This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift help, please

Some of you are good at this. Yes, I am finishing tomorrow. I've been busy. It's for my dad, who won't be critical at all, but I do want to get something he'll like. Here are his stats: He's 71. He likes to make spaghetti. He likes golf, but doesn't get to play much anymore. He's diabetic, so sweets are out. He generally goes to the gym every day. (I have no idea what he actually does there--treadmill, maybe?) He's a househusband; he does most of the cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, etc. He likes wine occasionally and drinks coffee every day. I thought about a french press, but he may not be receptive; he's been making drip coffee for 50 years. Please--any ideas?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Does he like cooking, or is it just something he does because it's his job?

If he likes cooking, you might get him a useful kitchen gadget. I'd been griping about my oven mitts, so my BFs parents got me a nice new set. They were going to get me a microplane, but I bought one for myself.

As for the french press, while I normally drink drip coffee, I have a french press for when I want special coffee. Mind you, I haven't been drinking coffee for a quarter as long as your dad, but I really like my french press.

ETA: Does he make spaghetti from scratch? If he doesn't, but it sounds interesting to him, you could get him a pasta...cutter...thingy
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

He does do the cooking out of obligation, but he likes it, too. Maybe a really nice bottle of olive oil, an unusual pasta, tomato paste from Italy?

Comment

If you have a World Market near you, they have some fabulous olive oils. It's too bad you didn't ask sooner, I could've sent you a coupon. I snatched 3L of olive oil for just under $6.

Another thing you might like to do, is roast some garlic heads, and put them in a nice bottle of oil. Sort of a homemade garlic oil he can use in his cooking. He just won't be able to use it for a few days, but it will mature as it sits and the depth of flavor is PHENOMENAL

Comment

An olive oil set would be nice. I like that idea There's lots of different flavored ones out there (we even got a couple this year as presents). If you have an Italian store near you, you can find special pastas (ex squid ink) or just a different cut of pasta that he doesn't or hasn't used before. There's even tomato paste in a tube that he might get a kick out of (assuming he doesnt already use them). Put them in a basket or bowl or even a large pasta bowl, wrap in transparent paper and you've got a nice gift.

Also, being diabetic doesn't rule out all sweets. I got my mom a bunch of no sugar added chocolates for Xmas, but she doesn't know that yet lol. There's boxed, wrapped and bars.

If he likes flavored coffee, maybe some small packages of different kinds? Same thing as above, wrap up together and you're set.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
            If he likes flavored coffee, maybe some small packages of different kinds? Same thing as above, wrap up together and you're set.
            Or just some nice coffee. I'd be happy to link you to my favorite coffee.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Thanks, you guys! Oi, it's 1:30 am 'cause I just got to decorating my tree. I was in World Market after work; should've gotten the stuff then. I guess I have to brave the crowds.

Comment

If he LIKES candy, you can get him sugar-free candies. I get them for my grandmother at X-mas, and they have a variety at the Dollar Tree stores (Wal-Mart or your local grocery probably have some as well).

What does he like to do on his down time? Is he a reader, does he do word puzzles, or jigsaw puzzles? Does he like to play games (computer, board, card, etc.)

Or you might like to get him a DVD of an older movie (with John Wayne or Steve McQueen maybe) or TV show (lots from the 50s to the 90s have been released).

Hope this helps

SC
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Working...
                X