X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I got fired today...

Yep.

I'd been working at the place about a month. So it's during the trial period. I was asked to come to the office for a meeting, and that's when I found out.

Now, I have to admit that I can see one reason why they canned me. I don't know if this is the reason - I don't know any of the reasons - but I did make a big mistake. I apologized for it, but that doesn't mean it was enough.

They're going to have a hell of a time finding someone else who speaks English and is willing to make such a long commute for such low pay. Well, too bad.

I have a rather blank feeling. I don't feel sad or panicky. Instead, I'm looking at this beautiful sunny day and thinking, "I have much more time now. I can do much more. I'm available to do many things I really want to do. Bring on the satisfying work!"

Depending on your skills, this is what I do, and it's a nice change of pace. Plus we did just land a large contract (can't say with whom) so we should be getting a lot more work soon.
    http://www.3playmedia.com/company/jo...script-editor/

Comment

Barracuda, I know that was directed at Eireann but you have no idea how excited that just made me as something I could apply for.

Eireann: I'm sorry you were fired. It sounds like it might be a good thing, though, considering!
      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
        Barracuda, I know that was directed at Eireann but you have no idea how excited that just made me as something I could apply for.

Eireann: I'm sorry you were fired. It sounds like it might be a good thing, though, considering!
        I'm gonna ditto this whole post. The job sounds wonderful, and Eireann? Obviously that job wasn't the right one for you. Now you're free to look for the right one.

Comment

So sorry to hear about that, Eirann. <hugs>

And I have to totally third the other posts. If they weren't going to forgive you over the one mistake, then obviously it would've been heck on earth. You're better off, now you can find a better job. <hugs> Just keep your chin up ^^
          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

That sucks, but I'm gonna channel my mom and say look at it as an opportunity to find something better. Good luck.

Barracuda, that job sounds like it'd be perfect for me if I need to earn a little extra cash.... I love that sort of stuff (never did transcription but spelling/grammar/punctuation mistakes just seem to jump out at me when I read. Which drives me crazy when I'm reading something like a mainstream-published book or magazine, but that's a different rant. ).
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

*hug* fpr Eireann. That's a great outlook to have!

Barracuda, that looks AWESOME... I could use the extra money. But no college degree. Damn.
              "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Well, to be honest, it wasn't one of those minor mistakes. I also made a mistake that I do consider to be minor, but Head Office was irate. That mistake was, I let Head Office know that I wouldn't be in the next day.

Now, in my view, this is not a major offense. However, Head Office gave me a warning. I was not to tell them I had to take the day off; I was to ask for permission. Only nobody ever told me this, and given the fact that I was new, I do believe Head Office could have taken this into account.

The other mistake, though, was most definitely not a minor mistake, so - I suppose it was my way of getting out of that job that took twelve hours out of each day, so that I only had a few hours between getting home and going to bed that were truly mine.

Time for something BIG and GOOD!
                Last edited by Eireann; 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Eireann, I've said it before and I'll say it again, because I honestly believe it, and have experienced it firsthand on numerous occasions: when one door closes, another door opens. The good thing is that you are not really devastated by this turn of events, so you can see this as the opportunity it really is. So often people don't, as they just focus on the negative part of the event that has just occurred.

Quoth Eisa View Post
                  ...you have no idea how excited that just made me as something I could apply for.
                  I actually wouldn't mind applying for it myself, as I could use the extra cash. Problem is, I meet all of the qualifications and then some...except I don't have my college degree. I'm still seven classes short.

So, Barracuda, how much of a requirement is that requirement?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

I've had some time to get used to the possibility of being canned. I was in a very negative mood yesterday, but I talked myself out of it, finally. At the end of the day, I said to myself, "Whatever happens at the meeting, I can handle it."

As one wise person said, "Don't get stuck in the half-open door." This is a continuation of Jester's quote that when one door closes, another opens. We just need to look for the open door, rather than trying to force open the other one.

I'd been resenting all the time that job was taking from my life. I had a session with my therapist today to work on job opportunities, how to handle interviews, and the like, and he admitted, "I've been wondering how long you were going to last there."

I applied for two jobs today. I have an interview tomorrow (not for either of the two jobs, but for something else). There are things I can now get done. I have an agreement with a business owner here to work for him when such work is booked; this hasn't happened yet, but it will.

I just feel free.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                      Depending on your skills, this is what I do, and it's a nice change of pace. Plus we did just land a large contract (can't say with whom) so we should be getting a lot more work soon.
                      http://www.3playmedia.com/company/jo...script-editor/
                      Bah. US residence is a requirement.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Oh, yes, today at my therapist's, I weighed myself.

Total weight loss: 6.6 kilos/14.52 pounds.

Yay ME!

Comment

Yay! that is nothing to sneeze at!
                          If you're okay with getting rid of this job, then so am I. Glad you have your life back.
                          "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                          "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I'm afraid any questions about the specific requirements are out of my knowledge. I do believe they strongly take into account your test sample, though. Here are my qualifications: 5 years customer service, over 1 year spent taking calls from home over the internet (I would post that job, too, but they only hire people from Oregon or at least West Coast US.) Excellent grammar skills, excellent spelling skills, excellent typing speed, very good reading comprehension. "Phone ear", which is an industry term meaning you have experience deciphering difficult accents or speech over a phone (since recordings are going to be very similar.) A college degree, specifically a BA in Sociology. I included all this in my application; I didn't realize I was opening the floodgates, and I should warn people that I doubt that they will hire more than one or two new editors at this time even if they are increasing volume. Last month was VERY slow; I earned all of $75 the month before, and then earned over $300 in the last week of this pay period when the floodgates opened for jobs. This is a volume based job; there is no pay for time spent, only per minute of audio transcribed/edited, and work is NOT guaranteed. I would apply even if you don't meet the qualifications on the college degree, they may accept experience in fields such as call center customer service. You have nothing to lose by trying.

----

To those who don't live in the US, don't despair, there ARE legitimate work from home transcription jobs out there. Simply look for them, it is the wave of the future. Video producers for documentaries who need CC text, videos of business meetings, legal transcriptions, medical, they all exist worldwide. Even though you may not be able to work for THIS company you should be able to find a legitimate opportunity in your region of the world. It is a quickly growing field and probably the wave of the future when it comes to transcription. Just remember the key rule--Most legitimate jobs will NOT ask you to pay them to get started, although some may ask you to buy certain equipment such as transcription/voice word recognition software, a headset, and a foot pedal. Eireann, my apologies. My post was meant as a suggestion for you, not an attempt to threadjack, I swear.
                            Last edited by Dave1982; 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Interview today!

It's an up-and-coming project, it'll get started soon, and the organizers are very excited about my ideas! I'm going to write descriptions of each one and help them with the language portion of their website (since they aren't native speakers of English). It's something that will keep on going, and DAMN, this is good!

Comment

Working...
                              X