X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicap staff & students have to pay the parking fee in visitor parking

Background information:

The parking office at the university I work at as a contract visitor parking attendant sells handicap parking permits & access cards for the faculty/staff garage. Students, faculty, and staff can buy the permit. Handicap parking is on the 2nd level. The existing visitor parking garage is under rennovation. The first level of the faculty/staff garage is currently being used for visitor parking.

Nancy from the parking office *not her real name*, a clerk at the parking office, came down to the visitor parking booth earlier this week to tell me & the first shift attendant that if anyone having a university issued handicapped parking permit and access card parks in visitor parking, the have to pay the $5.00 parking fee to exit. They can no longer use their access card. When they drive up to the visitor parking booth window, we are supposed to inform them that 1) they have to pay the $5.00 parking fee, & 2) we have to get the number off their handicap parking permit.

I wonder how this one will be enforced.

i can definately see how this is going to fly..... what does vegas have for the time until an ada violation is filed?

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
      i can definately see how this is going to fly..... what does vegas have for the time until an ada violation is filed?
      Actually, unless there's more going on here, there's no law against charging for handicapped parking, as long as they're not the only ones paying. Several of the pay-for-parking garages I've been in have marked spots right near the elevators, or on the street-level of the garage.

But if they've been getting free parking up to this point, I imagine the complaining will be loud. Nobody likes losing a freebie, and even the handicapped can be SCs.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

^This. It is not illegal in any way to charge handicapped people for parking in a parking garage. If I'm going somewhere with my mom, we fully expect to pay to park except in places where we don't have to.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
          sells handicap parking permits & access cards for the faculty/staff garage
          These permit-holders already paid for their parking permit. Sounds like it's a case of the upper-level handicap stalls being taken, so the driver parks on the lower level in Visitor Parking where it's more convenient. As long as the 2nd level is handicap accessible and there are open stalls, even if the handicap stalls are taken, I can understand why the parking office wants people to park where they're supposed to. Visitors can't park on the second level, and a permit-holder shouldn't take spot in visitor parking when there are openings available in their own section.

If memory serves, the parking office wants all permit holders (not just those with handicap permits) to be charged if they park in visitor parking. Enforcing the rules and making people pay is a whole other issue, however.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

My main question is.. with the reduced parking.. has the amount of handicapped parking been adjusted? If I recall correctly from all the planning committee meetings I have read, there must be a certain amount of handicapped parking spaces to non-handicapped spaces available.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
              My main question is.. with the reduced parking.. has the amount of handicapped parking been adjusted? If I recall correctly from all the planning committee meetings I have read, there must be a certain amount of handicapped parking spaces to non-handicapped spaces available.
              Handicap parking is now in front of campus police since there is a handicap ramp in that area as well as an elevator lobby with a hanicap ramp. The problem with this setup is that people who are not handicap park in those spots, & campus police does nothing about it. It is not monitored. The reason why I know this is that there is a bathroom over there that I use, & I have seen this happen.
              Last edited by snugglegirl05; 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X