This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's okay, we won't shoot you.

I used to work at a fairly common brick and mortar game store on a military base used to train medics, assist with recovery of those with missing... well, ranged from missing fingers and extended to missing faces & limbs and we'll leave it at that, and put old generals out to pasture. As a result, we got quite a few people who were on drugs legally, and occasionally irrational. This is vital to understanding that this incident was fairly normal.

Me: Soldier named game girl goddess still not sure on that one.
    RG: random guy
    CW: coworker

Me: Hello sir, anything I can help you with today?
    RG: "You.... you're from England aren't you."
    Me: "um.... no?"
    RG: "YOU ARE FROM ENGLAND!"
    Me: "Sir, I assure you, I'm not. I was born in *state on the east coast*"
    RG: "England. I can tell!"
    *a note, when I lived in Germany, we got British channels, so when I get stressed, I do start to sound British, though I've never set foot there. I'm told it's charming, but this is not helping my argument*
    Me: "Sir, I've never been in England, is there any game I can help you with?"
    I can see CW laughing his head off in the background.
    RG: Leans close, gives me a conspiratorial whisper. "It's okay to admit it you know, we don't shoot you brits anymore."
    Me:
    Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
    Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
    -Unknown Author

Whoa. Makes me wonder who RG *does* shoot these days.
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
      Me: Hello sir, anything I can help you with today?
      RG: "You.... you're from England aren't you."
      Me: "um.... no?"
      RG: "YOU ARE FROM ENGLAND!"
      Me: "Sir, I assure you, I'm not. I was born in *state on the east coast*"
      I used to get this all the time when I was a kid (9-13 age range). No idea why, aside from the fact that I had manners, and spoke grammatically correct (American!) English. Born in CA, grew up in Chicagoland, no discernible accent. In 7th grade, half the people in my biology class were convinced I was English because I "talked funny"
      Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
      At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

I get this all the time. I get asked I I'm British occasionally. I've been asked if I'm German once. And most often I'm asked 'Where are you from?' My accent is American but not from any specific region. And in very proud of that fact.
        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I just got "your accent is so cute!" when I visited the States, or people couldn't understand me and gave me a really blank look before going "oh, you meant *word*!" I'm so glad no one tried to shoot me...
          I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Going by how stupid this guy was, in all likeliness, he would probably have not have understood you if you really were English.

I get this so much it's stopped being funny and is starting to be a real pain in my arrrse. Some people at least try, but some people are downright rude about and even refuse to speak to me.

I'm from southern England; my accent is NOT strong. It's not like trying to make sense of the crap that comes out Cheryl Cole's mouth

Comment

I keep getting asked if I'm South African. I'm Hampshire born and bred with a little Queens English taught in for phone manners. Now if only I could get people to believe me!
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I get asked ALL the time where I'm from. I've been told that I'm Canadian at least 5 times (born and raised in Orange County, CA). Apparently it's how I pronounce my "a"s and "o"s . People only believe me when I tell them where I'm from is when I slip and add "like" alot
                Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Maybe he's just a Britiot.
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I've been asked if I'm from Minnesota. Never set foot in that state, so I'm not sure why they would ask that.

I think British accents are way sexy, btw...
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've been told that I have an accent. That's all. Just an accent. I have no idea what this means, really. Is it a southern accent because I was born in NC? A Pacific Northwest accent because I lived in Washington state for 8 years? Or a Colorado accent? It's particularly prominent when I sing, though, apparently.

And I will admit this now- I've tricked at least three people into believing that I'm from England. Once was on a dare from my mom. The other two times was just me trying to confuse the hell outta one of my teachers in 8th grade and one of my classmates in 10th.
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I've never left the country, but get told/asked all the time that/if I'm from: Australia, England, Canada, the USA, South Africa, Scandinavia ???? ... :shrugs: no idea why!
                        And that's when I'm *sober* lol
                        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                        What's the difference?
                        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

When I went to school in northern MN, everyone would ask me about my 'southern' accent.

Because Iowa is so southern.

Comment

Hubby and I don't get it Stateside, but when he was in Venezuela for two years, apparently his accent didn't sound American. It sounded German.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I grew up in New Jersey but I've lived in Florida now almost as long as I lived in NJ. A few years ago I talked to an online friend on the phone - who lives in Vermont - and later on she wrote to me "I love your southern accent!" Now, I'm sure any accent I might have now is much different from how someone from Vermont speaks, but I can't imagine that I have a southern accent...if anything it's a mix of Jersey and the melting pot that is most of Florida!
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X