This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couch vs. shirt questions (long)

BG: I am an inveterate scrounger. If I'm walking in the street and I see something useful, I pick it up, or come back for it with a car. Always have, even back in grade school.

As a result, pretty much all of my furniture is hand-me-downs, whether inherited from grandparents or other relatives, or outright found in the street. Only things I bought new were the beds and my computer stand. What the heck, none of it matches, but it's all functional and I've never really cared what it looks like. One of these inherited pieces was a two-piece couch that had belonged to my sister's grandmother-in-law. It was nice, but an aging cloth-covered couch isn't really the best choice when you have little kids.

So a couple years ago, my next-door neighbors moved out, and left a nice leather couch behind: brought it down to the street, but never loaded it into the truck, just left it there on the sidewalk. I checked it out; it was in decent shape. Leather good except for one small tear that had been mended, springs not sagging, didn't stink of smoke, not full of cock-a-roaches, etc. To buy something like that, new, would cost a thousand dollars easy, and nobody wanted it (I did ask the landlord), so I grabbed it. It was way too heavy for one person to lift, so I tilted it, rolled two skateboards under one end and a dolly under the other, and shoved it up the driveway into the backyard, where I covered it with a tarp and left it. After a few weeks, I paid some movers $50 to shlepp it into my living room and bring the old couch up to the attic. This one the kids can't destroy, and if they do find a way, I'm not out anything except what it cost to move it. The only problem with it is a tendency for the leather to get sticky in humid weather.

So this afternoon, I was laying on the couch playing with my kids, and then they went off and did their own thing and I took a bit of a Shabbos nap. Slept for maybe half an hour, and when I woke up, I found myself literally glued to the damn thing. Couldn't sit up; I had to roll myself off it onto the floor, accompanied by a noise that sounded like ripping masking tape off the roll. I'd gotten stuck to it before, but nothing like this.

Then I took my off my formerly-white shirt, and found it like this:

The picture doesn't do it justice, because the flash washed it out somewhat, but let me tell you, the back of it is mostly black, and some of the neck as well. (I was wearing black trousers, so I couldn't tell you if they got it as well.)

(I'd seen stains like that before on my white or blue shirts, and I had no idea where they came from: was the shirt getting stuck under the agitator of the washing machine? (My mother had similar stains from the transmission leaking in her washer.) Scorched in the dryer? Did I lean on wet paint or a dirty car (several times)? Did one of the kids leave a crayon in their pocket? So now I know where they came from. Nothing I did could get the stains out, either.)

So: Do any of you have suggestions, imprimis, how to get these stains out of the shirts, or even if it's possible at all? and secundus, what to do to the couch so that it won't ruin the rest of my shirts? This was a cheap shirt in any case, but what happens if someone (like my wife, e.g.) sits down on it wearing a nice white dress? Can the leather be treated to remove excess dye, or am I just going to have to cover it with something? "Don't sit on it" isn't really an option here.

Any ideas?

I'd just throw an old comforter over it if it was me. (And, of course, if that sticks then it just means you don't have to keep straightening it )
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

It is leather, and thus can be cleaned so that it doesn't leave future stains, I would imagine. However, since it has never left stains like this before, my guess is that it is not the couch itself causing such things, but some of the couch denizens you have there. Hint: they're shorter than you and have toys.

You may want to make the cleaning of the couch a regular thing.

Alternatively, you could just cover it with a nice blanket, comforter, throw rug, etc., especially in the summer months when it gets stickier.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        It is leather, and thus can be cleaned so that it doesn't leave future stains, I would imagine. However, since it has never left stains like this before, my guess is that it is not the couch itself causing such things, but some of the couch denizens you have there. Hint: they're shorter than you and have toys.
        I think Jester has a point, especially since one of the stains looks to me like a shoe print.

SC
        "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

*nod* Looks and sounds like a good thorough cleaning is in order (saddlesoap?), then perhaps a good rubdown with some leather conditioner. I'd bet that at least part of the stickiness of the couch comes down to spilled sugary drinks, and grungy little handses and feetses climbing all over it are, ahem, leaving their mark.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Now you know why they left it behind?

I would consult a professional and get their opinion (maybe check with furniture stores for recommendations or dry cleaners that do leather). If it really is the couch causing the stains, you should be able to find a decent slipcover relatively cheap (definitely cheaper than a new couch).
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-17-2012, 08:06 PM.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Hmmm. My aunt's old couch did that but that was because she used shoe polish in a bad (really bad) attempt to recolour it (wince, shoepolish excess needs to be buffed off)

Find some good leather cleaner and give it a good scrub then some PROPER protector stuff. My mum used some sort of floor polish spray on her couch and everyone who sat on it ended up sliding off onto the floor for months.

Agree with BroSCFisher with the shoeprint. Methinks your kids may have tried to do some colouring in and try to find a cover for the couch. An old bedsheet just tucked around the lowest/base cushions in a contrasting colour works well and will save people from getting the leather sticky velcro on their butts and it's a lot easier to clean than a whole couch.

Comment

Quoth Zaiida View Post
                My mum used some sort of floor polish spray on her couch and everyone who sat on it ended up sliding off onto the floor for months.
                The mental picture made me
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  *nod* Looks and sounds like a good thorough cleaning is in order (saddlesoap?), then perhaps a good rubdown with some leather conditioner. I'd bet that at least part of the stickiness of the couch comes down to spilled sugary drinks, and grungy little handses and feetses climbing all over it are, ahem, leaving their mark.
                  Don't think it's from sticky drinks; it's not sticky to the touch, just when you sit on it for a while.

We have a rule: no shoes on the couch, and it's pretty well adhered to. Of course bare feet get dirty too, especially if they run around the house without shoes.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  Now you know why they left it behind?
                  Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing myself...

One problem is that the cushions look like three seperate pieces, but they don't come off. It would make it a lot easier if I could take the cushions somewhere to be cleaned and repaired (the middle one has a couple small tears), or even just flip them over, but they're actually sewn on, or maybe even made from one whole cow. If there's any way of disassembling this thing, I don't know it. Result is, any repair work, whether by me or a professional, is going to have to be done here, because I'm not schlepping this thing out again. It weighs more than I do.

I've done a bit of research on this. Apparently the way they color the cheaper couches is that first they dye the leather, then they cover it with some sort of polyurethane. Once that wears off, the dye layer is exposed and starts getting on stuff. There's an forum at this url run by a guy who sells all sorts of dyes and sealants for restoring leather furniture; obviously it's mostly geared toward selling his product, but there's some useful info there as well. I think I'll post there for specifics on this one.

Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

also, if you have one, visit your local Leather shop - they may have advise or product to help with not only taking care of the couch, but also the clothing - fortunately with a white shirt, you should be able to bleach it... if it doesn't bleach out then 1 bottle black RIT dye and now you have a nice Black work shirt!
                    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Working...
                    X