X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When management stuff up and blame me

Hey guys, long time no chat

I work at a place that makes spas.

It's the Head Office for most spa companys, and we get very busy.
    I'm in charge of getting spas out of the warehouse, chasing up payments from customers, and making sure everything goes smoothly with the despatch side of things.

I've only worked there for 3 weeks. I'm still learning, but I think i'm doing a good job, considering I was very much thrown into the deep end without much training. I'm a smart cookie, i'm catching on quickly

Because i'm new, spas haven't been moving out of the warehouse as quickly as they should be. We are getting overstocked very quickly, to the point where they are having to store spas outside - a big no no, especially in bad weather.

So the pressure is on me to quicken the pace, and get more spas out to customers and display centers, to free up room in the warehouse for new spas they are making.

I was given some a customer's contract that said their spa is not needed until early 2008. This is way too long to keep their spa for, and I was told to tell them they have to cancel, and let us know when they want their spa closer to when they actually need it, and we will re-build it.

So I reluctantly call them, knowing they might be annoyed. And I was right.

"What do you mean we have to cancel?? We bought a spa from you people, it's fully paid for, what kind of business makes customers cancel? The salesperson said it was okay!"

I told them that the particular salesperson they dealt with often says things he shouldn't (which is true - but I probably shouldn't have said that) - that just made them angrier. I said we still want their business, but we just need their permission to sell their spa and we will re-build them another one closer to when they need it. I also told them it needs to be in writing, they need to send in a letter.

They were really angry, and said they will just cancel and not re-order from our company, as it was a ridiculous way to do business. The conversation ended with me saying I would get back to them after speaking to the manager again.

So I go over to see him. Now this guy reminds me of a hurricance. He comes into a room really stressed, makes alot of noise, stirs everyone up with tasks to do, and leaves looking even more flustered. He is forgetful, and lazy. He seems to think i'm his new personal assistant, but i'm so not, and i've told him that.

I tell him that I called the customer he told me to call, telling them to cancel, and that they weren't happy about it. He takes their file from me and reads it carefully. "It says on the contract they don't need it til 2008. It's a CONTRACT, you can't take it back, they can sue us," he says, looking at me dissaprovingly.

I'm quietly getting angry. "You TOLD me to call them and tell them to cancel and re-order later..."

"No you can't do that, not when it says on the contract. Call them back and apologise, we can't lose a sale like that."

I moved back towards the door. "No, you started this mess, you can clean it up. I wasn't going to call them in the first place, only reason I did is cause you told me to. I am so not calling them."

He just said "Ok, i'll deal with it."

What a moron. He creates stress and won't admit to it, or fix things when he stuffs up. I'm alot more assertive than I used to be, so i refuse to be a doormat.
    I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
    another time, this world would fade away
    To find true love, is like no other joy,
    our choice is here
    be happy for today

I suppose it's beside the point, but why the hell are they ordering the thing an entire year in advance?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

COMI!

*runs and gives hug*

We've missed you so!!!!!!!!!!!! I see from your pic that you're a member of the bodacious blonde club now too??
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I agree w/BSE on this one...

What the eff are they doing training their sales reps that it's ok to order that far out (not a question necessarily posed at you, but more towards your management)? More importantly, how are people ordering things for years in advance... if you want a spa, don't you want it, ya know, asap? Makes no freakin sense.

On a different note, kudos for sticking up for yourself, although I would be weary of saying "no I'm not doing XX" too often... you are still on a probationary period.
        I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
        "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          I suppose it's beside the point, but why the hell are they ordering the thing an entire year in advance?
          The only reason I can think of...is maybe their house renovations are taking a bit longer than expected...or haven't been started yet? Some home remodelings can take quite a while, especially if the cash isn't always there to pay for it. Even so, I wouldn't pay for something up-front with delivery a year later... That's just odd.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Seriously. Too much can go wrong in that one year; your order gets misplaced, they discontinue the model you ordered, they never bother to pull the order out and dust it off...

Too much left to chance for my taste.
            I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
            "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Comi, I can see taking the order and even taking the money a year in advance but knowing this why did manufactoring built it? How long does it take to build another one? If just a week or so, sell the one you have and don't tell them anything but to let you know a month in advance before it's needed. Sounds to me like a lot of things were messed up and you were needlessly caught in the middle.
              Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                COMI!

*runs and gives hug*

We've missed you so!!!!!!!!!!!! I see from your pic that you're a member of the bodacious blonde club now too??
                Aaaw, thanks darl, I missed you guys too *hugs*

Yea i'm a blonde, now my hair matches my personality

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                They are building a house apparently, and it won't be finished til next year. But I agree that it's a pretty dumb thing to do, alot can happen between now and then. And I wouldn't want a spa that's been sitting in a warehouse for AGES.

Quoth Tanasi View Post
                Comi, I can see taking the order and even taking the money a year in advance but knowing this why did manufactoring built it? How long does it take to build another one? If just a week or so, sell the one you have and don't tell them anything but to let you know a month in advance before it's needed. Sounds to me like a lot of things were messed up and you were needlessly caught in the middle.
                It takes 6-8 weeks to build a new spa. The customers bought it when it was on sale though, so I guess they figured they were saving money this way? Cause there has been a price increase, so if they waited til later, they would have paid more.
                Last edited by KuzcoLlama; 02-28-2007, 01:35 AM.
                our choice is here
                be happy for today

Comment

Quoth COMINATCHA
                  It takes 6-8 weeks to build a new spa. The customers bought it when it was on sale though, so I guess they figured they were saving money this way? Cause there has been a price increase, so if they waited til later, they would have paid more.
                  I don't suppose, by any stretch of chance, you can convince management to not make the same mistake again? To not take any more orders for a year in advance? Product to be delivered on completion, or you have to pay warehousing fees.

Comment

The problem is more with that particular saleperson really. He will say anything to close a sale, even that we will store the spa for however long they need us to. And that is not true, we are not a storage facility!
                    Management just seem to put up with it, but it's people like me who have to deal with problems that he causes for us. Grrrrr.
                    our choice is here
                    be happy for today

Comment

Quoth COMINATCHA View Post
                      The problem is more with that particular saleperson really. He will say anything to close a sale, even that we will store the spa for however long they need us to. And that is not true, we are not a storage facility!
                      Management just seem to put up with it, but it's people like me who have to deal with problems that he causes for us. Grrrrr.
                      Ah. One of those. Well, all you have to do is convince management that any special deals he offers to close the sale that will cost the company money need to come out of his commission.

No problem. Should be easy. Piece o' cake

Comment

Working...
                      X