This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF maker?

A friend of mine is looking for a PDF maker. Yes, the best option is Adobe Acrobat but he doesn't have the money for that.

There are TONS of PDF makers out on the web and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any of them?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Does he need to be able to edit PDF files or just generate them?

If he just needs to generate them, try Primo. I use it on my Windows machine at work. You just "print" to it from any application.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Just generate - he has Word and an OLD version of PageMaker (I'm trying to convince him to get into the 21st century!).
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Switch to Open Office. Built in PDF generator.

At least he is not using nroff/troff...
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Ah, I never thought of that!! Excellent suggestion!

He upgraded from Elm to Pine last year.
          Last edited by draggar; 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

There are also PDF printer drivers out there; anything you print to it will be turned into a PDF document.

Comment

Cute PDF Writer

Sets up a virtual printer that creates PDFs.

I use it allll the time.

Comment

Kabe introduced me to PDFCreator
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

MS office 07 and up should have a PDF printer available from the microsquish site.
                  I use PDF creator. It's open source.
                  To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I used PDF995 before getting CS2 (with Acrobat, obviously). You have to look at ads, but it's free. Or you can pay them $9.95 to get rid of the ads (and maybe get some more functionality?). Installed as a "printer" so you'd use the Print option in whatever program you were using and select the program as your printer. Worked great, and had a bookmark tool as well so you could add your own quick links and such to the files you generated, and I think there was a splicing program as well so you could combine PDFs into one file.

OpenOffice has it too, but I don't use it because I have Acrobat now.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Just a side note -- If you've ever had Quicken/QuickBooks or Peachtree or anything from those 2 companies installed on yer comp, you will most likely see printers called "<programname> PDF Converter" in your list. These will NOT work as PDF printers for any program except the source prog in the name (even though, at least at one point, the QB and PT converters were the *exact same program*, and may yet be).

I'm using PDF995 right now, it works for me. I've used Primo in the past as well, and it I liked it, as well.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've had good success with BullZip PDF printer:
                        http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

Based on GhostScript, which is open source (GPL).

It shows up as a printer, so pretty much any document can be turned into a PDF.
                        Last edited by It's me; 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM.
                        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
                        X