Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Closed Thread

We're closed!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:39 AM
Bagger

Default We're closed!

I know there are plenty of these stories out there, but I had one tonight that I must share.

So, these two ladies walk in about an hour before closing with a return, but they want to do some shopping first and decide to leave their merchandise up front. Fair enough. We do this all the time. So, the hour passes, and at about 15 minutes to closing, the closing announcements begin. No sign of them. Then we do the final announcement, and they still haven't shown up. Finally, about 15 minutes after we've closed, they stroll their way up to the registers, taking their sweet time and not caring that we're closed and would really like to go home.

We start the return, but then lady #1 has to go through her behemoth of a purse looking for the receipt. (Oh, joy!) 5 minutes and piles of wadded up paper and money later, she doesn't have the receipt. Surprised? Of course not. Meanwhile, one of the items she's returning doesn't have a price, and since we're very old-fashioned and don't have any sort of scanner or computer system, we have to wait on the lady from that department to get the price. Anyway, I finish the return, but then (about 20 minutes after closing), I have to start ringing up their HUGE cartful of merchandise, most of which is breakable and has to be wrapped. While doing this, these ladies are being glared at by everyone else in the store since we're forced to wait on them to finish, but they barely notice and continue on their conversation because we forgot the world revolves around them.

Finally, 45 minutes after closing, they are finished, and we're FREE! Lots of rambling, but long story short: I hate people.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Customer

This is why closed needs to mean CLOSED. Tills off. Computers down. Sorry ma'am, nothing I can do for you now.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:07 AM
Bagger

Craftstoreslave, I feel your pain.
That scenario could easily be one of my own (and, unfortunately, HAS been).
Only difference is that the people in my story would be talking on a cellphone the whole time and their check would not go through.

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Old 07-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Bagger

Gods, I hate it when people do that! You're right...I think THEY think the world revolves around THEM. Another thing I hate is when people expect us to stay open late for them! We've had customers call five minutes before closing saying they are on the way to our store, but won't be there until after we close and could we still let them in after closing! Then, they get all mad when we tell them no. Holey moley...we're open 11 hours a day! They could make it there during business hours.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Bagger

We've had the phone call thing happen before. And then, to our dismay, the managers always cave and say "Suuuuure!"

Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Master of the Hypnotoad

Frankly I'd have called the cops. Once the store is closed, people in it are at the discretion of the people running the store. After you tell them to leave and they don't they are considered trespassing.

Mongo

Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Cable Diva

Quote:
Quoth One-Fang
This is why closed needs to mean CLOSED. Tills off. Computers down. Sorry ma'am, nothing I can do for you now.
Yes indeed. I mean, why should the customers care if you're closed if they can check out & return things? As long as they get in the store BEFORE closing time... I really wish managers would back up their workers.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Pill Jockey

Oh man, that is the exact same scenario that has happened time and time again at my work. What I absolutely HATE is when the managers start BS-ing with people and they forget that 9pm came and went, and the lights are still on because they weren't paying attention to the time. That means more people we have to yell at through the door saying we're close, more time we have to waste there, and frankly, my shift is 5-9, so why do I care about anything after 9? 9pm comes, I'm done. The End. Just last night, at closing, as ALL OF THE EMPLOYEES were walking through the lot to their cars to go home, some lady comes up, realizes the door is locked, and runs up to me:

"Are you closed?"
"Yes."
"Does this mean I can't get my blahblahblah???"
*I speed up and walk away*.

People who bother me after closing WILL incur rudeness whether they like it or not.

Managers always need to back up closing rules more forcefully. Such as, at 9pm, the registers ARE shut down, the doors ARE locked, the lights ARE shut off, the employees ARE gone, and NO, no one is available to help you, so please leave!

</rant>

Old 07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Noli nothis permittere te tere

our managers got so sick of customers thinking they could shop after closing that they actually had went around to customers and said, the computer automatically go into cash up mode 10 minutes after our closing time.

at one point it got so bad that we would literally refuse service 10 minutes after closing, if you werent in line by 5.10 then you werent getting your stuff purchased.

thats why I loved my manager, 10 minutes after signs went up on our departments registers and she made the customers search out another department to get their stuff. We had to do it, some times they would come up with 15 different types of ribbon, wanting a metre of each... that takes a good 20 minutes by the time they ho hum their way through each one

I remember one customer who said " your store closes when I have finished shopping" .... we were all dumb founded at that much entitlement squished into one person

Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm super fabulous!

I would have replied to someone like that, "No, we're bound by trading laws actually." I did in fact have a customer whine to me, "Why can't you stay open for longer? I only want a few things!" I replied, "Sorry, I can't let you in cuz you could be from the government. We're only allowed to trade for half an hour after closing time."