This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Matches, coupons, and a hundred dollar bill

Price Matches A couple that came through my line left a couple of adds on the conveyor belt. After I scanned a few certain items, the lady chimed in. SL= Stupid Lady
    SL: Those items were price matches.
    Me: Excuse me?
    SL: They're on the adds right there.
    Me: Oh ok. Well just to let you know, you need to tell me about those.
    SL: The adds are right there.
    Pause for a second to let everyone here know that it is the CUSTOMER'S RESPONSIBILITY to tell us which items are price matches and what the competitor's price is. This is not our job, sorry. It takes way too long and there are other people waiting in line. 99.9% of the customers do it the right way. I'm not gonna do the work for you. You lazy people want the price matches, let me know what they are.
    Coupons This is partly my fault but easily corrected. This couple handed me coupons right at the beginning of the transaction, and I took them and set them off to the side, proceeding to ring everything up. Only thing was, I forgot to scan the coupons and didn't realize my mistake until the receipt had printed. I apologized profusely as this was an honest mistake and can happen to any cashier. I told them they can go to customer service and that they will refund the difference, but are they happy? We all know the answer to that. Of course, this lady looks at me like I just killed her kids or something
    Anyway, this is why I prefer customers to wait until the end of the transaction to give me coupons, as we tend to get very busy and when it gets busy there is always a chance of forgetting.
    But these people did not complain about the coupons surprisingly. No, they complained that I was rough with their groceries which was complete and total bullshit.
    Hundred Dollar Bill A customer asked for $100 cash back. I was very low on twenties, so I give him a hundred. DA= Dumbass
    DA: No, don't give me a hundred. I wanted twenties.
    Me: I'm sorry, I didn't have enough in my drawer.
    DA: Well then give me twenties and tens.
    Me: I don't have enough, the other customers cleaned me out, I am sorry.
    DA: This hundred dollar bill won't spend!
    Um hello you stupid dumbass! Its US currency, of course it will spend! This is not the first customer to object about getting a hundred. Personally, I don't see the big deal. Yes its the biggest denomination of money that we have, but so what? It still spends just as good. Most stores will not refuse to take a hundred, although I know of a few who won't take them.
    Me: If you go to customer service, they will break the hundred for you.
    Dumbass walks away like its the biggest inconvenience in the world. Well ask me if I give a fuck, because I don't. There are way more important things to get upset over believe me.
    Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 07-07-2012, 02:36 PM.

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
    Price Matches
    I'm so thankful that I've never worked in a place that does price matching. The extreme couponers are bad enough without giving them more incentive.

Coupons
    The coupons thing was an easy mistake and I've made it often enough. I swear it's like every person that walks through the line thinks that they are the only people in the store, or in the world and that there is no reason you could ever overlook something as trivial as the one dollar off for buying fifty dollars worth of crap.

Hundred Dollar Bill
    Like I said before, I can never understand a customer's mentality behind this, especially on an obviously busy day.

When I worked at Aid of Rite, the register wouldn't take a hundred as payment if I didn't have change for it. People would act shocked that we didn't have a big safe full of cash hidden somewhere.

As for the bill breakers, I sympathize, especially when you cash your check and that's all that the store gives you. But people, this is not a bank. Your bank is a bank. Go break it there.

Comment

I've had brain farts with the coupons as well. Not sure about your setup, but I found it helpful to choose a location in plain sight, and be consistent about setting the coupons there until the end. Most customers wanted to hand me coupons one at a time as I scanned each product. Much more efficient to scan the coupons all at once. And always putting them in the same place reduced the chance of me forgetting them.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If the hundred dollar bill won't spend, how did it end up in your drawer then?? Must be part of a government conspiracy. Printing money that can't be spent.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
          When I worked at Aid of Rite, the register wouldn't take a hundred as payment if I didn't have change for it. People would act shocked that we didn't have a big safe full of cash hidden somewhere.

As for the bill breakers, I sympathize, especially when you cash your check and that's all that the store gives you. But people, this is not a bank. Your bank is a bank. Go break it there.
          Tech's changed since. Now the registers will take the money even if you don't have change for it. And don't ask the managers to get you change at my one, you will get snarked at. So you have to bounce from register to register and hope that each one has change. Only then can you inconvenience the managers.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post

Anyway, this is why I prefer customers to wait until the end of the transaction to give me coupons, as we tend to get very busy and when it gets busy there is always a chance of forgetting.
            But these people did not complain about the coupons surprisingly. No, they complained that I was rough with their groceries which was complete and total bullshit.

Its US currency, of course it will spend! This is not the first customer to object about getting a hundred. Personally, I don't see the big deal.

First, let me say nothing excuses the rude behavior of any of the SCs in your stories, they were all in the wrong on how they reacted.

One point on the coupons, though, I know the newer register (I think) will reject a coupon if the item wasn't purchased, but many of us got into the habit of handing them over first back when cashiers were expected to make sure the customer had the item the coupon was for - and it was easier for them to keep an eye as they went, rather than have to glance into bags after to be sure. I even still see some older cashiers glancing at the coupons first, before setting them aside to ring up at the end (and maybe some older machines don't check, I've no idea). But old habits do die hard, and it never occured to me a cashier wouldn't want them handed over first (in fact, I've had cashiers hit the total at the end before I could get their attention to hand them the coupons after the last item, and then when I gave them the coupons give me one of "those" looks, like I was making extra work for them (and maybe on those particular registers, it was more work if they'd already hit total, I don't know). Thanks for the insight, though, that some cashiers dont' want them first, and why - I'd bet most that give them to you first are trying to be nice, but are clueless, as I was. But as I said, does NOT justify any rudeness on their part (would your company allow you to ask a customer to hold them til you finish? ).

As for the $100 bill, around here, almost no one will take one, in fact, more places than not won't even take a $50. If I received a $100 bill as change, unless I were heading straight to one of a very few huge stores that will take them, I'd have to make a trip to the bank to break it, assuming it was during banking hours. For quick cash on a weekend or evening, it truly would be useless at that point. That said, I wouldn't be rude, if I wanted cash back and they couldn't spare anything smaller, I'd just have to go to an ATM for cash. No excuse for rudeness to the cashier, a store is not a bank.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I will always mention I have a coupon right before they begin to ring me, but if I still have to get it out. This way they know, and are usually happy I've let them know.

My store doesn't really do coupons, but we have reward certs, and i can't tell you how many times i've rung someone up, and been done iwth their transaction when they remember they have one. which means I have to either get a manager to void the sale, and start over, or return and re-do. Can't you remember you have one before I finishing ringing you up?

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                As for the $100 bill, around here, almost no one will take one, in fact, more places than not won't even take a $50. If I received a $100 bill as change, unless I were heading straight to one of a very few huge stores that will take them, I'd have to make a trip to the bank to break it, assuming it was during banking hours. For quick cash on a weekend or evening, it truly would be useless at that point. That said, I wouldn't be rude, if I wanted cash back and they couldn't spare anything smaller, I'd just have to go to an ATM for cash. No excuse for rudeness to the cashier, a store is not a bank.
                It's just unfortunate that few and far between are those customers who ASK the cashier first if they think they have the cash in their drawer for cash back of X amount be it on checks or debit.

Comment

I very rarely have a $100 bill in my possession, and I'd be screwed if I did unless I was buying $100 worth of merchandise. I work the same hours as the banks are open. That means I can almost never get into a bank during banking hours. If I had to get $100 worth of change, I really don't know what I'd do. Maybe a customer service counter at the supermarket would break it--not sure.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My takes on:

Price Matches

All in the system. Doesn't match, let me know and I'll spend ten minutes looking at the sales paper trying to figure out why (and there is ALWAYS a reason). Usually it's because we scanned the store Patheticard instead of the customer's.

Coupons

I put coupons on the small bit of plastic at the end of the belt, in the hopes of badly-placed groceries pushing them right down a crevice to where I can't get to them and scan them. Of course, they never get pushed even though the groceries are placed badly. Anyway, the customer frequently grabs them where I had placed them and tries to hand them to me at the end of the order. I make a big deal of looking on the bit of plastic, lifting it to look under it, etc.

Oh, also when it doesn't get scanned, it's usually because the customer forgot to give it to me. "Oh, they can take care of that at the Service Desk."

It's a good thing they don't know that I can actually take care of it, because if they did I'd have a coupon override and several glaring customers.

Hundred Dollar Bill

Few people want a hundred dollar bill, and when they do they mention it specifically. But when I run out of twenties (and ONLY twenties), I make a special trip to the service desk and wait for someone to come out from behind a closed door before asking for change for my hundred.

Yeah, I'm being an asshole, but that's what SCs (along with everyone else-- proof that being an SC is not a victimless crime!) get for asking for cash back all the time!
                    Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

When we run out of twenties and/or tens, we will call for a loan of $200, and the sups will come over with some cash for your till. If we have hundreds, we can call them to break those bills down into smaller bills.
                      The only problem with this is that the sups don't always respond quickly (especially on weekends when they got more important things to do). I just don't think people should try to use us as a bank, plain and simple. And we do have an area that contains a pretty big amount of cash up near the registers with twenties, tens, fives, and ones, but that is there mostly for the sups to get quick easy access to cash in case any of the registers need them. I'm sure 1 of the sups will be able to break down a hundred for you.
                      Anyhow, this is 1 of many reasons I made the decision to use credit cards on every single transaction. Yes I know, some people prefer not to use them and that is definitely their right. But when you stop and think about it, you don't have to worry about breaking big bills, wait for change, etc. And a whole heck of alot faster than writing a check or searching through your purse/wallet for bills.

Comment

People think that the craft store is the bank. Every third day, my 2nd customer will be someone buying a 35 cent skein of cross stitch thread, with a 100 dollar bill. I call for change immediately. 9 times out of 10, they suddenly find a smaller amount of money. And it's not me just being a snot, that really would clean out my drawer, completely.

The other day, I had a customer get mad at me because I gave her back 25 dollars in 5's. She waited for the next customer. Then goes "gah, can I have a TWENTY??".

I didn't HAVE any damned 20's, otherwise, she'd have gotten a damned 20.

I freakin hate coupons today.
                        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post
                          People think that the craft store is the bank. Every third day, my 2nd customer will be someone buying a 35 cent skein of cross stitch thread, with a 100 dollar bill.
                          Be very wary about this. People who do this are more often than not a short change artist and they'll try to get you confused. On the other hand, you said you didn't have much cash in your till, so maybe they'll realize that they can't get anything from you except the change for their hundred.
                          Last edited by MadMike; 06-18-2012, 06:33 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Comment

Oh how I haaaaate coupons. Way back when, I used to eork in a craft store that ran regular coupons that very clearly stated 40% off ONE regular priced item, with exclusions clearly marked.

every damned day I heard:

"What do you mean I can't take 40% off my WHOLE order?"
                            "Why can't I use it on a sale item?"
                            "Why can't I use it on X item!?"

I could handle the questions, but these people were NASTY!

Funny thing is that we went to same store a while back and gave a coupon to my NINE year old daughter. She picked something out then said "I can't use this coupon because this thing is on sale." *happy mama moment*

Comment

Working...
                            X