Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how yo take care of baby fish?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how yo take care of baby fish?

Today, Moe has babies and I had to scoop 20 or so fry out of my 55 gallon tank. I'm getting gourami soon and I fear they will eat the rice sized fry. I wasn't quite sure what to do with them, so I plopped the mob into my 1gal beta tank and put some fake plants, gravel and ground up fish food for them to graze on. The water stabalized at 68F and I can't stick a heater in there as it's a plastic tank. Will they be ok with that temperature? I do have a small-ish filter but I'm worried it will suck them up or whip them around in the current. I'm thinkin they won't make it, but I'd like to give them a chance.

They are all literally this |---| big and look like little black eyelashes with eyes. They are Gant Danio fry.
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

The tank setup is fine. to feed them take some of the adult food and grind it to a very fine powder and feed very sparingly. What will kill them most is over feeding. Also take a hard boiled egg and mix a little of the yoke with water and feed that to them. can you float the small tank in the larger take for temp control? put some nylon stocking over the intake for the filter, also turn the flow as low as it will go, they should be fine I have raised both live bearing and egg laying fry, it is fun to watch them grow.

sorry for the rambling post, a couple of glasses of wine and bedtime. let me know if you need more specifics
    Last edited by pitmonkey; 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM.
    "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Agreed about finding a way to put the smaller tank in the larger for temp control. Even thoroughly clean* and cut up a soda bottle or something (pref one that just had water in it - like soda water), so that it can stand on the bottom of the larger tank with its top above the waterline (so that extra food can't get in, and the babies can't get out).

* NOT with soaps or detergents. But if you've been caring for a fishtank, you'll know that.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I remember with our aquarium growing up we used to have a little mesh cage for baby fish. It hung just inside the tank and kept the babies separate from the rest of the fish.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

You can buy 'net breeders'. They're fine mesh boxes that hook onto the edge of your main tank and the babies go inside til they're big enough.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
          X