This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soul Food

I just want to share this. We had a retirement party at our church yesterday and one of the members, T, (who is an unbelievable cook from a family of same) came in and cooked this soul food feast for us. His family does not come to our church. They volunteered because they are awesome.

He said, "I love these people, please help me take care of them." And they did. there was love in that food. You could taste it.

I went in the kitchen and said to them, "For you all to take care of us like this is huge. Thank you." and they just said "Y'all take care of T for us, so we should be thanking you."

It just made my heart feel full and I wanted to share it.

Soul food indeed.

What a great story, and I'm sure what a great feast!
    Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Super noms at church? What all was there? (just bein' nosy today)
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

We want details on the food! Sounds awesome. (I recently discovered the amazingness that is collard greens, though I doubt I will ever really get a taste for grits....)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Slow cooked country ribs T had cooked all night on a grill, one batch with spice rub, one with ghetto sauce. Ham. Mac and Cheese. Green beans (the best I'd ever eaten.) Some kind of fluffy corn dish that as slightly sweet...also incredible. Spicy chicken I think that as cooked with the ribs. Summer squash, onion, and tomato medley. Spiced potato salad. Dirty rice. That's just what I'm remembering.

It ain't fancy food, mind. It's the way it was cooked. Not something you can get just anywhere.

Comment

I think food can be a way of expressing love, sure. If I didn't love my family I wouldn't spend precious time whipping up decently healthy, yummy food for them every night, I'd just order pizza all the time!

Although to be honest I would cook for someone else's church just because I love to cook and never get a chance to cook for a crowd, so in my case it would be selfish reasons. If any CS'ers are ever in the Cincinnati area, come over and I'll cook for you.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              It ain't fancy food, mind. It's the way it was cooked. Not something you can get just anywhere.
              The best kind of food isn't fancy, I think. As long as it tastes good, who cares that it's not arranged prettily on the plate?
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Oh, man. Listen, we like to cook and we like to eat over here. Me and some of my friends that cook even do a "supper club" sort of rotating hosting thing where we show off our best dishes. So the bar is set pretty high as far as what I'd call unforgettable food. I'm a good cook myself, and I can't even touch this level.

Each person who helped made their absolute best dish...the one they are known in the family for. So every dish was some amazing cook's special dish.

But it wasn't even that so much as the love and care that went into it all. These people hardly know us, and yet they gave this gift to us. It as really moving.

Comment

Oh, I can believe it, food spiced with love and care > good restaurant food.
                  My cookies are pretty plain, but good quality ingredients and WORK and care, make 'em pretty damn good. I normally send cookies and fudge out this time of year, and it's always enjoyed and loved.
                  I'm no gourmet cook, but it's with care.
                  But *whistle* there's no way I could even touch that complicated cookin stuff. Shiiiit, I can't do gumbo LOL.
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Love is the best sauce there is.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      Food doesn't have to be fancy to be good. I have had great food that was simple and not fancy, and fancy food arranged beautifully on the plate that, frankly, wasn't all that good.

No one's going to mistake my chili for anything fancy, for instance. But people love it. And the best compliment I ever got paid for it wasn't any time that I placed high in a chili cookoff, but when a couple of friends of mine didn't even ask, but demanded that I make my chili for their going away party. And then, to get to the party, where I figured several other people had made food, only to find out that my chili was the only food there....that was both humbling and gratifying.

And the other great compliment I get is that, no matter how much I make of it, the pot is pretty much always emptied.

And damn it, you've got my mouth watering with your descriptions of all that wonderful soul food. Because I know that as much effort and love as I put into my chili, these people were putting into their dishes. And now I'm HUNGRY!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                      X