This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with Depression

I hope it's ok for me to post about this. It's a very difficult thing for me to talk about, but it's reached the point where I really need to. I've struggled with depression since I was about 11: I was suicidal at 13 and 16.

And it's happening again. I've had bad depressive episodes over the years, but none of them have been this bad since high school. I was with some friends to play a tabletop RPG over the weekend; I wake up a good 5-6 hours before they do. I spent those 6 hours on Sunday alternating between trying to figure out an acceptable way to kill myself, and stifling shrieks of horror over the realization that I was actually thinking of that. My friends finally got up and we started playing the game, but I couldn't concentrate. I kept feeling like I was going to burst out screaming at any moment, but couldn't seem to just open my mouth and tell them what was wrong.

The last two days I've mostly just felt numb: I guess I blew some sort of emotional fuse the other day or something. Whatever it is, I'm not questioning it--I'd rather not feel anything at all than what I felt on Sunday. I'm struggling to finish my thoughts, and even walking across the room feels like it takes all of my energy.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I can't afford medication right now, and a lot of the problems are psychological: medication won't fix that. I really really don't want to go to a counselor; I don't have a good history with them, and I find this whole thing to be incredibly difficult to talk about. I can't afford therapy right now, anyway.

I guess I'm not looking for advice right now. Just...Needed to tell someone what was going on. The one thing that helped on Sunday, the one thing that kept me from running out into traffic or something equally dumb, was knowing the effect that that would have on my community (both online and IRL). I truly don't want to hurt anyone other than myself, and knowing that my actions *would* hurt others helped me keep a connection to sanity.

After a suicide, it seems like people always say, "Why didn't they tell anyone what they were going through?" Because it's hard. Because it feels like other people's suffering is more important. Because it feels shameful. Because it feels like something you should be able to deal with on your own. Because of a million reasons. I hope I actually publish this post. There are lots of voices in my head right now telling me not to, that it will be whiny, that other people here have suffered far worse than I have and complained much less. But as much as I'm afraid of being looked down on or rejected for this, I'm more afraid of slipping into the abyss without a word. So here we go.

Everything hurts, and I don't know how to make any of it better. But I'm glad I know all of you, and I don't want to leave.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

For what it's worth, I feel your pain and applaud you for having the courage to publish this post. I don't post often but I do read the forums daily and always enjoy reading your stories. Beyond that all I can say is .

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
      Because it feels like other people's suffering is more important.
      This is me. Even now, with all the whining I do sometimes about my own problems from one mini-crisis to another, it's very very hard for me to talk about my problems because I've always felt like everyone else's problems are more important than my own. I feel like it's inconsiderate and selfish of me to put myself first.

Your suffering does matter, Joi, and I'm glad you were able to post this and let us know. I don't know what I can do to help, other than offer my shoulder to cry on. But I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way, and if you need to talk, you know how to find me (here, chat, FB, and my # is in my FB info).

I know what it's like to stare into that abyss. I know what it's like to want to lose yourself in it, to want to let it consume you. And I know what it's like to look back and be so glad I didn't let that happen to myself, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let it happen to the people I care about.

*hugs*
      "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

*hugs* I just want to say that I would miss you a lot so you can't go anywhere. Who would I follow on Twitter for silly things. Yes I am following you and loved the stuff you posted during the NASA tweetup.

I can give you a shoulder to cry on and am here to listen.
        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I totally understand where you are too. I've been in similar places before. Please try to find someone to help and remember that you do matter to us all here. I just want to grab everyone right now and hug them. Not only would it make them feel better, but it might help me too. <3

Comment

Joi, I'm not going to offer advice. You've stated you don't want it, so I'm not going to offer it. Should you change your mind, though, ask away. You'll find tons more advice than you know what to do with

I will say this: I'm glad to know you, and to have you here. Please don't go. We'd be much worse off without you.

Stay around. Please.

Comment

After a suicide, it seems like people always say, "Why didn't they tell anyone what they were going through?" Because it's hard. Because it feels like other people's suffering is more important. Because it feels shameful. Because it feels like something you should be able to deal with on your own. Because of a million reasons. I hope I actually publish this post. There are lots of voices in my head right now telling me not to, that it will be whiny, that other people here have suffered far worse than I have and complained much less. But as much as I'm afraid of being looked down on or rejected for this, I'm more afraid of slipping into the abyss without a word. So here we go.

Everything hurts, and I don't know how to make any of it better. But I'm glad I know all of you, and I don't want to leave.

Just wanted to say that you're not alone, in more ways than one.
              Struggled with this for a LONG time, the best thing to do is talk about it like you are and know that there's others who have gone through the same feelings.
              Luck to you, and a pint raised to getting past it.

Comment

Your feelings are just as valid as someone else's. Don't let anyone, especially you, tell you that they aren't.
                I hope this episode passes quickly.
                I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Hang in there, Joi. I really like you and I don't want you to leave either.
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I hope it's ok for me to post about this. It's a very difficult thing for me to talk about, but it's reached the point where I really need to. I've struggled with depression since I was about 11: I was suicidal at 13 and 16.

But I'm glad I know all of you, and I don't want to leave.
                    Joi, of COURSE it's OK to post about this stuff here! :hugs:

You have probably realised one of the most important things though: that even when depressed, you still have support out there and you still have people who love you. Hang in there!
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Just because other people *may* be suffering more, doesn't mean your pain isn't valid. It doesn't mean you shouldn't reach out to the ones you love for help. They want to help, we want to help. That's part of what love is. Wanting to be there for the people you love.

That being said, as soon as I hit post I'm sending you a PM with my contact info. Feel free to call anytime. I know what it's like to be alone in the middle of the night, just desperately wanting to hear another human voice. I'll pick up.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Joie, you CAN'T go now! You have to be here with the new Mars explorer starts sending info back! Come on, you don't wanna miss that. Please. We need you, us, all these goofy, mixed-up, lovable, nutty, awesome people in this forum. WE NEED YOU TO BE HERE!

And don't ever feel that you can't or shouldn't post your feelings and thoughts here. That's what we're here for.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You're certainly not the only one around here dealing with these things. There have been several posts lately with variations on the theme. I've dealt with depression myself for a long time, though not as severe as some others have. I can't say I've ever truly been suicidal but I have had thoughts that scare me, and I don't really know how to talk about it, either. I do find it's much easier to do it semi-anonymously in a forum post (though I don't think I've ever posted my own thread on the subject) than face-to-face with someone in real life. But just knowing there's lots of people around here that can relate and are more than ready to offer advice or just a shoulder is comforting.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Hugs and kitty snuggles (or whatever snuggles you prefer). You know we're a family here, and you are not alone.

Stay with us.
                            "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                            "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Please stay, Joi. You are valued. I can relate, believe me...but knowing that others really do care is SO helpful. Take GOOD care of yourself.
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X