Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few years ago, my mom and stepdad starting asking us five kids who wanted what when whatever happened happened. And they started making lists. And that is all well and good. And certainly there will be some disagreement among us over who gets what. Especially with my sisters. Be that as it may, I could not POSSIBLY be at the estate sale after my mother passed, as so much of her stuff is stuff that predates ME, and thus has been a part of my entire LIFE. So, if for some reason neither me nor my two sisters would or could take something of my mother's that fell into this category, if someone tried to haggle over it or, gods forbid, made a disparaging remark about it within my hearing, there is a good chance the police would be called to pry their decapitated skull from my hands. I could set prices on stuff, and organize stuff, but once the sale actually started, I would have to simply leave the premises, and entrust others to carry out the sale. I couldn't do it myself.

(NOTE: You may have noticed that I refererred to five kids, but when referring to my mom's stuff, only mentioned my two sisters and myself. That is because most of the stuff that would be on those lists would either be my stepfather's, and thus on the list of either my stepbrother or stepsister, or my mother's, and thus on the list of my two sisters or myself. Most of the stuff that my mother and stepfather have acquired together hold very little sentimental value for any of the five of us, since it happened beyond our childhood--our parents got together in 1986, when we were, respectively, 20, 17, 16, 15, and 15.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I have a few things from my deceased Mama and Papa (GGparents) and my Grandad and Granpa (Pops' side and Ma's side, respectively) that I will never part with. That being said, I've garage sale'd so many gifts and items of dubious origins that I received from them over the years I'll never remember it all. There are still things in the family that I *WANT*, whose current keepers have no-one else to pass it down to other than us cousins that I hope will one day be mine, regardless of whether or not I think I have the room for them. Too much of my family history has been bartered away because the current *keepers* of said history didn't recognize their value. Fer'instance, I know for a fact I'm the one getting all of G'mas hand made porcelains that she did when I was a kid. They are all either based on us Gkids (we were each supposed to claim our own doll upon her demise), or vintage family wedding photographs. I seem to be the only one who give a rat's patootie about how she took her hobby and used it to preserve and further the family history by basing the dolls and displays on genealogical photos. I know I won't be able to display them properly at first, but some day I will be, and I will be ever so proud to be able to when the time comes.

Comment

Quoth booMooDar View Post
        ..., or vintage family wedding photographs.
        While my aunt tends to be the theoretical "family historian", things like photos and slide come to me, so I've been gradually digitizing them over time. I even found a doohickey recently that transfers images from slides (which we have a TON of) into digital format.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          While my aunt tends to be the theoretical "family historian", things like photos and slide come to me, so I've been gradually digitizing them over time. I even found a doohickey recently that transfers images from slides (which we have a TON of) into digital format.

and what would that doohickey be? I have some slides I need to digitize!!
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            and what would that doohickey be? I have some slides I need to digitize!!
            I got it from Big Lots, of all places. Their "electronics" department doesn't seem to move much of anything fast, so check there, they may still have them. Around $50 buckazoids.

"Film & slide converter" from Innovative Technology. #ITNS-300

Here's the doohickey in question. http://www.ithomeproducts.com/35mm-n..._type=lightbox
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Very cool thanks!
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
              X