Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Closed Thread

Politics
Old 11-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Just some guy

Default Politics

The US is getting pretty political right now. Just a general request - politics to Fratching. What's more important is the occasional political side-swipe.

Trust me, it's the spark that engulfs the tinderbox. Can we keep them off here, please?

Rapscallion

Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Area Manager

I was planning to post pictures of the NH primary from the "average person's view" (basically, I walk about and take photos of the craziness because it gets REALLY crazy in <city>. I make no commentary on the candidates or politics, it's more "hey look there's a group of people with signs and whistles! Here's a guy shouting why his candidate is more awesome than you! Look! Mounted police!" Would those be kosher?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Is not a mind reader

Quote:
Quoth ralerin View Post
I was planning to post pictures of the NH primary from the "average person's view" (basically, I walk about and take photos of the craziness because it gets REALLY crazy in <city>. I make no commentary on the candidates or politics, it's more "hey look there's a group of people with signs and whistles! Here's a guy shouting why his candidate is more awesome than you! Look! Mounted police!" Would those be kosher?
As innocuous as that seems on the surface, probably not, unfortunately. Even the most innocent political pic or topic has the tendency to snowball into a free-for-all or devolve into fratching.

It'd probably get a laugh or some good comments over at fratch, if you wanna consider it.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Area Manager

Alright.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 PM
I need a life

Since politics is one of the "hot topics" that is also a fertile ground for jokes, would the following 2 categories of political jokes be allowed?

1. Poking fun at politicians as a class (typical example: planeload of Congressmen crashes, farmer buries them. When questioned about the lack of survivors, he says that some of them said they were still alive, but politicians always lie).

2. Jokes that work equally well in both directions (to use U.S. examples, there are some that I've seen from both the viewpoint of Republicans making fun of Democrats, and from the viewpoint of Democrats making fun of republicans), sanitized to use "Party X" and "Party Y" to represent the 2 sides (readers can substitute their favourite 2 parties).

Also, what about jokes where a religious setting provides a background, but the religion involved is not the target of the joke (e.g. a drunk mistaking a confessional for a toilet stall would always take place in a Catholic church, because that's where you'd find a confessional)?

Alternately, could a "jokes" forum be added to Fratching for jokes that would be "out of bounds" for Customers Suck?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Lantean Moderator

Neither of those types of politic jokes (or any political jokes) would be acceptable here on CS. Experience has taught us that no matter how neutral and carefully worded they are, someone is bound to either take offense, or take that joke and run the thread straight into Fratching with no hope of recovery.

If it's political, it belongs on Fratching.

As far as the religious ones.....that's a gray area. We usually take religious themed jokes on a case-by-case basis.

RIP Plaidman.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Diner Darlin'

When in doubt, take it to the land of Fratching.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I need a life

In that case, could we get a Jokes forum at Fratching, for stuff that would be too "hot" for Customers Suck?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Just some guy

Discussed it a while back, actually - we decided that the concept of such a section was tempting, but how long before it got really nasty and violent?

Rapscallion

Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Long live Gaz

They've got a point. Even -- or maybe "especially" -- on sites with no political agenda whatsoever like CS, even really innocuous things that could be interpreted as political/religious-related slights tend to blow up into massive flame wars at the drop of a hat. Also, because these things tend to be juuuust slightly divisive by their very nature, the resulting needless arguments can drive wedges between friends. I understand the need for caution. I've even seen stuff like this erupt into tsunami of flame on GameFAQs of all places >_<

Besides, I've said it before and I'll say it again: CS is arguably the most civil board I've ever posted on. I'd like to see it stay that way ^_^ I know that nobody here WANTS to start a flamewar, it's just that political and religious-type threads seem to wind up on fire inevitably anyway.

"Don't weep for the stupid; you'll be crying all day!" - Fr. Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged
"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you any further." – anon
"The moment you trust a demon, they will stab you in the back. Of course, I'm no hypocrite. Anyone who trusts me will get knifed as well." – Klokinator, "The Cryopod to Hell"
Closed Thread