This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer failing to start on Win 7 64 Bit

This happened a bit of a while ago, but I'd really like to fix it. It's not really a problem issue, just annoying, still...

A while ago, I booted up my Win 7 machine to have CHKDSK run at boot. I skipped over it, thinking it was another random check, and since I had run it last week, didn't really need to.

It booted fine, started Explorer, but then kept popping up with some of Opera's files are corrupted, and I should run CHKDSK to fix this.

I do go to commandline and run CHKDSK on the main drive (C: ), with the switch for fix bad files and sectors on. I let it run, it takes an abysmally long time (5 hours), and then it boots normal. Sort of. It never booted Explorer as a shell, and I had to go to the task manager to start explorer.exe myself.

Now, I can do this every time it boots, but it's really something I'd like to fix. I Googled it once and found a solution involving RegEdit and checking to see Explorer.exe was the shell listed (it was), so I've got nothing else.

Help?

What did the RegEdit solution involve? That's getting to the deeper stuff but it can make a big difference.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
      What did the RegEdit solution involve? That's getting to the deeper stuff but it can make a big difference.
      In short, it involved making sure Explorer.exe is the shell at startup.

In long, here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...not-start.html

EDIT: I didn't notice the second solution with SFC the first time around, I swear. Am currently following the SFC scan, to see what happens.
      Last edited by Krysalis; 06-22-2012, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X