This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my jobs!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....I work for some cool-ass motherfucking people.

The toy store is cool in general (one of the coolest I've ever been in), but today, after I left, I stopped into a local pizza joint for a slice and a beer. The owner of the toy store happened to be there, and paid for both the pizza and the beer. Cool dude! This is the same guy that has a live kinkajou roaming around the toy store. (Yes, seriously.)

And then there's The Bar. It's a bit of a pain, I'll admit, but I am basically the guy entrusted with updating our Book O Rum. Which is not merely a list of the 160+ rums we have, but also descriptions of each, as well as detailed explanations of both the history of rum and the processes necessary to distill it. Also, I am the "rum guy" there, which not only means that other staff will occasionally send me to talk to their guests who are asking about rum (most of the staff knows a bit about rum, but when guests start asking questions beyond most of their knowledge, they call me in), it also means that when liquor vendors come in selling rum, the boss tells them to talk to me first (as in have me taste it), and then and only then will they talk price.

Now this latest: my bar manager asked me to put together a beer-tasting panel. They want to bring in some new beers (we already do many craft beers, and have eighteen beers on draft), and they want me to get some beer lovers together to blindly taste various beers that the beer reps will bring in, so we can decide which ones to add. Bar Manager only wants one employee (me) on the panel, so it is up to me to bring in four others (he wants five people). So I texted six of my beer-drinking friends and colleagues, figuring that scheduling will make it impossible for everyone to attend, and everyone seems thrilled at the prospect. Now it's just up to the bar manager to schedule the event so that I can, as part of my job, drink with friends who are like-minded when it comes to good beer, and sample several different and (hopefully) good beers.

Should be interesting!

Did I mention that I love my jobs?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

If I liked beer, that would be awesome. Since you do like beer, it is complete awesomeness for you!
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I have to say, that's pretty awesome. Though I don't like beer I can say if you DO like beer, and I can see you do, this would be great!

Comment

Actually, the cool part is not just that I am to be included on the beer-tasting panel. Apparently, that was a given. When my bar manager first mentioned to me that he wanted to put together said panel, I not-so-subtly pointed to myself as someone who would hopefully be included. His response to my blatant self-promotion? "Well, DUH."

The cool part, though, is that he is trusting me to put together the panel myself. As in, they trust me not just to gather beer lovers, but beer lovers that can be somewhat impartial and judge the beer on its merits, rather than just saying, "HOT DAMN! FREE BEER!" I mean, myself, I know I will exclude myself from any discussions about any IPAs we are offered, as I basically don't care for them. But of course I will take into account the opinions on such IPAs of others on the panel. Though I imagine my bar manager will actually be there, so he will be able to evaluate our opinions himself.

Still, it's nice to be given this much trust, leeway, etc.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Sounds completely awesome Can't wait to hear the results!
          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

So does this mean you'll have an Altar of Beer as well as an Altar of Rum?
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              The toy store is cool in general (one of the coolest I've ever been in), but today, after I left, I stopped into a local pizza joint for a slice and a beer. The owner of the toy store happened to be there, and paid for both the pizza and the beer. Cool dude! This is the same guy that has a live kinkajou roaming around the toy store. (Yes, seriously.)
              *checks map* Too far away for me to apply for a job there. All the other places I'm trying to get a job at suddenly seem lame cause there is no Kinkajoo roaming around.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                So does this mean you'll have an Altar of Beer as well as an Altar of Rum?
                Nope. Just means we'll be adding a few new beers, while we are discontinuing some other beers that don't sell that well. We will still not nearly have the variety in beer that we have in rum. Ever.

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                All the other places I'm trying to get a job at suddenly seem lame cause there is no Kinkajoo roaming around.
                Well, DUH!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, I think this song is relevant to you right now:

"Rum" by Alestorm
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Brilliant freakin' song!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Well, DUH!
                      Well, I know now I must find this pet store the next time I try to go down there with The ridiculously good looking group of pilot boys ©. I will make sure to find Uncle Jester and say hello, if I do.
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

What pet store? I do not and have never worked in a pet store.

I think you misunderstood. I do magic in the magic shop portion of a killer TOY store, that happens to have a resident kinkajou that belongs to the owner and roams around the TOY store from time to time.

But by all means, if you come to Key West, come say hi, either there, or at my bar, or at one of the bars you're like to find me drinking in many nights.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          What pet store? I do not and have never worked in a pet store.

I think you misunderstood. I do magic in the magic shop portion of a killer TOY store, that happens to have a resident kinkajou that belongs to the owner and roams around the TOY store from time to time.

But by all means, if you come to Key West, come say hi, either there, or at my bar, or at one of the bars you're like to find me drinking in many nights.
                          Yea that, I meant that, I was overcome by cute and fluffy.

Edit: It just hit me why I said pet store, I just spent my day applying to pet stores. The brain has not switched off from filling out apps. Poor brain.
                          Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 12-13-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X