Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable > Tech help

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Assistant Manager

Yep I checked the windows score thing, they were all the same except for the processor. Been updating drivers too. CPU doesn't seem to be too overloaded either. Who knows...maybe I just got a lemon.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Area Manager

I highly doubt it, but is the e-machines using an SSD (Solid State Drive)? Those will help a machine really fly.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Computer Wizard

An SSD would show up on the WEI score too. A mechanical disk will show a maximum score of 5.9, while most SSDs will be 7+.

Worth asking what anti-virus is in use. Some antivirus systems (especially the ones commonly bundled with a machine) are much less efficient than, say, Avast.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Assistant Manager

I got malwarebytes onboard. Only did one scan though and that was a few days ago. And with the extensive downloading I'm doing to get all my stuff on this machine i suppose i could've caught something.

I dunno if this is a good thing but typically when i get a new computer the first thing I do is remove all the extraneous crap that comes with it. I want my OS, a word processor, don't want your crappy browser or your SuperAwesomeExtreme Toolbar that comes free!!!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Cashier

Cool

MBAM is NOT a virus checker! It checks for spy/mal/crapware.

If you haven't installed a true virus checker, and you're not getting MS Security warnings, then most likely Win7 has defaulted you to using MS Security Essentials. Which, surprisingly, does a pretty good job and uses few resources (compared to McAfee or Norton).

If you had Norton/Symantec, then be sure to also download and run the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) to make sure you get everything out of there. Yes, Norton is so badly written that you need an extra tool to uninstall it.

For free AV programs, my favorite is Avira. It has always placed in the top 5 among ALL checkers, and recently took top honors from a Brazilian 'zine for finding foreign (non-English) viruses. Since the majority of nasties seem to be coming out of .ru, .ch, .tw, etc., this is an important factor to consider.

Also, after you've got everything set up, software-wise, the way you like it, download and install "CCleaner" (the first "C" stands for "Crap"). This will clean out your registry, get rid of temp files and buffers, and just get rid of the... crap... that accumulates. You only need to run this about once or twice a year, as Win7 does a pretty good job of keeping things tidy.

You can also use the tried-and-true "msconfig" to check to see what's running at startup. On Win95-XP, click "Start --> Run... --> {type}msconfig {enter}". On Vista/W7, "Start --> Search --> {type}msconfig {enter}". Once launched, the tabs you want to look at are "Startup" and "Services". Under Startup, you'll see a list of all the programs and utils that load up. Uncheck those you don't want - if it's something you need, then go back and re-check it. Then click on Services, check the box below labeled "Hide all Microsoft Services" (as those are usually needed), and you can Google any entries to see what they are/do. Disable those you don't need, and restart.

Hardware-wise, you may want to poke around in your BIOS and see how much memory you can re-assign to your video. The memory is pooled (shared) with main system RAM, so if the current setting is 256M, then you have 3.75GB left over for the system. If you're able to bump this up to 512M, then you're left with 3.5GB for the OS. Still a pretty good size to run things.

If you seem to be having problems with games, look at your DirectX (NOT ActiveX) settings/updates, and check for sound card driver updates. Most folks don't think that the sound would affect the video, but when running games, it can slow down things to where you think the problem is video, when it's actually the audio handling causing the video to "hiccup" (I ran into this very problem way back in the Win98 days with Nascar and a Soundblaster card.)

If you're not searching for files on your hard drive all the time, then turn OFF "indexing". Go to "Computer", right-click on the hard drive, select "Properties", and at the bottom of the window, you should see a check-box that says "Allow this drive to be Indexed for faster searching". Uncheck it, and you're good to go. Note that this does not deactivate searching, it only makes it take longer to actually search for files, since it doesn't have a pre-built index to work from (to build this index, it scans the drive while you're doing other things, and you'll notice that just sitting there twiddling your thumbs will have the drive periodically hammer away for a few minutes). The less work your hard drive is doing when indexing is more work it can do to run games/work.

Finally (at last!), if you need a good word processing program, I can recommend two good ones: Libre Office, an offshoot of OpenOffice.org (now owned by Oracle), and AbiWord. Libre is an entire suite, like MS Office, but it allows you to install just those components you're actually going to use. If you're not going to be using formulas, then skip the math/latex component. Also, it imports and exports to MS Office formats fairly well (some things are still a work in progress, as MS has been perpetual poopie-heads about making things compatible). Conversely, if all you need is a good word processor, then AbiWord fits the bill. It was one of the first to have bi-directional (Arabic, Hebrew) typing on the same page. It's small, full-featured, and awesome.

barcode

Old 12-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Trainee

Try running msconfig and check under services if Windows event logging is running and disable that.
That's a framerate killer in most games. And seems to be enabled on some machines.
Since windows treats every long keypress as an event it tends to slow down games to the point of being unplayable.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Front End Supervisor

I second the recommendation about checking your AV. Most store bought PCs I've looked at for friends usually come with a trial version of Norton/Mcaffee or similar pre-installed. If there's one running fully in the background it can really suck up resources once you start working on stuff.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Hardware-wise, you may want to poke around in your BIOS and see how much memory you can re-assign to your video. The memory is pooled (shared) with main system RAM, so if the current setting is 256M, then you have 3.75GB left over for the system. If you're able to bump this up to 512M, then you're left with 3.5GB for the OS. Still a pretty good size to run things
This is an area I run into some problems - when I check my bios, I rarely have any of the options that I'm supposed to see. I tried to do what you said, but the option for the video is grayed out. Sometimes the option I want isn't even listed at all.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Cashier

Cool

Quote:
smokingplane
Try running msconfig and check under services if Windows event logging is running and disable that. That's a framerate killer in most games.
Huh. I learn something new everyday. Thanks, sp, I'll keep that in mind next gaming complaint I see...
Quote:
DrFaroohk
I tried to do what you said, but the option for the video is grayed out.
Double-Huh. Are you sure this is on-board video? A dedicated video card will have it's own memory, and all RAM is then made available to the system when the BIOS "sees" a PCI, PCI-x, PCI-e, or AGP card installed and it disables the on-board.

barcode
Sorry for the delay, I was scraping viruses off HDs...
Closed Thread