This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving My New Job!

I've been hired as the Graphic Designer for a plumbing company, something I did put a post about before, but now I've been there for a couple weeks I have to say it's a pretty great job!

It's certainly better than just being a production artist and having to place things in a template all day. So far I've designed their summer flyer, promotional t-shirts, a couple of ads, and I'm working on a design for their catalogue! I'm really loving that it's not just doing the same thing everyday, I have so many projects on the go, which is how I like to work!

I'm also doing their social networking right now, I've been told that by the fall they want to have someone else doing that full time, which would be good for me, because it is a bunch of extra work on my plate. Though my boss seems to really like my writing, could be because the last person to do it didn't speak English as their first language so a lot needed to be corrected, with me not only is English my first and only language, I also took several university level courses in it, as well as many others that involved a lot of writing, and I write personally, so it's just something I do naturally for the most part. Though the blogging and social networking aren't things I really want to have on my plate forever here because I'm sure as things progress I'll get a lot busier with the design work. It is good to have on my resume though.

There aren't many things I don't like about the job, I hate answering the phones, but that's minor, irritating, but minor. The pay could be better, but I'm not going to complain too much about that, and it might go up after 3 months. There is a bit of a language barrier at times, since everyone there speaks Punjabi and well, I don't. but again, that's minor, everyone is very nice and I seem to be finding my fit there. Nothing too big *knock on wood* and the fact that I'm basically the head graphic designer totally makes it worth it!

I'm just happy I found work in my field after 7 months of nothing, and it's 9-5 M-F and I have stats off!
    “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Yay! Congratulations on the job!
    I know exactly what you mean about the changing work. I love print shop work because of that. I go batty with the same stuff day in day out. At least English is also spoken at work, and worse comes to worse you can bury your head in your own work. Your coworkers can improve their English on you, and perhaps you can learn some Punjabi!
    (PS: I am a language nerd. The last two suggestions are something I'd be interested in, but not necessarily you'd be interested in! (<--@myself) )
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I wouldn't mind picking up another language (or 3 ), I'm trying to teach myself more french, well I was before I started working. I know enough to read the back of the cereal box right now :P lol It would be a good thing to know especially living in Canada.

My boyfriend knows how to say a few things like "hold still" and " Are you pregnant?" in Punjabi, because he's an x-ray tech at a hospital in a location where the majority of the population is East Indian. Though I doubt those phrases would be helpful to me. haha
      “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hey, hey, reading the back of a cereal box (or any promotional material, really) is a big thing! It means you can reasonably function as literate. I'm still trying on past/future tenses in French.
        OMG you and bf can study together! :3 awww cuuuute!
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
        X