This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fail Car is Full of Fail

I laughed so hard when I saw this car today. (Yes, I literally saw this very car while driving to work.) I couldn't get a picture since I was driving, but I noticed a For Sale sign in the car window so I checked Craigslist. Lo and behold, I found it listed with the above photo.

Either Toyota's quality control personnel were asleep on the job or our educational system has failed the owners of this vehicle.

If I had the money I'd purchase the Fail Car just to say I had it.

Okay, so, it took me a minute to notice what you're talking about. Is it the misspelled name on the rear? If so, it's possible that at some point, the name badge was stolen or simply came off, and an ignorant owner put the letters back on in the wrong order. That car is several years old at this point, a lot can happen in that time.
    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

Comment

If you check out other pics of that model, the letters are normally rather farther apart (and better centered) than on that car in the OP.

My vote is definitely on either they had it done themselves, or there was work done on the trunk, and the mechanic did it.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

*tries to resist, but can't*

Nah it is the second to last echo, which is broken. Something like ..

Pizza! (Echos) Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, Wombat, Pizza. (Cookies for reference .. though for some reason I don't think anybody here will claim these cookies..seeing as I think most people are over 13 or so...)
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
          If so, it's possible that at some point, the name badge was stolen or simply came off, and an ignorant owner put the letters back on in the wrong order.
          That's what I assumed, too. You'd think they'd be more careful about spelling it correctly since they're trying to sell the car.

Comment

It is possible that it came from the factory that way. When I worked for "car manufacturer", we'd get calls on occasion that came with the wrong parts installed. Brand A truck with a Brand B wheel hub. Since both brands were made on the same line, it can happen. Not a frequent problem, but anytime you've got humans involved, you have the possibility of human error.
            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
              It is possible that it came from the factory that way. When I worked for "car manufacturer", we'd get calls on occasion that came with the wrong parts installed.
              Very true. I had a "Friday" car that also appeared to have been designed based on old models that didn't actually work quite the same as the new line, so it had some really questionable design decisions on it (and then had some more added, after the fact).

However, the spacing wouldn't change, even if the letters got put into the feed in the wrong order. That's the thing that really makes me think it was due to some change or repair after it came off the line.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                However, the spacing wouldn't change, even if the letters got put into the feed in the wrong order. That's the thing that really makes me think it was due to some change or repair after it came off the line.
                I have a feeling that the owner tried to "customize" the car by removing the lettering. On many newer cars, the letters and badges are applied with adhesive, rather than by drilling into the panels. It's easier to install them that way, plus there's no possibility for rust. In the past, if you got a little moisture behind the badges/lettering, you'd be left with rust stains down the side of the car.

In this case, it wouldn't surprise me, that shortly after purchase, the owner simply peeled the letters off the car for a 'cleaner' look. Now that the car is being sold, they were reapplied so potential buyers won't know that the car was messed with.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  I have a feeling that the owner tried to "customize" the car by removing the lettering. On many newer cars, the letters and badges are applied with adhesive, rather than by drilling into the panels. It's easier to install them that way, plus there's no possibility for rust. In the past, if you got a little moisture behind the badges/lettering, you'd be left with rust stains down the side of the car.
                  Sounds like what happened to my stepmom's old car that she had back when she married my dad back in the early 80's. It had some rust around where the nameplate went on the back as well.

She had a 1973 Honda Civic 3 door hatchback. Peeling silver paint, hot sticky black interior and straight gear. The back hatchback where the lettering was was missing the "H" and the "N", leaving only the "O, D, and A." Never knew what happened to those two letters . . . and I bet if you went deep in her dad's back yard (next door to her and Dad's) you'll find a car graveyard and it just might be sitting there along with her old Ford Falcon and a couple of late 50's Mercury sedans.

My middle half sister nicknamed the car "The Oda." So if anyone asked her what kind of car her mom drove, she'd say "An Oda."
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

It was assembled in Canada.

(I'm Canadian, I'm allowed to say it.)
                    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post

Pizza! (Echos) Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, Wombat, Pizza. (Cookies for reference .. though for some reason I don't think anybody here will claim these cookies..seeing as I think most people are over 13 or so...)
                      Phineas and Ferb ... Ferb... Ferb .... Llama... Ferb

My nephews love the show

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                        Phineas and Ferb ... Ferb... Ferb .... Llama... Ferb

My nephews love the show
                        Huh, my echo is broken..got to have that looked at - Dr. D.

You are correct . I don't have the excuse of nephews or children..I like the show myself .
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Oh I do too, I just saw it for the first time with them

Comment

Yeah, somebody messed with the nameplate. I owned an echo for years until it got totaled. The nameplate on that one is about 1/3 what it should be. Rather amusing, though.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                            X