This guy managed to do EVERYTHING wrong. I don't understand how you can get away with treating a customer like this. He has to have incriminating photos of someone higher up in the hierarchy if he's kept his job for that long.
- Bartending is not only about serving drinks. It's about creating an enviroment in which guests can relax and feel at ease. Some people prefer to relax by drinking beer by the keg and an getting into headbutting contests with walls, others want delicate cocktails and piano music, but a good bartender should be a part of the bar's ambience. This clown fails. No matter where. Guest is not at ease, hence, he fails.
- I don't encourage customers to drink alcohol (illegal here, Sweden's ludicrously strict laws concerning alcohol sales), but the only valid reasons for denying someone alcohol is if they already are well and truly drunk, or are such obnoxious gits they're becoming a case for managers, bouncers and/or police.
- You chat with customers IF AND ONLY IF they indicate they want to chat and you have the time.
- Repeat business brings in money. Money makes boss happy. Happy boss is good boss. Denying customers service for no good reason, threatening customers, shirking your duties and making an ass of yourself is not conducive to repeat business.
- Laws vary, but in my jurisdiction, causing someone to, against their will, ingest any intoxicating agent, by force or deception is considered aggravated assault, and carries a mandatory minimum sentence of six years. If he was serious about threatening to spike your drink he'd be looking at jailtime over here.
I take a great deal of pride in being a bartender. I don't know whether I want to cry or hurl. I wouldn't trust this asshat to bag my groceries, much less mix me a drink.
tl;dr: WHAT AN ASSHAT!