This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless keyboard advice

Hi folks. I have an HP Wireless Elite keyboard I got from the Goodwill for $20. I've seen this at Wally World before and other places for $50, but now I'm wondering why I got it used for so cheap: it seems to go through AAA batteries in a day.

I'm looking for a slim-style keyboard, but it doesn't have to be wireless. I've heard of some wireless keyboards on the market that, when not being used, put a far less drain on the batteries when not being used. It's almost as if the sensor shuts off and doesn't poll any user interaction until it senses that a button or key has been pressed. I've got a bunch of working, rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, but I can still go wired or wireless.

What are some of your opinions on wireless keyboards, slim or otherwise? I originally wanted the Apple wired slim keyboard, but being unemployed I don't like to spend so much on Apple stuff anymore (which is why I build Hackintoshes). I am looking to shop on NewEgg.com when I get my purchase but am not limiting myself to that site. Any suggestions?

I use a Logitech K800 Black USB RF Wireless Slim Illuminated Keyboard that works pretty well. It comes with rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries and charges via a USB cable. A charge usually lasts me a month or so. It works with their 'Unifying' wireless USB tech, so if you have a mouse or other addon that uses it, you can set them up to operate from the same USB transmitter.

It's not cheap, though. Newegg has it for $85.

Comment

I don't like wireless keyboards; I'm paranoid about broadcasting my typing and passwords all over the local area. Admittedly, there are very few people nowadays who know how to take advantage of that, and a lot of the hardware has decent encryption, but... I'm still paranoid.

Comment

I used the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000 Keyboard & Mouse ($74) for a while, and changed back to a wired keyboard and mouse. It seemed to me that the response time with the wireless keyboard and mouse was less than with the wired versions. At first I attributed the delay to weak batteries, but it happened too often to be weak batteries. I am now using the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500 ($25) and Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Gaming Keyboard ($63). I am very pleased with their performance.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'd try eBay. Last time I needed a keyboard was before the skinny ones came out, but there were a bunch of Apple keyboards available; $20 got me a pair of them, just in case one turned out not to work.
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Most wireless keyboards' batteries last a decent amount of time. If yours only lasts a day, there is something wrong with it.

I have a couple of wireless keyboards myself, but they don't get very much use. The wired versions are more reliable (important as a programmer and indeed for most games), but I keep a miniature keyboard with a built-in trackball by the bed and paired with the computer with the biggest monitor. This is good for dealing with videos and a small subset of games while being supremely lazy.

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback. I feel that I might go against my own advice, which is to test the keyboard firsthand before you buy. Since it's one of the pieces I'll be interacting with, I want to ensure that it feels comfortable. But how many stores other than the office stores do they have open models out for you to test?

I was hoping to find a way to turn a wireless keyboard into a wired one. Yeah, it's backward, but it would be a fun (famous last words) project.

Comment

It should be possible, if you can open it and find out how the keymatrix is set up. Search for "Model M USB conversion" or similar for an idea of what's required - you're looking for the one that replaces the control board, rather than just hardwiring in an adapter.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                  I was hoping to find a way to turn a wireless keyboard into a wired one. Yeah, it's backward, but it would be a fun (famous last words) project.
                  It could be fun. Back in the mid-1980s I rewired an PC keyboard to work with an Apple //e computer. It was a fun project.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've never been fond of wireless keyboards or mouses, but keep in mind I also do a lot of gaming, and the batteries always seem to die at the worst times.I find that a good mid-range wired keyboard and mouse work just fine for me, and there are USB extention cords if I need distance for some reason.

My current setup is a Z*Board keyboard and Logitech optical mouse I picked up at different times on deals from woot.com. I've had both for several years, though the keyboard has more letters worn off than still visible. Poor little WASD looks like they were always shiney black keys.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I think that's an issue with the keyboard - I've had several and batteries in the keyboard usually last months.

The mice- that's a different issue but I ended up getting rechargeable batteries and a charger. I haven't bought batteries for my mice in years.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I'm ok with the mouse. I've used a Logitech MX400 for a few years. The laser went out but it was still working, but then it showed signs of heavy use. I bought a similar-looking contoured mouse from Office Depot for $12 and it works fine. Since I'm using a Hackintosh, it seems there are sleep issues causing the devices to wake up from sleep, but I'll figure that one out on my own.

Comment

Working...
                        X