Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No free food please just check your cooks.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No free food please just check your cooks.

So me and my parents all went out to outback a few days ago. We all had exactly the same thing steak, salad, and baked potatoe and a blooming onion. Well the next day we were sicker then crap.
    We all had severe dirrhea and horrible stomach cramps, we all three stayed home from work, and it lasted for probadly 3 days. My dad contacted the manager and ever since then its been nothing but headaches. The manager has had my dad repeat his version of the story at least 10 times trying to see if my dads story changes. My dad told him that we don't want free food, atually we probadly won't eat there for a long time after this. We just want him to watch his chefs a little better, maybe they are doing something wrong.
    The manager called back tonight and wants my dad to tell him his version of the story again. WTF!!! Dad says he is done, he just wants to call the health department. I should add that the manager mouthed off and said well we sold at least 60 steaks that night and no one else got sick.. What is even funnier is we are selling moms car and we had a guy come look at it and when he got here, he asked to use our restroom.
    He later told us he ate at outback on the same day we did and hes been sick ever since, with the same symptoms. Its so scary to go out to eat anymore.
    Last edited by candyshopgirl; 12-13-2011, 03:17 AM.

Uh, yeah, a health-department call should be made.

Personally I don't know what is causing the sickness but doesn't sound like Salmonella, which usually only lasts about 24 hours, 48 in some cases. Three days is more likely a Rotavirus, but could be e. coli too.

Cheffffffy likely either didn't wash hands properly after the restroom, or cross-contaminated something after handling raw meat. Or could be both. Either way, yuck!

Good site to see if you can pinpoint what you may have: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/food_...g/page3_em.htm

IF you can get the phone number of the guy that looked at your mom's car, the health department would probably want to speak with him. Reason being is that if there are a certain number of reported cases, they actually have to shut the restaurant down and investigate and do lab tests, etc. Sometimes they will pull the reservation list and start dialing numbers. At least here in Minnesota they do, as I am not sure where you are.

Don't worry too much about going out to eat. Most places adhere to strict guidelines, though there are those like you experienced.
    "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Second what Fuzzy said. Bummer. I love Outback (don't go there often though). That manager is a jerk! I kind of understand why he wants to verify the story and everything, since people these days will make up stuff like that to get free food and such. However, he's going way too far, especially since your dad even said he doesn't want compensation. What a douche.

Comment

It could also have been the waiter causing contamination, but yeah, call the health department.

Comment

Sounds like the manager is one of those types who can't handle criticism and hates to be told when the food is bad. I see 'em all the time on Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant Impossible.

Also:

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
          and said well we sold at least 60 steaks that night and no one else got sick..
          I will never understand why the 'But they said' excuse is always used. I mean, what do they want you to say? "Oh! Well, if Schmedlap ate here and was just fine afterward, then I must have just imagined the near-crippling pain and the inability to leave the toilet! Sorry to have troubled you."
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
            It could also have been the waiter causing contamination, but yeah, call the health department.
            It could also be a batch of contaminated ingrediants. Even if everyone's doing what they should, you're still screwed if something got by the supplier.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth candyshopgirl View Post
              I should add that the manager mouthed off and said well we sold at least 60 steaks that night and no one else got sick.
              well speaking from the food safety side of things, I would love to know why everyone always jumps to the "meat" conclusion. It's far more likely that the bacterial contamination came from the salad, looking at it from an HACCP standpoint. Many restaurants prepare the salads in whole or in part well before they are served, and some don't keep them in a properly cooled environment(should be kept at 41F) thus leading to rapid bacteria growth, and since salad isn't cooked before serving......

and yes, call the health department, all restaurants MUST have a HACCP plan on file, with SOPs on food handling, AND how to handle a complaint of food borne illness-harassing the person making the report is NOT a viable option.
              The health department can fine them for simply not following their plan, even if the contaminated food is long gone.
              Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                well speaking from the food safety side of things, I would love to know why everyone always jumps to the "meat" conclusion. It's far more likely that the bacterial contamination came from the salad, looking at it from an HACCP standpoint. Many restaurants prepare the salads in whole or in part well before they are served, and some don't keep them in a properly cooled environment(should be kept at 41F) thus leading to rapid bacteria growth, and since salad isn't cooked before serving......

and yes, call the health department, all restaurants MUST have a HACCP plan on file, with SOPs on food handling, AND how to handle a complaint of food borne illness-harassing the person making the report is NOT a viable option.
                The health department can fine them for simply not following their plan, even if the contaminated food is long gone.
                This is exactly what I was thinking. Remember, we've had quite a few bouts of food poisoning in this country that came from contaminated veggies, lettuce in at least two of the break-outs that I heard about.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                X