This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APRICOTS

I have so many! I just put away 9 pounds in the freezer and have a massive grocery bag left to go through. The Boyfriend and I made Apricot Preserves last night. It's certainly enough to last ME a while!

I have a big apricot tree in my front year. The year I moved into the house (two years this August) I was told that the tree had NEVER had apricots, but that wasn't unusual around here. Last year, I really hoped for apricots and didn't get ANY. So The Boyfriend and I trimmed the tree over the Winter, fertilized it and set a drip line out to it so it can get some water. This year we have BILLIONS. I already gave my mom a ton of apricots -- which, after weighing some a mere 10 minutes ago have realized I just gave her closer to 15 lbs than the 5 we originally thought! We made a tiny tiny dent in the amount of apricots left on the tree today. We've been picking every evening for nearly a week!

I gave some away to the nice neighbor lady down the street.

I'll be taking some to work to get turned into Apricot Gelato.

We have 10+ pounds left in the fridge to process. We're now looking up wine methods.

What else can I do with these things?!

(The 9 pounds I put in the freezer, haha, The Boyfriend told me that if we'd purchased them at the local grocery store, it would have cost us $27)

Next year, we're going to try to sell them at the Farmer's Market. This year they're too small to make it worth it.
    Last edited by Evil Queen; 06-30-2011, 05:31 AM. Reason: Spacing and forgot to add the lack of a dent in the amount of apricots i have left!!!!!!!!
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

APOCOTS.

I EATED DEM.
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

DO YOU WANT MOAR?!?

Please take them.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

So jealous! I want them badly. Badly enough that I've got two tiny saplings even though I'm just out of the right climate area. *crosses fingers*
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          DO YOU WANT MOAR?!?
          Newp.

Do you know what you need?

The Fruit Mafia to strike.

GO.

BE FRUITY AT PEOPLE.

Comment

Fruit Mafia, I missed that so much.

Mishi, good luck with your little saplings! It'll take many many years before your tree bears fruit but I hope it does! It's too bad you're in Aussie Land. I would have happy to give you a crate or 3.

Comment

Fruit Mafia, I missed that so much.

Mishi, good luck with your little saplings! It'll take many many years before your tree bears fruit but I hope it does! It's too bad you're in Aussie Land. I would have happy to give you a crate or 3.
              Same deal, I would've taken the odd crate. I love my apricots

Fruit Mafia. So....we have Don Apple, Orange the Squealer, Prune Tightlips, Banana Of Doom......
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Pear's the Moocher.

Comment

Apricot pineapple preserves are wonderful. Also, call your local food bank and ask if they accept produce from peoples trees. They might even have people that will come and pick them for you.

Comment

Stick 'em in a jar and pour scotch or vodka over them. Apricot liqueur.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Evil Queen, I have a wonderful recipe for mincemeat using apricots and almonds, I can send it to you if you would like?
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

What else can I do with these things?!
                        Dried apricots.

I have no idea how to make them, but I am sure you can find it on the net. And dried apricots are basically fruit crack that my grandma turned me on to. It's like candy, only healthier!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

I second dried apricots, and I DO know how to make them.

Clean them really well, and pick ones that don't have any bruising or rotten spots. Cut them in half and remove the pit. You can cut them into quarters if you want, though I don't know if that will speed up the drying time significantly. Arrange the pieces on a baking sheet, cut side facing up and put them in your oven on the lowest setting you can get it on. If the lowest setting is 200 or higher (the warm setting is usually around that if I recall), prop open the door a bit with the handle of a wooden or metal utensil. It'll probably take a few days to get them properly dried out.

It's ok to turn the oven off for a bit if you're going out for a while, just turn it back on when you get home again. When they've shrunk to half their original size or less and they're all leathery, they should be just about done.

Have you thought about simply pureeing some of the apricots to use in cakes and sauces and such? Freeze it in 6 to 8 oz batches if you have the containers. Plus, as puree they'll take up less room in the freezer than whole or even diced fruit does.

My boyfriend's parents have some young apricot trees, but didn't get any fruit this year thanks to a late freeze. Can't wait til they get big enough to have more fruit than they can use, I love homemade apricot preserves and dried apricots (and dried apricot bits are amazing in fudge) and no doubt I'd find dozens of other things to use them in.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Apricot pie? Apricot cobbler? Grilled apricots?
                            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Thanks! I know it will take forever, but it's worth the wait. I wish I could have a few crates of your apricots though, homegrown fruit always tastes awesome! I have loads of raspberries at the moment.
                              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Working...
                              X