This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently we are the worst people

Two from today. I'll copy the incident reports and omit the identifying information.

Our Maint Man is racist and rude!

[SC] came to the front desk and said that she did not like how Maint Man talked with them about trash and cigarette butt's in front of their room. She said back in 2003 when they stayed they had the same issues with him. She thinks Maint Man has an issue with her sons because they are mixed.
    A few things to add to Other MOD's report:
    - Maint Man saw SC's son, who he knew was associated with the room.
    - Maint Man asked that they not fling cigarette butts on the ground, and gave them an ashtray to set outside their room.
    - SC and her other son came a short while later and verbally attacked Maint Man for accusing the first son of making the mess.
    - SC told her son Maint Man was rude because the son was mixed race.

It should be noted that (1) Maint Man is the same race as SC, and (2) Maint Man has a wife of a different race, which should put how Maint Man feels about blended families in a clear light for you readers.

They also left this on their comment card (spelling errors included):
    [Maint Man] was harassing & a pain in the butt. [Maint Man] is a rud little basterd and needs his position re-evaluated.
    Maint Man was worried about them calling Corporate Guest Relations. I told Maint Man he had nothing to worry about and that he was just doing his job. Area Manager gave the OK to ban these SCs once they check-out.

We discriminate against the homeless

Here's the one I got to write tonight that happened on my shift:

[SC] checked in during the evening as a walk-in. At the time, the only non-smoking rooms I had available were on the highway side. He checked in and I gave him earplugs.

He came down three hours later saying the highway noise was so loud he couldn't hear the TV. By then, [Maint Man] had cleared a room away from the highway to be rented after patching the shower. I let [SC] check the room, since it still was airing out and had a bit of chemical smell. [SC] declined the room because the smell was too strong.

Half an hour later, [SC] came down and began ranting at me about how we were discriminating against him because he was homeless. He says that homeless people have few choices since most other hotels require credit cards, and we always give him the worst rooms. He says it is unfair that "rich Canadians" get the good rooms and he doesn't.

I explained that guests will make reservations specifically requesting the quiet side, and that he could reserve a room ahead of time as a 6pm hold without a credit card and make a request for the quiet side and we would honor it. I explained that if there was a quiet room available I would give him one, but there were none left and I couldn't kick someone out of a room who was already booked. [SC] said I was full of it and he wasn't going to spend another dime with us. I told him that was his choice. Then he stormed out of the office.
    I would also like to note that a few of our "rich Canadians" are along the same side he is on tonight. While I am unsure of the living situations of the people on the quiet side tonight, I know they are not all "rich Canadians". Two of them at least are business travelers. I can also provide references of a few people who are transients who regularly stay on the quiet side. They have the sense to reserve the rooms ahead of time by coming early in the morning.

To this SC's credit, he did come down and apologize for taking it out on me.

Bonus: SC gets pwned by a housekeeper

I unfortunately lack the finer details here. To provide some background, CW is from another country. She can understand English perfectly well, but she has a fairly thick accent, so you need to listen carefully sometimes to understand her.

A few days ago, SC asked CW something. CW asked a clarifying question, and SC started going off on her, talking over her and calling her stupid.

Housekeeper overheard from the breakroom and jumped in, and saying "Hey, this is CW, and for your information she understands English perfectly well. Now what the hell do you want?!?!" SC stopped his ranting and curtly told HK what he wanted, and she got him sorted out.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The last story reminds me of the front desk employee I worked nights with a lot at a really nice hotel who was from Russia and married to an American and currently going to school. I swear that every 3rd customer was a smart*ss and asked "So you're from Russia; are you, like, a mail order bride!? Yuck-yuck!" And still others if she had to run an item to a room tried to get her to 'perform a little extra service' She was no pushover though!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

"Extra service? you mean like not reporting you to the police for soliciting prostitution? well so long as you don't actively solicit it in front of me, I am not required to contact the police." (of course, only useful in the many places where it is as illegal to solicit a prostitute as it is to be one

Comment

Ugh. So the first SC....

Last night, Night Auditor gets a complaint from next door about the noise. He calls SC and tells them to quiet down. SC says it isn't them; it's the TV. A few minutes later, SC calls back and says it wasn't them at all; that they were sleeping. (Night Auditor checked to see that their light was on before calling them.)

They complained in the morning and demanded compensation. The really sucky part is, Area Manager said to go ahead and refund them for a week! WTF?!?! At least he said we can ban them. Other MOD is trying to get them banned company-wide.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
        X