Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I will admit, I didn't think of that. But I also suspect, while it could be a very good explanation...that its also not the case. For starters, I didn't think special schools frequently imposed posh school uniforms...it was very smart and cute, but being as some kids with autism have issues with certain clothing/footwear/touches etc, surely imposing a blanket uniform code on such kids would not be a clever idea? And also...I agree with RealUnimportant...even though we don't sell the balloons, I also think there is something rather, well, rude actually, about asking for a freebie to get your kid to stop throwing a tantrum, special-needs or not.

I mean, what would have happened if I had said no? What if I knew full well it belonged to another little boy or girl and I knew for certain he or she would be back to get it, or like I said with the previous hypothetical, what if it had been MINE? I mean, ok, me having a balloon at work is not likely, so howabout this. What if I had one of my cute character keyrings dangling off my belt or out of my pocket etc, and the kid wanted that, and then the parents had the nerve to ask me if I could give them something that belonged to me, to their child who I don't know from Adam? I mean, I may not hate kids, but it doesn't mean I'm just going to GIVE them stuff.

Regardless of the situation, surely the parents need to teach their kid, sometimes you can't have everything you see/want? But then again, I think we need to be fair here...it is possible that the kid has problems, and being the parent of a special needs kid doesn't automatically make you a non-sucky parent ^^;;

Comment

Quoth cybiko123 View Post
      What about adults who act like spoiled brats?
      That too. Those are the kinds that need to get knocked upside the head for acting like a spoiled immature little shit.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

If I was his father, he wouldn't have gotten the damn balloon at all unless he asked ME nicely and then to ask the cashier in that same tone, and then to actually THANK that cashier.

I can thank my dad for raising me to believe this. We were a military family and throwing fits to get what we want was something that was generally nonexistent from my siblings while growing up. He only took the best-behaved kids shopping anyway. The one acting like a brat would stay home and do chores or be "restricted" to his/her room and because you just can't leave kids home alone anymore, one of us older siblings would stay home to watch the younger ones and my dad would buy one of us something from the store as a reward for doing so.

These days, I just can't see myself raising the next generation of kids in America, since denying them something they want is now considered "child abuse" in most states.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
          What you described very well could be a child with developmental delay problems. Lack of speech/language is the most common symptom. Usually those go hand-in-hand with emotional development problems as well. If that is so, the parents do not seem to as yet have a firm grasp of the situation and what they need to do for the boy - although they are behaving like many parents who are new to such a situation.
          Perhaps, but it's been my experience that most parents of children like that are quick to explain that situation if for no other reason than to explain that they're not the horrible type of parent that spoils their child.

That it's to calm down a developmentally/emotionally disabled child before they go into a screaming wobbler.

It's still a possibility, as you say this could be something new to the parents. But frankly I'm betting against it. I see far too many parents doing this sort of thing with their children both on this site and in real life, to believe that *all* these children are similarly disabled.
          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Honestly, the "wordless squinnying and baby noises" in addition to the tantrum makes me think more spoiled brat than developmental issues. Chances are, the mother goes on about how cute the noises are and so reinforces the child's behavior. Then add in the "throw a fit and get what you want" mentality that they are training him for.

I've seen five year olds act like babies for praise and attention. Can't see why a 3 or 4 year old wouldn't do the same.

Comment

Working...
            X