Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't argue with anyone. I will just say that no matter what the reason, I will always feel way sorrier for the victim than the perpetrator.

And it's worth noting that you can't always tell much about a person by how they appear to the outside world. Even by the way they treat you. People who commit crimes of any type don't walk around wearing signs saying "I'm a thief" or "I'm a child molester" or whatever. That's why it's so freaky when someone you know commits a crime that you didn't see coming.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

True enough, Moon Cat. A great example of that is this guy I hung out with somewhat in my second high school (my junior year). Seemed like a decent enough guy.

So imagine my surprise when years later (maybe 10?) I saw him profiled on America's Most Wanted. As I recall, he had gotten in a fight with this dude at a party, killed him, then took off in the victim's jeep, making it almost all the way across the country before he got caught. He was with the victim's girlfriend, which I think the initial fight was about, and while I think she went with him willingly but didn't have any part in the murder, she may have been kidnapped by him...it's been many years, and the exact details are kind of fuzzy, especially since I can't for the life of me remember the guy's name.

EDITED TO ADD: Wow. The amazing power of google. Just found virtually instantly an article detailing everything, and telling me that the incident happened not ten years after I hung out with the guy, but about 4, by which time I was firmly entrenched in my new life in Arizona. Yes, I can honestly say I've hung out with a murderer and kidnapper, though of course he was neither when we did so. And a little more googling found that this same guy is serving a 30-years-to-life sentence and is not eligible for parole until 2022.
      Last edited by Jester; 06-17-2012, 04:44 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        It's never excusable. It's never justifiable. But sometimes it can (and maybe even should) be forgiven.

Although forgiveness doesn't mean you let somebody off the hook for their actions.

Thankfully I'm quite over it, I don't talk about it much because it's a long-closed issue that has nothing to do with my current life, not because it's something I can't deal with.
        I feel you on all this.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
        X