behind her saying how incompetant the staff are here and how they should just believe her. The cashier explains that they missed a sale sign because the take down/put up days are new and gives her the grapes free in accordance with the scanning code of practice we have here in BC (if something scans wrong you get that item free up to $10) and you would think that made the woman happy. Oh no.

She starts shrieking at the cashier who is by now visibly flustered from the woman's blustering, the customer keeps saying "I NEED TO PAY FOR THEM I NEED TO PAYYYYY FOR THEM!!!!!!" and the front end manager comes over and tries to explain she is getting them for FREE and the transaction is over. The woman stands there refusing to budge still raising her voice and people are staring at this lady huff and puff.

The cashier loses her cool a bit and mutters under her breath "jesus she got them free what does she want blood?" the looks at me and tries to rally. I told her that I worked retail for 10 years and had my fair share of old dragons and try and cheer her up again. The customer behind me agreed and we laughed.

As I left I saw the grapefreak had dragged the front end manager over to the grape display and was laying into her.

On the walk home I profusely thanked God for helping me to get out of retail and NEVER go back. I do not miss those days at all.
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Well, if she insisted on paying for them then they should have taken her money.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
      On the walk home I profusely thanked God for helping me to get out of retail and NEVER go back. I do not miss those days at all.
      Oh how I long for the happy, happy day that I can pray that prayer.
      I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

At the store I work at it is policy that if something rings up wrong, they customer gets the first item (or lb) free, and the rest at the sale price. Also the front end supervisor is supposed to believe the customer, and check the tags after taking care of the customers. Although many of the front end supervisors do not know how to processes this they way it is supposed to be by policy (I've learned it just by watching it done several times.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
          Having worked in a grocery store in BC I don't recall it being a general practice to offer goods for free...unless things have changed in the last 3.5 years I've been gone.
          It's probably due to the Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code . A lot of the stores that follow this will have signs up around the registers and at the doors stating what the practice is and such.

Comment

Walmart technically has something like that, last I checked. Storewide policy is supposed to be that if an item rings up the wrong price, the customer is supposed to get $3 off the corrected price (for the first item, at least), meaning that items under $3 are supposed to be free if this mistake happens (again, for the first item at least). Last I saw, it was printed on the little check-signing counter in addition to a few other small signs. Unfortunately, it never came up in training, and I've yet to see a cashier other than myself use the price override code* for this. I once made a customer very happy because the jeans he bought rang up wrong, and I used that code. He got an extra $3 off the price, which I had to explain to him and show him where that policy was written, and he complimented me to one of the managers.

I generally don't bring it up when I'm shopping because I rarely get items that ring up wrong, and the last time I did, I'd already waited in a long service desk line to get it corrected, and didn't feel like pushing the issue. I'll have to look for the signage again the next time I go shopping.

*When you hit the price override key on the register, you're supposed to hit a number to tell the system why you're overriding the price. There are four total. I remember that #2 is for a price match. Another one of them is miscellaneous, and a third is for items that rang up wrong. That one automatically deducts the $3 from the item's price.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I...Just don't understand WHAT that woman wanted!? Free would have worked for me. Blood indeed! She got it, it's seeping from my eyeballs right now.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I've gotten a $9 block of cheese for free at wal-mart because the price rang in wrong by like $2 or so, I had gone back in after checking my receipt just to get the price adjusted to the correct one and they were follwing the scanning code of practice, so free cheese! I don't see why anyone would complain about getting something for free!
                “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

Quoth Muses_nightmare View Post
                  I don't see why anyone would complain about getting something for free!
                  Because ... no wait..scratch that .. would be fratching..carry on
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Interesting. I got a 59$ game for 16$ because it was advertised incorrectly- I bought two copies, even. I wonder if different stores have different policies?

Comment

Working...
                    X