This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MadMike View Post
    Now Win8 is coming out, and I really don't feel like upgrading again right now. It seems like I haven't been on 7 that long, and I just got rid of XP not too long ago. Plus, a lot of the things I'm hearing about 8 leads me to believe I'm going to pass on this one, like I did with ME and Vista.
    Same here. Windows is getting to be like Star Trek films...One version sucks, the next rocks. I would like to give a shout-out to Win2000, it was a wonderful bridge between win98se and XP Pro for me...thank Gord for ntcompatible.com (I'm a gamer, you see, and 2000 was an NT derivative. Said site made running games MUCH less hassle on a platform very much NOT designed to do gaming. Cookie for the first person who can tell me what NT stands for without looking it up!)

How did that SciFi channel ad go, again...? Oh yeah:

"Rules of the Universe: Starships don't float. Klingons love Shakespeare. Even-numbered Trek films don't suck."

This was their tagline for a Star Trek 2/4/6 marathon ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

IF memory serves me NT stood for New Technology????? for some reason that stuck with my although I am most likely wrong.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

RM -- Nope, you're right! (How often are you gonna hear THAT one?) -- *hands over a 15-foot bacon chocolate cookie*

...Anybody got an 18-wheeler? I need to get that mug of cold milk in here, too...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I think the commonly accepted reason why even numbered MS OS updates don't suck is because they aren't usually 'real' OS updates... The Odd numbered OS updates are when they do the big underlying system changes that breaks a lot of things and such and usually takes until SP1 or SP2 to truly stabilize. Then once everything is good and stable, they basically rerelease the OS (with all the SP's of course, including the unreleased SP that will make the new OS 'better') as the new baseline and market it as a 'new' OS; but since nothing has majorly changed, it goes smoothly and just feels better.

Granted usually the Even OS's have a lot more going on than we see, but it certainly does seem that way. (which is why Win8 looks so hinky so far; they're rejigging a lot of the systems especially the UI, which is going to break a lot of things. Win9 will probably look a lot like 8 with some minor improvements, but everyone will 'love' it)

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
            What I find most amusing about Manager #3 is that, personally, I ran Windows 7 on a seven-year-old net book that originally had Windows XP.

I just love it when people who don't know computers try to talk as if they do, it's very cute. Kind of like listening to a little kid talk about the adventure he had in the backyard this afternoon.
            I ran windows 7 on a Pentium III... It didnt run fast, but it ran and was usable.
            There Can Be Only One

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
              We're coming to the end of a Win 7 roll out at work. The fun thing is they give you only 15 minutes scheduled time to get a new password generated, and install all of you programs on the new system. Wound up taking me an hour & a half, and I'm one of the more computer-savy people on my team. I was one of the later people to get the upgrade, so no major software issues. I've been running Win 7 at home for the last 3 yeas, and have been happy with it. My old ME machine is now serving as a doorstop to keep the kitten from getting into the cabinet under the bathroom sink. So far, that's the only thing it's done without a BSOD.
              Wow, I feel so nice now. I install their applications for them and even copy their data over if needed.

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              IF memory serves me NT stood for New Technology????? for some reason that stuck with my although I am most likely wrong.
              Hmm...

At the time they had a mobile version if Windows - Windows CE
              And Millennium or Windows ME
              ANd NT - Windows NT

MS - CE ME NT

.. and people day MS doesn't have a sense of humor.

With the exception of NT it's pretty fitting, too, heavy, cumbersome, and hard to change once it's set in and if anything happens during installation it's permanant.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                At the time they had a mobile version if Windows - Windows CE
                And Millennium or Windows ME
                ANd NT - Windows NT

MS - CE ME NT
                I take it you've never seen this.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  I take it you've never seen this.
                  I can only imagine what they'll say about Windows 8 coming up.

Erm . . . speaking of 8, here's this
                  Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I ran Win7 on my decade old XP machine for RC and full, thank you. Though, I've since built a new computer, which runs it quite nicely. :P

Comment

We had no problem with Windows ME for the most part at home, although it did take some fiddling trying to set a very basic network up between that computer and my Windows 95 computer (meaning that I could get internet in there...this was back when we first got broadband and it wasn't wireless )
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

This is reminding me of when I got my first Linsys wireless router (yup, the venerable wrt 54g)...After 3 failed attempts to get it set up exactly according to the manual, I gave up some of my pride as a techie and called in to tech support. I ID'd myself as a geek to the dude on the line, which made things quicker.

His instructions began with "OK, pop out the installation CD and throw it away". He had me up and running in five minutes ^_^

Comment

Quoth Duncan MacLeod View Post
                          I ran windows 7 on a Pentium III... It didnt run fast, but it ran and was usable.
                          That's the kind of machine WinFLP was made for.

I have an ancient laptop that I bought at a yard sale for ten bucks. I mean it was ancient even years ago when I bought it. I think it has a Pentium 75 in it, and 8 meg of RAM (upgradable to 40 meg) ...

I'm curious to see what's the newest MS OS that I can shoe-horn in there. Complicating matters is that you can't install from CD, because it's got no CD-ROM drive. . . and you can't hook up an external CD-ROM drive either, because it's got no USB ports either . . . so unless you can find a rare and expensive PCMCIA<-->SCSI card and an equally rare and expensive SCSI CD-ROM drive, you're stuck with 1.44MB floppies. I do have a PCMCIA<-->USB card somewhere, but right now I think it's running MSDOS 6.0, which doesn't have any USB drivers either. Simplest way to upgrade would probably be to extract the HD from it, put it an external HD case, make a new partition, copy the install CD to it, and let it install from there. Can always repartition afterwards.

edit: Just fired it up and checked. Pentium 100, 814Mb hard disk, 8 meg RAM, color LCD, main and CMOS batteries dead. I used to run Win98 on a P100 years ago.
                          Last edited by Shalom; 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X