This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Sad Weekend

Not the best of times at all. First of all, I found out that I didn't get into the university course that would enable me to become a qualified teacher I was prepared for that though. There were only four places and they held over 100 interviews. So that was sad.

I have also learned that I am being made redundant from the school The government cuts have left them with absolutely no money. My office job is going, because there is not enough demand for evening classes. No one wants to commit and spend the money in this economy. The office job made up 75% of my income.

There is no word on my classroom job yet, but they are going to inform me this week about that. But even if they did keep that, it wouldn't make much difference. I might as well live on benefits for all the money it will bring.

So yeah, not good at all The school have tried to make me feel better by saying "If something opens up, you will be the first to know." But what are the odds on something opening up when they are getting rid of jobs?

I may have to go back to the pub for much longer than two weeks

That sucks! I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but maybe something will open up at the school...somebody will quit or whatever. You never know.

Hugs? Cookies? Brandy?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      That sucks! I don't wish anything bad on anyone, but maybe something will open up at the school...somebody will quit or whatever. You never know.

Hugs? Cookies? Brandy?
      Hugs and vodka for me! Good job I'm not in the classroom in the morning!

I know, it's very sad when you wish that other people would leave so you could stay. The thing is, I freaking love my job. When I go into school, I don't feel like I am going to work. I never dread it, I never worry, when I am there, I never find myself looking at the clock, counting down the minutes until home time. It is the most rewarding job I have ever had.

Comment

That sucks. I hope you can find something better than going back to the pub.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I say network with your fellow staffers/teachers/everyone and get the goods on who might be hiring, especially if it's remotely similar to your current focus. Anything to keep you away from the pub. Your health and happiness are not insignificant.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
            I never dread it, I never worry, when I am there, I never find myself looking at the clock, counting down the minutes until home time.
            That's the way a job should be. I'm sorry that your job is going.
            I hope something will turn up soon.
            Can you apply for unemployment for a time? That would give you more time to find something better than the pub. At least a better pub with better management.

Comment

*oodles of hugs and all the booze and good wishes you can handle*
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm sorry.

I'm going to be unemployed at the end of the month because of the cuts - the government cut the council money and the council cut our funding. I kind of feel it was time for a change but I also feel terrified about how hard it will be to find work in the next few months. I am pretty much only qualified for work in the voluntary sector or some council jobs and everything I might do has been hit. I'm much more angry about the cuts to the service we offer as there is more demand than ever before. My father's job is also at risk.

In short - the cuts stink.

It's a sad thing to have to leave a job you like but it does show you've found what you want to do. You might not be able to keep that job, but you know what to look for. Working in the pub or similar might be pretty horrible but if you know you are working towards what you want to do it might not be so bad.

And you were largely waiting to apply for courses weren't you ? Once you are definitely ready there should be other opportunities. If you can keep working in the classroom, then you'll be becoming a stronger and stronger candidate (plus getting great references from the school).

You need to work out how to get to the job you want in the long term, but you're miles ahead of the people who don't know what they want. (If it works out in the long term it may be worth claiming benefit for a little while and volunteering to get more experience to get further work in the field or a course place).

And from what you've posted about the school they probably actually mean it when they say they'll contact you if something comes up, and it may do. Not all financial decisions are made in April, plus the reality of the situation becomes apparent. Someone thinks there's no budget for your reception job and then they find it costs more to deal with emergencies in your absence (when everyone in the building locks themselves out one at a time !).

Victoria J

Comment

Have you looked into subbing? A few of my friends from school who finished the teaching program weren't able to find jobs as teachers but they are currently subbing full time, it isn't quite as stable as being a teacher but the pay isn't bad and it would give you classroom experience, plus you don't need to be fully qualified/certified to be a teacher. I don't know what your area is like but it couldn't hurt to look.

Comment

He's in England/Great Britain if memory serves. Very, if not completely, different education laws and rigmarole there.
                    But still, an idea!
                    And is so, so much better than HellPub.
                    Also, totally, totally agree with Victoria J.-- how is the whole school thing going? Do you know what semester/when you're going to be able to start school yet?
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I'm so sorry for you.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I hope you don't have to go back to the pub. If you do, go to a different one that doesn't suck like the one you were at. :-(
                        It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                        -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Working...
                        X