This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMV & License Plate Troubles

Putting this here for lack of knowledge of where to put this exactly. No real suckage on anybody's part, just ... stuff happened.

As my car's registration was expiring this month, it was time to renew. Except, with me now having a better job than retail hell, my folks decided it was time for me to legit own the car. (I may have been paying for gas, maintenance, all the fees, etc., but it was still in my parents' name.) So they signed the car title over to me and said to make sure I got insurance and to take it to the DMV to finalize the transfer.

I got the insurance thing taken care of, and take the day off from work on Wednesday so I can go to the DMV. I took the day because, being that the month ends next week, and the DMV is closed from Thursday through Saturday, I didn't know how busy it would get.

First Stop: DMV (9:30AM-ish)

So I get to the DMV, speak with the clerk about what I need to do. She tells me that, if my parents are gifting me the car, I need to get a sales tax exemption form notarized. As they don't have a notary at the DMV, this means I have to go to the bank. I take the form and go.

Second Stop: Bank (10AM-ish)

I get to the bank, meet with the notary. It's a relatively simple matter to get her to notarize the form after I sign it. I make sure the rest of the form is filled out, and go back to the DMV.

Third Stop: DMV (10:30AM-ish)

With the exemption form notarized and the car title filled out, I go through the line, and get called up to the window so I can get the car title transferred to me. Only hitch is that my car needs its emissions inspection done. As such, they can only register my car through the end of December. I get my plates and go to get the inspection done.

Fourth Stop: Gas Station (11:15AM-ish)

I get to the gas station, explain I need the emissions inspection done, and wait the requisite twenty minutes or so for the inspection to finish. Get the receipt and inspection report, and go back to the DMV again.

Fifth Stop: DMV (12PM-ish)

By now, the DMV is filling up. It takes a little longer than my first two trips to get called up to the window. But I pay the money to re-up my registration through next year, and while I'm there, get my driver's license renewed as well.

Sixth Stop: Home (1:30PM-ish)

Now that's all done, I go back home so I can replace the license plates. Get my dad's socket wrench, and go outside. The problem is, however, that the hex-head screws are metric, whereas my dad's wrench is US. None of the sockets fit the screws. So I head out to the hardware store.

Seventh Stop: Hardware Store A (2:15PM-ish)

I go to "Shears" Hadware, find a metric socket wrench set, and grab four metric hex-head screws to replace the old, rusted screws currently in there.

Eighth Stop: Home (2:40PM-ish)

The rear license plate comes off no problem and I'm able to put the new plate on there. The front plate, however, gave me troubles. I had it affixed by the two top holes, but one of the screws there would not come out. I worked at it, swore at it, but nothing I did could get it out. It came loose, but it was bent and stripped, so it came part-way out, and then kept sticking in mid-turn. So I left it hanging by the borked screw and headed out to find someone to remove it.

Ninth Stop: Oil Change (3:30PM-ish)

After a stop to refuel (both the car and myself), I go over to the "Lube of Jiff" to both get the oil changed (as I was overdue anyway) and ask them if they had some way of getting the screw out on that license plate. This took longer than I expected, as my serpentine belt had frayed through. (Although I gather this is a "common" "malady" at such places, I had my reasons for believing it that I won't get into here.) So I wait.

But when my car was brought out, it turned out that they'd misinterpreted my request regarding the license plate, or forgotten, because rather than remove the one screw holding that plate on, they'd stuck a new screw in to keep it on. I restated what I had asked, and so they grabbed a socket screwdriver and went to work trying to remove it. One man couldn't do it, so a second came over with a flat-head screwdriver to wedge the screw out of its hole so the other could turn it.

It didn't work. The guy suggested taking a hacksaw to it. As luck would have it, there was a hardware store nearby.

Tenth Stop: Hardware Store B (4:30PM-ish)

I go into "Bowes" Hardware in search of a small hacksaw. In my search, I find something else I did need (one of those "micro-touch" beard trimmer doohickeys) and take this and the small hacksaw I needed and buy them.

I go out to my car, get out my socket wrench... and find that the head on the screw that Lube of Jiff had put on was a smaller size than the one for the socket I had. The rest of my sockets were back at home.

Eleventh Stop: Home (5:15PM-ish)

I get the socket set, go outside and find the right-sized socket to use, and remove the offending screw (which I threw away). Then I set to work sawing through the borked screw. This takes me a little while, but finally I saw the damn thing off.

So I start to affix the new plate in place, intending to put screws in opposite corners (top left and bottom right)... except the top left hole is apparently stripped. The new screw won't stay in. So I shrug, affix the plate in place by the two bottom holes, then head back inside to put everything away.

In the end, it was good that I took the day to get it all done. Aggravating that it took so long, but it got done, and that was all well and good.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Not sure if it's always the case, but some tools do have measurements in both Imperial and Metric measurements.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
      Not sure if it's always the case, but some tools do have measurements in both Imperial and Metric measurements.
      Maybe so. Not in the case of my dad's tools.

Additional bit of aggravation I forgot to mention was during my first stop back home, when I explained to my dad that his socket wrench didn't work, was he suggested taking it over to Honda, because of the whole US-vs-Metric thing. I started saying I could just go buy some metric socket wrench heads-- while he's still trying to explain the whole metric thing, which I completely understood. Before long, my dad is raising his voice to try to talk over me (he's a lawyer, and hard of hearing, and stubborn, so I let it slide), until I finally ask him to stop and let me finish.

But yeah, maybe there are some socket wrench heads that are either-or, or sets that come with both US and metric, but we didn't have those.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Shoulda just taken it to the regular shop for the bolt problem. I had the same thing with an old car i had, they had a pneumatic cut off wheel. Full service shops will always have one of these, you use them for things like cutting the exhaust off or removing old crudded up bolts, Yiffy Lube has a minimum of tools.

Outside of that, i always tell people it could be worse, you could have to deal with the NJ DMV, half hour wait to get forms, half hour to drop them, 6 or so hours for them to process it.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Let me give you some advice. DO NOT take your vehicle to Iffy Lube. Yes I call it Iffy and for a very good reason. They are the 9th circle of hell in the auto industry. They do not hire qualified techs. They hire talking chimps for minimum wage. A job at Iffy Lube on a resume is an automatic disqualifier for anyone looking to get a job at a good shop. All the techs I know would rather live under a bridge and beg for change on the street corner than work at Iffy Lube.

Take your car to an independent that has good word-of-mouth reputation, build a first-name-basis "how's your momma and them" relationship with them, and go nowhere else. Not even for oil changes.
          Proud Oath Keeper and 3 Percenter!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            This took longer than I expected, as my serpentine belt had frayed through. (Although I gather this is a "common" "malady" at such places, I had my reasons for believing it that I won't get into here.)
            when I worked there we had just started offering that service, and were told to look for 6 cracks per inch as a sign that it needs replacement. according to what I've found online that is correct, it's a "common malady" as many people don't think about checking it or replacing it until it breaks(unless the manufacturer specifies different it should be replaced ever 30,000 to 60,000 miles)
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Just be glad your car doesn't use Whitworth tools - though if it did, you would probably have got a set long before now. Some classic British cars use them.

So in Britain, a really good car shop has to have *three* sets of tools. Imperial (inches across the flats), metric (mm across the flats), and Whitworth (inches aross the *points*).

Comment

On a sub-note: the car changes plates when it changes hands?

Comment

In the US it does.

Comment

Used to be common that you got new plates (and numbers) every year. Utah did that through 1972.

And a certain fingery state was famous for re-issuing SOS (Shoot On Sight) numbers to Lil Ol Retirees and then blowing them away.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post

Outside of that, i always tell people it could be worse, you could have to deal with the NJ DMV, half hour wait to get forms, half hour to drop them, 6 or so hours for them to process it.
                      Don't forget about the 6 points of ID, make sure you have the 6 and extra, just in case, and they decided you brought the wrong stuff.

Not that I have any experience with that.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yes. Because the registration (and thus, the plates) was in my parents' name. When the car title transferred to me, I had to register it under my name. New registration, new plates.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          Yes. Because the registration (and thus, the plates) was in my parents' name. When the car title transferred to me, I had to register it under my name. New registration, new plates.
                          Ah forgive me, I was slightly confused there. Plates here are linked with a car's VIN (the number on your engine) which is MEANT to help with car theft. So when you transfer a car over, both plates and car come with you.

Comment

SD law changed at the beginning of the year and now instead of the plates staying with the car upon sale/transfer, the plates now stay with the original registrant and can be transfered to another car as long as the tags are current.

You went to the DMV to transfer title and get new plates? The County Courthouse handles that stuff here.
                            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

In Florida you have to get new plates every 5 years if you have the regular kind...of course we probably have more specialty plates than any other state I've ever seen, and I don't think the people who pay extra for those have to change them. We also get stickers to put on the plates every year or two (we can pay for 2 years at a time now)...they contain the month and year of expiration, which is the owner's month of birth, and the car's VIN.
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X