This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Ger - I never did understand why the Big N felt that stiffing the stores staffed by gamers who would (a) buy Wii's themselves, (b) educate themselves about the systems and games, and (c) move more product (including games), was a good idea.
    Because if you inundate the market right off people quickly lose interest but if you keep the supplies trickling in you keep the hype (and demand & prices) up for quite a while.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

draggar - good point. But, as was mentioned by others above, big box stores tended to get shipments an order of magnitude larger than ours were. GS was still getting 12 units at a time on intentionally unpredictable schedules a *year later*, while WM/TRU and the like were apparently getting 50 at a time from the start >_< They had plenty of games to send us, tho.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        Because if you inundate the market right off people quickly lose interest but if you keep the supplies trickling in you keep the hype (and demand & prices) up for quite a while.
        Plus you get to talk in the media about how you've sold all your units and demand is still high--even though you caused the shortfall. Most media outlets are not very well versed in supply side issues of business, and don't really understand maker-created supply issues unless someone tells them its important.

You had other consoles outselling the Wii because they put out product, but Wii held the headlines because it was sold out for weeks. Great publicity for the big N among people who don't really pay attention to videogames, normally.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          Wii held the headlines because it was sold out for months to a year, depending on the area.
          Fixed that for ya
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I know... I got my console back in early '08, not long after Brawl released. I still had to wait outside at the bullseye on a shipment day before the store opened.

However, the wait and claiming was orderly, and when I needed to go to an ATM to get the cash instead, they were able to hold on to it while I did.

This was at least April, as I had waited a little bit after the game's release.

Comment

Working...
            X