This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leading by Example

When I was in high school and college, I worked a LOT of service-industry jobs. Pizza cook, sandwich maker, you name it, I probably did it. I've seen waitresses break down in tears and cry in the back room after a $100+ table completely stiffed them or, even worse, walked on the check. So its been pretty ingrained in my head to be nice to waitstaff. I mean, duh, these people handle your food. Be nice!

My wife didnt understand until we moved to Seattle. There's only a couple of places we regularly go, and I usually tip around 25-30% every time, which my wife thought was unreal: "Why did you give them so much money???" My response: "You'll see."

After the 2nd visit, she saw: People started remembering us, remembering our names and more importantly what we usually ordered and what we always got to drink. Service was pretty much always awesome.

So if you're someone reading these forums that DOESNT work in the service industry, dont forget the tip. I personally disagree with the regulation that allows employers to hire wait staff at rates below minimum wage, but thats not your server's fault. For everyone that tips generously, there are 3 or 4 that shaft them. Be nice to your server.

After all, they have to put up with you.

I have to admit, I try to always tip wait staff very well, because I've been there, and it's not fun. (at least, it wasn't in the restaurant I worked in, and I use the term "restaurant" very loosely)

Case in point, last night I took my two kids out to East Side Mario's, just to get out of the house, since they'd been going stir crazy all day (it's like -30 up here right now). The guy who seated us looked a teensy bit apprehensive (single mom, two kids, uh-oh)... but our waiter was extremely pleasant and polite, joking around with the kids and generally being very attentive and nice he brought the bill and I puzzled over it for a bit, because he'd only charged me for one child's meal. It took me a few minutes to realize that Sundays are "kids eat free" day (one child per adult present, I think), so my son ate for free.

Well, that pretty much made my day (it cost about as much as it would to feed the three of us at Subway, and the food was INFINITELY better!) so he got an even bigger tip than I'd have left him normally. It wasn't what I'd call amazingly generous, but it was a lot of money on my current budget.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I'm a big believer in tipping well, as you can see in some of my previous restaurant-related posts.

Heck, we gave our waiter on Saturday afternoon an extra dollar just for being entertaining.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I try to always tip well too, 15-20% minimum, more for exceptional service, or if my budget allows.

I worked restaurants as either dishwasher, or busboy, early on in my working life, and though I only received tips indirectly, I do recall how hard the staff works.

tollbaby's post made me think of this reminder, please be sure when taking restaurants up on any offer, Buy One Get One Free/1/2 Price etc, to tip as you would if paying full price for all meals.

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

I also believe in over tipping. The other night me and my fiance went out to our local all you can eat place and I didn't have cash for a tip and I forgot to ask the cashier to take it out when I paid for the meal up front. So after we finished eating I went up to the register to ask them to take money out of my credit card for a tip. They said they couldn't do it unless it's done when paying for the meal. So I actually left my fiance at the resteraunt and drove to my bank to get cash out so I could leave a tip because having people sitting in your section for over an hour and not leaving a tip just sucks. The cashier asked me when I got back, "Did you drive all the way to the bank just to leave a tip?"

I said, "Yeah, don't worry. It's no big deal."

"Oh that's so nice! They really appreciate it."

"I know, I used to wait tables for a couple of months and I hated people that stiffed me."

I look at it as if I am renting the table from the waiter.

Comment

A couple years ago, my family had dinner at a BBQ place where for $1 extra, they would make any platter all-you-can-eat. So the poor waitress ended up running back and forth quite a bit, but she was uber-friendly and efficient, drinks always full, empty plates vanishing in a blink. We all agreed she deserved a nice tip for all that

Mom was paying, but she only had a $100 bill, so we made change at the register, and I went back to leave the cash on the table.

However, the ever-efficient waitress had already cleared off the table and disappeared into the back. I peeked in at the kitchen doorway, and she was whispering to another waitress, clearly UNhappy. I waved to her, gave her the 35% tip and explained we just needed change. She perked right up, but we still felt kinda bad that she thought we'd stiffed her
            Stay away from those crooked elves! They look like women and they smell like hell.
            So if you would take my sound advice, keep a distance of at least ten feet.

Comment

Working...
            X