This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me inconvenience or give me death

Today, the swamp started another Super Duper Uber Mega Super Stupendous Lowest Prices of the Season sale. I stopped in to buy a pair of jeans and a few other things, because prices won't be this low until....late next month or sometime in August, when we have our Back to School Super Duper Uber Mega Super Stupendous Lowest Prices of the Season sale, which is not to be confused with this one.

There was a sizable line for the the three open checkout lanes. This was at about 4 in the afternoon. Generally we don't get slammed with the after-work shoppers until 5, so I take it today was a busy day.

Behind me in line was some old guy with a walker and some woman who must've been a daughter or a caretaker. Among his purchases was one of those inflatable doughnut cushions that's good to sit on if you have hemorrhoids.

One of the cashiers called for additional cashiers to the checkouts to get the line moving. Shortly after that the woman at the jewelry counter stepped out and announced she could check out people as well.

The old man behind me started to complain. "It would be stupid for me to go all the way over there! All the stores in town do this! They make you wait in long lines to check out! That's why everybody goes out of town to shop!"

And then he continued to complain as I and the rest of the people in front me checked out before got his turn at the register.

I get that he may not have been physically able to walk to the jewelry counter, but for Cthulu's sake shut your piehole and stop complaining! She was only trying to help.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

People in our state--especially those over 50--need to complain. I hate it.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      My fiance's Father is a prime example. The man is NOT satisfied unless he's found something to complain about. You could set up a personal shopper who would run around and do EVERYTHING for him, including taking the stuff through the checkout and loading it in his car, and he'd complain about the personal shopper's hair colour or gender. I have honestly NEVER seen that man 100% completely satisfied about anything, ever.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Now, now, plenty of us "over 50's" are quite nice. On the rare occasion I give a retail worker an attitude I can guarantee you that a. it's about something specifically they did or is under their sole control and b. they gave me an attitude first. I don't put up with crap from anyone, but I'm very pleasant if not provoked

I think the "have to complains" are in all age groups, as well as all sizes, genders, socio-economic groups, etc. The princesses, soccer moms, ganster wanna be's - complainers come in all types.

I think perhaps a little of the tendency for the really elderly to be on the grumpy side an stem from constant frustration - you hit the 70's, especially, and nothing on a person's body or mind works as they're used to, more aches & pains & trouble moving every day, often financial problems cause even those who saved for retirement are finding it isn't covering what it should have, hassles with insurance, everything you learned how to do is changing and you can't keep up (phones & technology in general), losing independence, and knowing that's it's all only going to get worse, never better, and the end is approaching. Not that it excuses total SC behaviour, but still, it does explain a tendency to be grumpier than someone young & healthy.

Just sayin'

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I probably do complain more than I used to...because I'm makin' up for lost time. See, I spent my 20's and 30's, and a good part of my 40's, being way too meek for my own good. People could short-change me, cheat me out of something that I had earned, be rude as hell to me, whatever, and I would just be too self-conscious to object. That's OVER, kiddies. I stand up for myself now.

HOWEVER.

I try not to complain without good reason. And I try to be very pleasant and polite to retail workers, restaurant workers, etc., because they get enough crap from everybody else. I'm just not willing to TAKE any crap anymore, is all.

As for the old man, his comment reminds me of this remark by (I think) Yogi Berra, about some nightclub or other: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The old man behind me started to complain. "It would be stupid for me to go all the way over there! All the stores in town do this! They make you wait in long lines to check out! That's why everybody goes out of town to shop!"
            it's not like she was forcing him to go there.

what a pain in the ass

Comment

Now Now with that attitude I am going to have to complain as it seems to be a requirement now (as I am over 50).
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
              X