This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: kinda' sappy.

So it was about a year ago and I wanted to get a ring for my then girlfriend; however, I was working at a gas station at minimum wage and that wasn't really a possibility. Anyhow one day a woman came in and she's run out of gas and money. Since she was proud she didn't want to take charity from anyone, so she began pawning her jewelry. I felt really bad for her, and no one there decided to help her so I attempted to give her a twenty, and I insisted she should just come in another time and pay me back. She stopped me, looked me in the eyes and said: "My mother never raised me to take charity, do you have a girlfriend?"

I said yes.

She pulled a ring off of her ring finger and pressed it into my hand and said "Give that to her."

Dumbfounded, I handed her the twenty.

I never saw her again, and when I had the ring checked out later it turned out it was a genuine black hills gold (around here that's considered fairly top-notch, the ladies around here brag when their significant others give them black hills hold) and was worth somewhere around 200 bucks.

I consider myself a very reserved and emotionless guy, but this story always makes me tear up a bit since I'm fairly certain this ring was her engagement ring, and she more or less gave it to me for a meager twenty bucks.
    Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Black Hills Gold? Cool...never heard of it. Sounds nice though.

That is a touching story though, it serves to remind us that there is goodness in the world, you just have to sow it before you can reap any....

Comment

Black Hills Gold is jewelry that is made in the Black Hills of South Dakota, it is a very distictive jewelry. They are made with green and red leaves and grape clusters. It is an amazing jewelry!! If you go to QVC you can view what the pieces look like. We used to have Homestake gold mine in Lead SD where most of the gold came from to make the jewelry. It is very beautiful and of course since I live here in the Black Hills I can get the jewelry dirt cheap. They have all kinds of things..rings, beltbuckles, earrings, watches, necklaces. Check it out!! I used to work at a gold company here making the jewelry, it was an interesting job. Every piece is designed and made right here in the Black Hills. I would have stayed with the company but they layed off the night crew and I never went back.
      Last edited by jnd4rusty; 02-25-2007, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
        Black Hills Gold is jewelry that is made in the Black Hills of South Dakota, it is a very distictive jewelry. They are made with green and red leaves and grape clusters.
        It's beautiful stuff. I live in...um...a nearby state to the previously mentioned one, it starts with an 'N' and it's below you, not above you (sorry, 'legal work anonymity') so we have a constant influx of Black Hills Gold, but it's also probably 300% more than you pay for it in SD. Funny how supply and demand works...
        Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Comment

Working...
        X