This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A number that doesn't exist?

Today, Mr. Mis answered the phone and got the ringing that happens when one calls another person. He hung up the phone, since we don't go for that kind of nonsense.

I looked the phone number up, it was 1-800-257-3162. Google came up with the number doesn't exist and am I sure I put the right number in? I double check, yes that is the number that called us.

I am now curious as to what kind of scam it is. Anyone know?
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

I think your Google is broken

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/8002573162
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-257-3162

800notes is my friend

Comment

Thank you for the help. My google must have been broken that day. We don't owe anyone any money, so I don't know why they are calling us.

Comment

Probably begging for donations.

Also, just because the Caller ID gives you a number doesn't mean that number is who's calling you, or even that it necessarily exists. I get non-existent numbers all the time. For example, I get calls from 718-958-xxxx. Now I happen to know that there IS NO number in area code 718, or anywhere else in ex-NYNEX/Bell Atlantic territory, that begins with 958; that's a reserved code, not an exchange. (Dial it and see what happens...) What's happening there is that someone is calling from a WATS line or a voice-over-IP line, which does not have any caller-ID associated with it, and instead of letting it go out as UNKNOWN, it will send whatever bogus number you load it with.

Somehow my number has gotten out in the telecharity community as "soft touch", so the phone rings three or four times daily with beggars asking for donations for this or that. I've simply stopped answering them if I don't recognise the CID; the machine picks up, they hang up three seconds into my message, and I mutter "Guess it wasn't all that important after all."

(What's worse is that these outfits have their predictive dialers set for way too many operators, which means that most of the time even if you do answer the damn thing, you have to say "Hello? Hello?" for about ten seconds, before either you finally get an operator or (more often) it just dumps your call because there's just not enough personnel at the other end to take it. Hey, higher numbers are always better than lower numbers, right? Why shouldn't they tell the software that they've got 999 operators when there are maybe eight people on duty? So what if that means they piss off 991 other people per hour? It's the same mentality as spammers have, and they don't even realize it.)
          Last edited by Dave1982; 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

They may be looking for someone who used to work there to collect from them.

Comment

emt_cookies, we have had our number for 7 years, but that doesn't stop bill collectors from calling for the woman who use to have our number and basically calling me a liar for saying there is no one here by that name. The calls had dropped off for awhile there, so you are probably right that the collection agency is looking for her again.

Comment

Working...
              X